Poll: Is modern WoW the same WoW you fell in love with?

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    The game is a shadow of what it once was.

I'm enjoying Black Desert online somewhat, it reminds me a little bit of vanilla wow, lively game world and taking a long time to level up etc. just so much more of an mmo than what wow has become.

I really do think its time for vanilla servers blizzard. it's beyond a joke now.

Or they could do something similar with what they have done with Black Temple and scale everyone back to level 70 and all the quests and content become relevant again, but i just dont see it working the same as a proper legacy server where everyone starts off wit ha clean slate again, it would bring renewed interest to this dying game without a shadow of a doubt.

WoW has just lost its magic. I hate to say it but the current direction of WoW has been focused on money more than the heart, adventure, and soul that the original developers had for the game. Of course money was a factor in that, but the game wasn't designed by giant companies/corporations like Activison, etc. it was designed by people who loved games so much that they were oozing with passion because they wanted to create a world where they, themselves enjoyed.

I mean the list goes on and on of the great things they have removed from the game but here are some

No reforging
    No gemming
    No enchanting
    Class/ spec design sucks (rogues no longer feel like rogues, Shadow priests no longer feel like shadow priests ect)
    No PvP vendors
    No world PvP
    No Duels
    No Horde v Alliance city raids
    There's no huge PvP place like tol barad or wintergrasp
    World quests are just Daily quests
    No honor or conquest points
    No Valour points
    No justice points (think they're called justice points)
    No exploration
    No RPG element in the game
    Leveling is absolutely pointless now
    The glyph system has been removed
    AP grind sucks
    Class fantasy removed (going to class trainers to learn a new spell)
    Class specific vendors (buying poisons from vendors to make poisons, buying ammo for your bow as a hunter)
    Pet happiness for Hunters (stocking up on meat for your pet so it doesn't abandon you)

I mean just look at all of the good things they have removed from the game to make it as simplistic as possible so that even an 8-year-old could play the game.

its clear the direction the game has taken is killing the game and there's just simply no denying anymore.

They must do something drastic if they want to keep Wow going any longer, and I think vanilla servers are just that.

At this stage, another expansion announcement is just going to be the final nail in the coffin. another pointless 10 levels in a zone in some far off world that makes no sence. they must go back to the start of it all. when the game was so popular and good.
    This is the same old tired drivel that has been reposted and repackaged over and over by a bunch of people that don't understand games have to evolve and change as nearly everything in life does. Trying to sell vanilla WoW in todays day and age the game would be a massive failure. It's slow paced, the quests are about as boring as they possibly could be, everything takes super long, for some specs pulling more than one mob means you die over and over on some quests/areas. If I had to play vanilla WoW today I would not play WoW because vanilla WoW sucked hard. I loved it back when it was new but it is not something I'd want to play again anymore. That's how games evolve and change.

WoW is fine. The game is still a good game. It just has more ways to experience the content than before instead of having one route you have to take which usually led to content becoming obsolete. Some of the same people in here complain about having the same content repackaged on higher difficulty.. why is that a bad thing? Like I can raid on my warlock and get gear that way. On my paladin I can do dungeons and slowly increase the difficulty to get better loot as my gear gets better. To me that's more fun than grinding the same boring heroics for badges or points to purchase set ilevel gear. I'd rather have more options than less options. I don't want to go back to Wrath where I had to raid 5 nights a week to have decent gear by doing 25 man and 10 man. I don't ever have to step foot in LFR to get items and gear thankfully because that is the last thing I want to do in this game. I'd rather have world quests then one little daily hub where you have to do the same quests over and over every day this way I can choose which ones I want to do if any. The weekly events let you mix it up if you so choose.

I honestly don't know how anyone can say Legion has no content with a straight face because I can always find something to do.

Despite everything I like about the game there are some issues imo. The class design could be slightly better for some classes(this is always a subjective preference though). I don't always like the RNG with loot, and I wish AP was easier to get on offspecs although the recent change to AK research time should help tremendously.

