Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    How many have you personally visited? I am truly afraid you got just worked up on hearsay and a manipulative photo.

Here, take a look at this video instead, especially between 8:10 and 11:00
    please link something that plays outside of Hungary? thank you.

that said - real food rather then "food product" is more expensive for smaller portions - even in USA. coincidentally, it tends to take less of the good stuff to fill you up, then "food product"

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Americans enjoy large portion sizes at affordable prices. Expensive prices for tiny portions is not enjoyable. I guess people in europe just have extra money to throw away.
    Thank you for pointing out that the problem lies with US citizens, and not europe's culinary landscape. You guys are simply overfed. Also, thank you for supporting the notion that americans will drastically exaggerate to desperatly try to prove their point.

In my 43 years of life, I've been to hundreds of restaurants all over europe. Spain, Italy, France, Britain, Portugal, Belgium, Austria, Croatia, and Germany, where I currently live. I have never had trouble finding a restaurant that serves decent food, at decent prices (for our average income, since you guys make considerably less I can see why you say it's expensive), that filled me up just fine (I'm 1,86 at 89kg, I've been around that since my 20es, just as a reference). The notion that european restaurants leave you in a state of starvation will be considered ridiculous by most europeans.

What I DID find however, where you could experience something like that, are what we in europe cll 'tourist traps' or 'the dumb tourist tax collectors' - palces with cheap furniture and brightly flashing advertizement for 'the real authentic experience', places any tourist with a brain avoids like the plage. They usually serve chap food at horrendous prices and are littered arount main attractions in each city.

Next time visiting Europe, ask the locals. Most of them speak decent english and know a few places they'd reccomend for the local food. They can usually also point out the places to avoid.

But I guess some initiative when planning your trip is to much to ask for for some people.

Can't believe how many of you fell for the OPs post....

I got a laugh from it, thx OP

I call that image BS, huge BS, average plate size ( with food in it ) is like 20-30% larger in my country than in USA

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Servers don't get paid minimum wage unless they fail to reach that level in tips in most restaurants. Delivery fees don't go to drivers and 2 medium pies can barely feed 4 hungry full grown adults. If you have kids older than 10 you're likely going to need 2 large pizzas.
    Fat.

I can eat 2-3 slices and be fine. I'm of normal structure. Not fat, not skinny. 8 slices per pie, 16 slices in two pies, 3 slices each for 4 people, is 12 slices, there are 4 slices left over.

As for delivery fee's, I live in a densely populated area, I can get to the Domino's store in 5 minutes and pick it up myself. So all i'm paying for is the $12 for pizza, and tax. There are actually 3 Domino's locations within a quick drive from my house. God Bless NJ and our insane accessibility.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

German schnitzel.

Chicken friend steak.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    No. You are to fat already. For europeans, eating out is an experience to be enjoyed, not a chance to stuff your face for cheap. There are places to do so, btw, if you want to. But just because americans grossly overindulge on calories does not mean we have to support your fucked up customs here, at the center of the civilized world. If you want tons of cheap food, stay home.
    Who says it has to be tons of cheap food? There are lots of places that have all you can eat crab legs, shrimp, prime rib, etc... The point is people should be able to eat a meal and not feel like they ate a snack. You shouldnt be paying for a meal that doesnt make you feel full, especially at the asinine prices European restaurants charge

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Restaurants in the EU should be mandated to be all you can eat and drink like so many American restaurants? So many Americans starve when they visit European countries due to their minuscule portion sizes, and yet the European restaurants have the gall to charge the same or more as an American restaurant with actual portions. You will never go to an American restaurant and leave hungry (usually you need to take some home), yet millions of tourists go hungry after eating their meals in a European restaurant. For those of you who have never seen a typical European restaurant serving, here is a visual comparison:

I just cant believe how much European restaurants rip you off. Just within 20 miles of my home I have 12 all you can eat buffets even though some suck (Old Country Buffet, Fire Mountain, Golden Corral, Infinitos), but I also have 2 Amazing Amish buffets (Miller's Smorgasbord http://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/ , Shady Maple Smorgasbord http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord), 3 all you can Hibachi restaurants, an all you can eat Mexican food.

Nobody should ever leave a restaurant hungry nor should they have to order 2 or 3 meals to get rid of hunger pangs and loosen their belt
    nobody is leaving hungry

this is perfect example why US has so much obisity problems - people there eat too much - you dont need more then 2-2,5k colories a day as grown up - if you eat 4-5k calaries you will end up fat as f... unless you are some kind of pro athlete with intensive training ongoing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by allatar View Post
    What a fucked up photo: it's clear from the cutlery that the image on the far left is a child's portion. Skulltaker is absolutely correct, plus if you don't like the portions or the cost of the food, stay home and fill your face with shit.

