Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The Arrow was basically a twin engine F-106, they would have stopped being a competitive fighter in the 1980s at best.
    The issue was more that it effectively buried the only company making fighter planes for the Canadian military. Rather than paying American or European jet manufacturers, we'd have kept the jobs and been able to control the costs and demand fairly easily. The Canadian federal government killed 50k jobs by canning the Arrow project. It was advanced for the 60s, which could have given rise to even better jets as the years went by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The issue was more that it effectively buried the only company making fighter planes for the Canadian military. Rather than paying American or European jet manufacturers, we'd have kept the jobs and been able to control the costs and demand fairly easily. The Canadian federal government killed 50k jobs by canning the Arrow project. It was advanced for the 60s, which could have given rise to even better jets as the years went by.
    Avro would not have survived the consolidations of the 1990s most likely (even the US only has 3 viable combat jet manufacturers now), and it would have had to compete against the F-4 and then the F-16 to even get there.

I don't know what Canada's military budget needs are, but I highly doubt they need to waste as much money as we do for defense spending.

How does the old addage go? 2 times zero is still zero?

Oh I forgot. Is this increase before or after their 50% cut in military spending?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    You're going to have to spend a lot more than 73% increase.

Canadian military Budget is 18.6 Billion.

US military Budget is 597 Billion.

Try increasing your budget by about 3000%. Saying that.. man do we waste a lot of money on the military industrial complex, because I can tell you the actual military probably sees about half that.
    Canadian math.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Avro would not have survived the consolidations of the 1990s most likely (even the US only has 3 viable combat jet manufacturers now), and it would have had to compete against the F-4 and then the F-16 to even get there.
    Well, one of the reasons it failed is because they were trying to compete with other companies on the international market, maybe they should have just focused on developing the fighter jets for the Canadian military rather than trying to be an international supplier. It's a shame that Avro going defunct cost 50,000 jobs in 1962, that'd be a big deal today.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Well, one of the reasons it failed is because they were trying to compete with other companies on the international market, maybe they should have just focused on developing the fighter jets for the Canadian military rather than trying to be an international supplier. It's a shame that Avro going defunct cost 50,000 jobs in 1962, that'd be a big deal today.
    Canada doesnt buy enough fighters to justify the cost, hence why it failed.

You guys are brave being critical of Canadia. I have learned not to do that.

5+ Year Old Account
    Man, these nations talking of increasing spending, sabre-rattling and whatnot is kinda worrying. I suppose it's always been a thing, but now it just seems louder. That and how there just seems to be so much pressure mounting up. Soon, I fear, something's gonna give and when it does it wouldn't be surprising if it's something that many of us in the West aren't watching on the TV, but instead before our very eyes.

A 73% increase in defense spending means that our troops will also get a large fry and a coke with their Big Mac for lunch.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    The Texas National Guard, their state militia, is about the same size as Canada's military.
    To be fair, Texas has about the same population as Canada too - so that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't know what Canada's military budget needs are, but I highly doubt they need to waste as much money as we do for defense spending.
    The polar bears will quiver in fear as our 88 new fighter jets flood the skies of the desolate north.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    To be fair, Texas has about the same population as Canada too - so that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

The polar bears will quiver in fear as our 88 new fighter jets flood the skies of the desolate north.
    Duddly Doright with an AR-15?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Duddly Doright with an AR-15?
    Duddly carried a Colt New Service revolver.

If the US fell away as a world power, China would fill its shoes, not Canada.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Canada has a military!?

This has to be the most hilarious bait I've ever seen. 88 Fighters and 5,000 new soldiers, what a joke. Also, just thought I'd point out that the Marine Corps alone is almost 3 times larger than the entire Canadian Armed Forces, so again rofl
    Last edited by Derpleton; 2017-06-15 at 08:38 AM.