I'll be honest most of your list is a just a bunch of tedious boring chores you have to do to play the game that was around when the game first launched. The fact that you can write stuff like going to class trainers to learn spells as being a positive for the game really makes me question just about everything you could possibly say.

In short I find most of the people that post on these forums to be in all honesty not very intelligent and when you read lists like feeding your pet food or learning spells from trainers as being highlights of how the game used to be it's really hard to think you know much of what you are talking about.

mostly yes but I get bored of it much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Not really, I'm part of the majority. The majority of players love LFR and think WoW was better 12 years ago. LFR is the only good thing the game has got going when comparing it to the old juicy game
    Interesting, I get the complete opposite impression.

Quote Originally Posted by Shot89 View Post
    Well, you are complaining about Burning Legion, and well that's actually a HUGE part of WoW story since Vanilla...... In every expansion the Burning Legion is wihtin use, WoTLK, Cata and so on.....
    I'm "complaining" about being sucked into an interstellar battle between the forces of good and evil, and as I've already pointed out, during that time frame, we had no knowledge of the "current" lore for the Burning Legion, i.e. Blizzard chose to turn this game into another StarCraft. Furthermore, there's no real reason as to why we need the "Void Lords" - it's merely craptastic writing for the sake of craptastic writing.
    Last edited by In Ogres We Trust; 2017-06-15 at 03:06 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphano View Post
    Not sure if its better lol, remeber when wow had 12 million... oh yea i do.
    Remember that WoW was the LoL back then? New times, different needs.

OOOH FCK YEAH.

Deleted
    Same folder yeah. But its size blew up over the years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrok View Post
    a) The sense of adventure from exploration is gone.
    b) The lore has been butchered.
    c) Instead of being a random adventurer, I'm the Champion of the World!
    d) The game mechanics are... ehh... whatever.
    e) The communities have been reduced to ashes.
    f) There's no point to multiple difficulties for instance content, and in the end, it merely rewards substandard play.
    g) Class specializations are all over the place, and some of them should be expanded to four specializations or reduced to two specializations.
    h) World quests are glorified dailies, and personally, I preferred the MoP-style of daily content (minus the gates).
    i) In order to maximize the "sub." count, everything is gated behind RNG, and if that wasn't bad enough, there's RNG on top of RNG!
    j) You get the picture... !

P.S. If I wanted to play Diablo then I would play Diablo, and if I wanted to play a single-player game then I would play a single-player game. I play WoW to play an MMO-RPG, and it's time for Blizzard to go back to that format.

P.P.S. I've been dragged into an interstellar battle that - from a storyteller perspective - makes no sense. The game should always be about Azeroth, i.e. its heroes, its villains, its stories. Screw the Void Lord nonsense, the Burning Legion, the Army of the Light... YADA... YADA... YADA!
    You forgot time gating (asking players to log in often or be left behind) and offline progression (rewards for simply logging in). If 10 years ago someone would have said that those things would appear in MMORPG, everyone would have called him crazy.

WoW is no longer MMORPG. It is closer to arcade genre with chat interface and multi player mode.

Both yes and no I suppose.

To me it's still the same game in essence. You still level up, you do dungeons and raids, get gear, go do side stuff, if you want to, for reputation, mounts, pets, all that stuff.

It's the same basic package, it's just changed certain aspects over time and, in my opinion, improved for the most part.

Storytelling feels improved, models have been updated, specs feel more unique, more "personal quests" you can undertake, like the secrets of Kosumoth, Mind-Worm, fishing reputation like Margoss and the recently discovered NPC of Azsuna for a new bobber.

Sure, not everything have been awesome all the time. "Daily" quests of Warlords was awful, certain specs feeling inferior due to BiS legendaries of Legion. But overall I feel that WoW has improved with time, having its ups and downs, as with anything that develops and grows over time.

So just like a relationship where you both grow and learn with time, hopefully aiming to become better people, I feel that WoW, the game I once got addicted to, became something I loved to spend time with, and now feel like is a part of who I am after more than a decade of adventuring.