Edit: I meant far right. I can't even blame dyspraxia.
    And how exactly would a tourist stay home and cook when they are staying in one of those tiny cramped hotel rooms or a hostel?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boole View Post
    So I actually clicked on the Shady Maple Buffet link..... they offer a "Gastric Bypass Discount". I've officially seen it all now.
    The gastric bypass discount makes sense. People who have had that procedure done can only eat 2 or 3 olives, or a hard boiled egg and they are full. They shouldnt have to pay $25 for the whole buffet when they will only be able to eat less than 1 dollar in food. Also the buffet is worth every penny. All of the food is fresh made from scratch using Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch recipes (lots of butter, heavy cream, and lard) and there is at least 100 different things on the buffet to try

10+ Year Old Account
    I never leave restaurants hungry, if anything there is too much on the plate and I take the leftovers home with me!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Domino's Pizza - 2x Medium Pies with 2 Toppings each, $5.99 each. For $12.00 I can feed 6 people.

They use cheap ingredients, have low overhead, and pay their employees minimum wage. Generally only 2-3 on staff at any given time.
    Maybe 6 toddlers. Those "medium" pizzas at Dominoes are only about an 8 inch pizza. The Average adult can eat 80% of a "medium" Dominos pizza. Obese people can eat 2 of them

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I can easily eat 4 pieces of pizza for dinner and I weigh the same 175 lbs I did in high school. <10% body fat every time I check. And when they're medium pizza slices I can eat 3/4 of a pizza no problem. I guess I burn more calories than you in a day...
    Well, there were 4 slices left over, so you can have a little more if you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Boole View Post
    So I actually clicked on the Shady Maple Buffet link..... they offer a "Gastric Bypass Discount". I've officially seen it all now.
    Do you understand what gastric bypass does? They literally section off part of your stomach effectively making it much smaller. A person who has had gastric bypass can not eat very much anymore after the surgery. That's why the discount is there. Why should they have to pay full price when they are eating a small fraction of what other people will eat?
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Did this terrible thread really need such a terrible photo?

I'm not seeing the outrage over fishsticks in restaurants, what terrible restaurant is the offender?

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe 6 toddlers. Those "medium" pizzas at Dominoes are only about an 8 inch pizza. The Average adult can eat 80% of a "medium" Dominos pizza. Obese people can eat 2 of them
    Portion training is a factor I guess. I only eat small meals. It is how I keep thin. For breakfast, I have a bagel. For lunch, a small meal, usually a few pieces of chicken or something small. For dinner, same, I have a small dinner. A burger, or a hot dog or two. Something small.

Might have some chips into the evening if I am still a little hungry. But if i get hungry around 9pm or closer to bed, I'll just forego eating. I can sleep if I am slightly hungry.

5'7" and 140-150lbs. I'm not big, but i'm not small weight wise. I do drink a ton of water though. I used to eat larger portions, but once I switched away from soda and started drinking a ton of water, i'm not nearly as hungry as I used to be all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Fat.

I can eat 2-3 slices and be fine. I'm of normal structure. Not fat, not skinny. 8 slices per pie, 16 slices in two pies, 3 slices each for 4 people, is 12 slices, there are 4 slices left over.

As for delivery fee's, I live in a densely populated area, I can get to the Domino's store in 5 minutes and pick it up myself. So all i'm paying for is the $12 for pizza, and tax. There are actually 3 Domino's locations within a quick drive from my house. God Bless NJ and our insane accessibility.
    If you eat just 2 of those tiny slices you might feel ok, but you'll be starving again in like 2 hours. If you ate 6 slices you would feel full all night and wouldnt need to eat again

Deleted
    Where abouts have you travelled in Europe lord @Orlong ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Do you understand what gastric bypass does? They literally section off part of your stomach effectively making it much smaller. A person who has had gastric bypass can not eat very much anymore after the surgery. That's why the discount is there. Why should they have to pay full price when they are eating a small fraction of what other people will eat?
    I have a friend who had a similar surgery. He can only eat a few ounces of food a day. He used to be enormous, now he is skinnier than I am. lol, and likely is a bit healthier than I am now since he exercises all the time and eats very healthy food.

- - - Updated - - -

If you eat just 2 of those tiny slices you might feel ok, but you'll be starving again in like 2 hours. If you ate 6 slices you would feel full all night and wouldnt need to eat again
    From my experience, that's not the case.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been to Europe, their portions are fine (there's a lot of places that have big portions like America too).