Page 1 of 14
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

European Restaurants

Am I the only one that thinks Restaurants in the EU should be mandated to be all you can eat and drink like so many American restaurants? So many Americans starve when they visit European countries due to their minuscule portion sizes, and yet the European restaurants have the gall to charge the same or more as an American restaurant with actual portions. You will never go to an American restaurant and leave hungry (usually you need to take some home), yet millions of tourists go hungry after eating their meals in a European restaurant. For those of you who have never seen a typical European restaurant serving, here is a visual comparison:

I just cant believe how much European restaurants rip you off. Just within 20 miles of my home I have 12 all you can eat buffets even though some suck (Old Country Buffet, Fire Mountain, Golden Corral, Infinitos), but I also have 2 Amazing Amish buffets (Miller's Smorgasbord http://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/ , Shady Maple Smorgasbord http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord), 3 all you can Hibachi restaurants, an all you can eat Mexican food.

Nobody should ever leave a restaurant hungry nor should they have to order 2 or 3 meals to get rid of hunger pangs and loosen their belt

I'm betting the prices range from highest on the right and go down as you go to the left?

No. You are to fat already. For europeans, eating out is an experience to be enjoyed, not a chance to stuff your face for cheap. There are places to do so, btw, if you want to. But just because americans grossly overindulge on calories does not mean we have to support your fucked up customs here, at the center of the civilized world. If you want tons of cheap food, stay home.

10+ Year Old Account
    What a fucked up photo: it's clear from the cutlery that the image on the far left is a child's portion. Skulltaker is absolutely correct, plus if you don't like the portions or the cost of the food, stay home and fill your face with shit.

Edit: I meant far right. I can't even blame dyspraxia.
    Last edited by Allatar; 2017-06-15 at 01:54 PM.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

I find it difficult to think that the OP wants everyone to believe he actually left the US...(Orlong...really?)
    In the past (back when I could afford it) I've traveled a few times to London and never went hungry at any of the restaurants.
    Can't say anything about mainland Europe though since I've never gone any further.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    What a fucked up photo: it's clear from the cutlery that the image on the far left is a child's portion. Skulltaker is absolutely correct, plus if you don't like the portions or the cost of the food, stay home and fill your face with shit.
    Lol!
    The cutlery does give it away...*chuckles*

Turns out Europeans have been treating Orlong like a child. I wonder what gave them that idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe the problem is not the portion size, but the fact that you guys are used to eating more?

Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    Leave it to americans to skewer reality to hold up the illusion that they are living in the most desireable place on earth. They are spoonfed this 'greatest country in the world' fantasy from small on and few of them actually wake up to realize what a dungheap it has become. Still better than many places in the world, but it's by far the last place in the west I'd ever consider moving to. Short of any country in the middle east and africa, it's probably the last place I'd consider to relocate.

If the portion size is true, it would be pretty lame they charge you the same amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    No. You are to fat already. For europeans, eating out is an experience to be enjoyed, not a chance to stuff your face for cheap.
    Americans enjoy large portion sizes at affordable prices. Expensive prices for tiny portions is not enjoyable. I guess people in europe just have extra money to throw away.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

They are not ripping you off, you simply eat much more than you should.
    Thats why way too many americans are obese.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Restaurants in the EU should be mandated to be all you can eat and drink like so many American restaurants? So many Americans starve when they visit European countries due to their minuscule portion sizes, and yet the European restaurants have the gall to charge the same or more as an American restaurant with actual portions. You will never go to an American restaurant and leave hungry (usually you need to take some home), yet millions of tourists go hungry after eating their meals in a European restaurant. For those of you who have never seen a typical European restaurant serving, here is a visual comparison:

I just cant believe how much European restaurants rip you off. Just within 20 miles of my home I have 12 all you can eat buffets even though some suck (Old Country Buffet, Fire Mountain, Golden Corral, Infinitos), but I also have 2 Amazing Amish buffets (Miller's Smorgasbord http://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/ , Shady Maple Smorgasbord http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord), 3 all you can Hibachi restaurants, an all you can eat Mexican food.

Nobody should ever leave a restaurant hungry nor should they have to order 2 or 3 meals to get rid of hunger pangs and loosen their belt
    Keep in mind, America also wastes enough food per year to feed america many times over. Those large portions often have 1/2 thrown away. America also has an obesity issue. When I look at Europeans, I see more people who are thin than obese. I'd say the portion sizes are a part of why that is.

If anything, European sizes don't need to increase, the price needs to be reduced.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

So I actually clicked on the Shady Maple Buffet link..... they offer a "Gastric Bypass Discount". I've officially seen it all now.

Food is "cheaper" in america because we don't pay our waiters/waitresses hardly anything and the rest is made up for in tips.

Not a restaurant but like when I order pizza. I usually get 2 pizzas for about 20 bucks, then there's almost $3 in delivery fee and another 5 for a good tip. That means carry out costs 20 and delivery costs 28. And while "technically" you don't have to tip, its assumed that you will and if you don't its basically like spitting in their face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boole View Post
    So I actually clicked on the Shady Maple Buffet link..... they offer a "Gastric Bypass Discount". I've officially seen it all now.
    That absolutely fucking disgusting.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ShmooDude View Post
    Food is "cheaper" in america because we don't pay our waiters/waitresses hardly anything and the rest is made up for in tips.

Not a restaurant but like when I order pizza. I usually get 2 pizzas for about 20 bucks, then there's almost $3 in delivery fee and another 5 for a good tip. That means carry out costs 20 and delivery costs 28.
    Domino's Pizza - 2x Medium Pies with 2 Toppings each, $5.99 each. For $12.00 I can feed 6 people.

They use cheap ingredients, have low overhead, and pay their employees minimum wage. Generally only 2-3 on staff at any given time.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

There are stricter standards on your adulthood here. Not adult enough? Children's menu it is.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I just cant believe how much European restaurants rip you off.
    How many have you personally visited? I am truly afraid you got just worked up on hearsay and a manipulative photo.

Here, take a look at this video instead, especially between 8:10 and 11:00

Deleted
    Wrong. No European restaurant serves fries, peas and fish fingers/sticks.

Well, ok maybe in the UK.. but they are known for their bad cuisine.

Deleted
    European countries due to their minuscule portion sizes, and yet the European restaurants have the gall to charge the same or more

1° : US have to pay tips, we don't so you can already add 20%. Secondly US and EU systems are very far away (salary, mandatory medicalcare costs, healthfood regulation, pension fund) you just can't compare the price of things, restaurants included. It is plain dumb.

2° : Ask any non-US person, american portions are far too fucking huge. US are the exception, not the norm on this topic. I'd like to know how are the canadian food portions, just to be sure.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fo...39845320080729
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...l-cutting-down
    http://www.yourweightmatters.org/por...s-changed-time

and a quizz :
    https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...uments/PD1.pdf
    https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/edu...uments/PD2.pdf

Conclusion : Does OP has a problem or the rest of the world?
    Last edited by mmocbc562de0cc; 2017-06-15 at 02:29 PM.