Same good ol' WoW, just grown up and more amazing than ever. ^_^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Nope, Mop was the last spec of "good" wow left, now its repackaged time sinks with no soul
    . Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Yes and no,

I enjoy as much as I did,

But what made me fall in love with it was the original AV. That is something we'll never get back something I don't think anyone has replicated since.
    It took you to level 51 to fall in love with the game in Vanilla?

The game is so much bigger and better than what I first started playing. More activities, more avenues for customization...
    There was a time when we didn't have transmog, didn't have time walking, didn't have side games like Deaths of Chromie, when dailies were confined to one zone...
    On the other hand, it's still only a video game, is inherently limited, and it's only natural for us to feel those limitation after a while.

No. Its not. Its a much better game now. Way worse community.

I fell in love with the athmosphere, the community. My guild. The fact that everything was new and unseen. I had a lot of fun with the people i played with. Most of them except 2 people have moved on and the game is not the same anymore. Its a way better game, gameplay wise. But it i miss the people i played with back then

The game is definitely different from when I started playing in 2005, that being said I still love the game even if it isn't the same game I fell in love with 12 years ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Cataclysm was the last expansion where the experience was roughly similar to the original WoW.
    From MoP onwards, the shift went to daily content, time gating (5.1 is the worst to have happened to WoW, gating a really cool story behind dailies, I've never seen this story except on the internet), and painful alts.
    Cataclysm had problems that's for sure, but Blizzard completely misdiagnosed them.
    Vanilla player since day 1 Europe.
    I think everything should be account-wide.
    Cross-faction grouping for dungeons and raids should be a thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grind, Grind, Grind away, keep that gold coming your way.

To answer the question, no I think it's not the game I fell in love with years ago and it will never be again.

But there are at least 2 sides to the story:
    1) The game changed:
    To be quite honest with you guys, for me at least, the game is way better than before.

So I should be more in love than before, right? Yea... no!

2) I changed:
    My focus in life and everything simply switched so I'm not that invested anymore and so I slowly but surely drift away from the game with which I'm perfectly fine tbh.

Thanks.

It's not the same, fortunately.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

a) The sense of adventure from exploration is gone.
    b) The lore has been butchered.
    c) Instead of being a random adventurer, I'm the Champion of the World!
    d) The game mechanics are... ehh... whatever.
    e) The communities have been reduced to ashes.
    f) There's no point to multiple difficulties for instance content, and in the end, it merely rewards substandard play.
    g) Class specializations are all over the place, and some of them should be expanded to four specializations or reduced to two specializations.
    h) World quests are glorified dailies, and personally, I preferred the MoP-style of daily content (minus the gates).
    i) In order to maximize the "sub." count, everything is gated behind RNG, and if that wasn't bad enough, there's RNG on top of RNG!
    j) You get the picture... !

P.S. If I wanted to play Diablo then I would play Diablo, and if I wanted to play a single-player game then I would play a single-player game. I play WoW to play an MMO-RPG, and it's time for Blizzard to go back to that format.

P.P.S. I've been dragged into an interstellar battle that - from a storyteller perspective - makes no sense. The game should always be about Azeroth, i.e. its heroes, its villains, its stories. Screw the Void Lord nonsense, the Burning Legion, the Army of the Light... YADA... YADA... YADA!
    This 100%

/10char

It's amazing that you might actually believe this obviously false statement. Of course there's a point to multiple difficulties of play. Hard won experience dragged the devs kicking and screaming into providing it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I think the story is really what it is for me. I for some reason don't identify with being the forefront savior of mankind on Azeroth right off the bat, I identify with only being a part of saving all of mankind. A soldier in a war if you will. The current content does so much to try to make you feel like everyone is looking up to you, but really there are far more powerful characters than ours.

- - - Updated - - -

The same kind of thing happened in Diablo. Being a traveling adventurer thrust into a conflict for the fate of mankind for some reason feels more organic than being a super powerful being.