Thread: London fire.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I do not wish to be the person right now in whos appartement the fire started. The guilt will be immense, i do however have very little compassion for the building care takers and owners and i feel the correct response in their attempt to save money on security and maintenance to be almost completely stripped of their wealth to pay for material, physical and emotional suffering caused.
    If the home owner legit had something horrible happened that caused the fire, then why would he feel guilt? He did what he could. Unless he fled without warning anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    Aside from hearing that most of the tenants are muslim I'm not sure this is terrorism......

Here's a live stream
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPT-zk50_G4
    Probably retaliation for the many deaths caused by certain religious fringe groups tbh.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    If the home owner legit had something horrible happened that caused the fire, then why would he feel guilt? He did what he could. Unless he fled without warning anyone.
    Rationally correct, emotionally you still would feel terrible and guilty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    ...I... I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Do you not know about the Great Fire of London that happened in the late 1600s? Because that was Muslims, right? /s

OT, It's unfortunate what happened, I think I heard on the radio about an hour ago roughly 12 people died from the fire and 45 people are in hospital. Was there a confirmed cause of it? I've been told it was from a fridge malfunction or something to that effect.
    The comment was a joke making fun of the people blaming muslims already in the thread. Zelk is a left wing geordie. Its clearly sarcasm (mod obvs didnt see the context)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Probably retaliation for the many deaths caused by certain religious fringe groups tbh.
    no its reported to be a fire in one of the flats (faulty fridge or whatver) then the cladding on the side of the building put up to make it look prettier for the luxury flats across the way acted as an accelerant or a chimney that spread the fire rapidly across the outside of the building.

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    no its reported to be a fire in one of the flats (faulty fridge or whatver) then the cladding on the side of the building put up to make it look prettier for the luxury flats across the way acted as an accelerant or a chimney that spread the fire rapidly across the outside of the building.
    It seems like fire code would be against that sort of thing. Don't buildings have to run these sort of additions through the local fire ordinances?
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    How does a fire even get to that point in the building like this? Sprinklers, fire doors, fire dampers, fire resistant penetration seals... How does it spread enough to fully engulf a building that size without something seriously fucked going on?
    one word
    "Conservatives"
    Quote Originally Posted by thelondoneconomic
    Jeremy Corbyn tried to pass through a law that would required private landlords to make their homes safe and “fit for human habitation” last year – but it was rejected by the Conservatives.
    source

To put it in simple terms, The conservatives, not only blocked but actively rejected reforms that could have prevented this disaster.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    pretty crazy how it managed to burn so fast considering the fire service was there in like 6 mins.

I find it hard to believe it was an exploding refrigerator but no doubt they'll do the csi thing after its done smouldering and figure out what or if any accelerantswere used like petrol or whatever, could be just regular arson.
    Theres not going to be anything left to "CSI" any "evidence" would have been reduced to less than ash as that fire was burning for several hours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You can get 0 money down mortgages through the FHA program or VA loan program
    That doesn't change the COLOSSAL fact that England doesn't have enough land to put everybody in high-rise flats into individual houses

- - - Updated - - -

It's already going to be a logistical nightmare rehoming the surviving residents of this one flat

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    That doesn't change the COLOSSAL fact that England doesn't have enough land to put everybody in high-rise flats into individual houses

- - - Updated - - -

It's already going to be a logistical nightmare rehoming the surviving residents of this one flat
    Eh, you'd be surprised. People will volunteer rooms, plus it's not like they have furniture to move.

You can get 0 money down mortgages through the FHA program or VA loan program
    You can get 3% down and anyone with any significant student loan debt is ineligible due to high DTI ratios, because the cost of education has outpaced incomes. Which is why there is a rental housing crisis at the moment in the US.

Edit: VA program might be 0% down, I forget the details of that program. I agree that people should move towards home ownership but there are reasons why people aren't owning, not all of them are renting out of choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 3DTyrant View Post
    ...I... I can't tell if you're being serious or not. Do you not know about the Great Fire of London that happened in the late 1600s? Because that was Muslims, right? /s
    I hope he was being sarcastic.

Deleted
    I hope the victims and their families get heavily reimbused and the owner jailed.

Its often cheaper to buy one than it is to rent a tiny apartment in a big city tower. I paid $220,000 for my house ($1500.00 a month) and its 3 bed 2.5 bath 1800 Sq feet, or you can rent a 900 Sq ft apartment in new york city for $3000 a month. Plus you pay for apartment rent forever and a home is paid off in 10 to 30 years
    Squarefeet? What. the. fuck.
    Why not use international metrics?
    Last edited by mmocd03f375e36; 2017-06-14 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulslaver View Post
    I hope the victims and their families get heavily reimbused and the owner jailed.

Squarefeet? What. the. fuck.
    Why not use international metrics?
    Because in America real estate is ALWAYS measured in square feet?? Why should we go through the trouble of converting units for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    one word
    "Conservatives"
    source

To put it in simple terms, The conservatives, not only blocked but actively rejected reforms that could have prevented this disaster.
    Between this and Theresa May accusing police of "crying wolf" over concerns cuts might lead to an increased risk of terrorist attacks, how the fuck are people still voting Conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by AndyF1069 View Post
    http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/...183514#ICID=FB

This really got to me. To be so afraid of what is happening in your home that you feel your baby has a better chance of survival at being dropped out of a 10th floor window. And what of the mother herself?
    Imagine the pressure on the guy that caught the baby, how shit would you feel if you butterfingered it? That guy is a legit hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Novel thought; seize investment properties that people aren't actively being rented out or lived in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Between this and Theresa May accusing police of "crying wolf" over concerns cuts might lead to an increased risk of terrorist attacks, how the fuck are people still voting Conservative?
    They don't really care. It is not them dying.

Those 1960s prefab houses are a deathtrap!

Modern flats and houses should be made with strict flame retarded materials unlike this tinderbox
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2017-06-15 at 12:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jfhsgtresg View Post
    Those 1960s prefab houses are a deathtrap!

Modern flats and houses should be made with strict flame retarded materials unlike this tinderbox
    Doesn't change the fact that neither the local council nor the greater government felt the need to, I don't know, require high density buildings to have sprinklers and functional fire alarms. Or that the building was 'refurbished' with cladding to make it more attractive which helped spread the fire.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Doesn't change the fact that neither the local council nor the greater government felt the need to, I don't know, require high density buildings to have sprinklers and functional fire alarms. Or that the building was 'refurbished' with cladding to make it more attractive which helped spread the fire.
    You ever been in those flats? I used to be a postman and i never went into one that even had the lift aka elevator working never mind a sprinker system!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jfhsgtresg View Post
    You ever been in those flats? I used to be a postman and i never went into one that even had the lift aka elevator working never mind a sprinker system!!!
    Yes, and this is an issue with the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Yes, and this is an issue with the government.
    Like everything else its never a issue until something catastrophic happens but you can bet you will see alot of investments into these old 1960s blocks of flats!