Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Take Two vs. Modding (The day GTA Modding was declared illegal)

http://openiv.com/?p=1324

We feared that this day would come… And now it’s here.
    The day, when GTA modding was declared illegal. GTA modding had long and glorious history. Since GTA III, people have created lots of different mods: from simple texture replacements to impressive full conversions.
    And the modding always was a “gray zone” — a battlefield between lawyers and PR…For almost ten years of OpenIV development, we had tried to play as nice as possible and even more:

Strictly following of Civil Code of Russia (only reverse engineering for interoperability). Only clean-room reverse engineering. No distribution of original data and code And absolutely no messing with Online…

On June 5th, 2017, we had received an official Cease-and-Desist letter.
    It clearly says, that with OpenIV we “allow third parties to defeat security features of its software and modify that software in violation Take-Two’s rights“.
    Yes, this letter is illiterate both technically and grammatically (really, they don’t even bothered with proof-reading the text).

Yes, we can go to court and yet again prove that modding is fair use and our actions are legal.

Yes, we could. But we decided not to.

Going to court will take at least few months of our time and huge amount of efforts, and, at best, we’ll get absolutely nothing.
    Spending time just to restore status quo is really unproductive, and all the money in the world can’t compensate the loss of time.

So, we decided to agree with their claims and we’re stopping distribution of OpenIV. It was a hard decision, but when any modding activity has been declared illegal, we can’t see any possibilities to continue this process, unless top management of Take-Two company makes an official statement about modding, which can be used in court.

With many thanks for all modding community for all your fantastic creations,
    OpenIV team.
    Fuck Take Two, Welcome to my boycott list. Any game with there name on it I buy will be 100% used so they receive no money from me.

(To be clear I play on console, So I got the ability to buy used).
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-06-15 at 03:35 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    http://openiv.com/?p=1324

Fuck Take Two, Welcome to my boycott list. Any game with there name on it I buy will be 100% used so they receive no money from me.
    Just buy it from G2A on PC lul.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Just buy it from G2A on PC lul.
    I highly disagree with using G2A, Won't go into detail on why since I have done it a million times already. Also don't want to derail the thread with G2A arguments.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2017-06-15 at 03:45 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Yet you bought a switch when Nintendo has banned people for modding games(including non cheat ones) as well as used their power to muscle Project M(a Brawl mod) out of fighting game tournaments. They also made twitch flat out ban Project M from being streamed.

This sounds like just another faux outrage thread.

Does it suck? I agree. Will I buy rockstar games in the future? Yep, don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Yet you bought a switch when Nintendo has banned people for modding games(including non cheat ones) as well as used their power to muscle Project M(a Brawl mod) out of fighting game tournaments. They also made twitch flat out ban Project M from being streamed.

Does it suck? I agree. Will I buy rockstar games in the future? Yep, don't give a fuck.
    You forgot the countless fan made games that Nintendo have destroyed.

As it is i hope rockstar can die in a fire for ignoring the singleplayer community and snubbing us on every content release for multiplayer, Not only do we not get the vehicles but get ZERO dlc, some weapons but thats it, Not even fucking snow durring the winter. All they give a flying fuck about is the shark cards.

Can't buy dlc packs if you use those pesky fan created mods!

Curious if this modding tool was being used for some things that was totally unwanted because if not it's a huuuuge mistake by Rockstar/Take two

Modding is what makes games stay alive pass their initial release, GTA5 is bloody expensive given that's been out for years and other games from those periods are all in the bargain after a year.

Deleted
    Ain't you the guy who's supporting Nintendo? The hypocrisy is real with this one

Deleted
    Last time I played GTA Online, some "modder" (that's what everyone kept calling him) kept killing everyone on the server remotely, or putting them in cages and extorted cash from them. Mods are amazing yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Last time I played GTA Online, some "modder" (that's what everyone kept calling him) kept killing everyone on the server remotely, or putting them in cages and extorted cash from them. Mods are amazing yo.
    Mods are good, but that's on R* for not being on top of people who mod the multiplayer files. Really, GTAO should have it's own folder/install path separate from GTAV, this way if it's modded it won't even load the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes modders did even better work than devs, in which GTA is huge proof for that.

This is an dick move.

Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    Sometimes modders did even better work than devs, in which GTA is huge proof for that.

This is an dick move.
    guess they can just go create their own game much better than GTA, and make hundreds of millions like rockstar did yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post

This. I barely mod any game I play. Not gonna stop me from buying from Rockstar since I never modded a GTA game in my life.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    guess they can just go create their own game much better than GTA, and make hundreds of millions like rockstar did yeah?
    That's not really fair to say, honestly. Absolutely amazing mods can be made by people that have very specialized skill sets - something that doesn't lend itself well to designing an entire game that requires the input from multiple people. Making an improvement on an existing product is a far cry from building a product from the ground up.

Edit: On the main topic... that really sucks. Not going to stop me from playing amazing games, but I'm sure I'll lose interest in them quicker without mods to add to the longevity of the products.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    Not going to stop me from playing amazing games, but I'm sure I'll lose interest in them quicker without mods to add to the longevity of the products.
    So what you're saying is that you used the product the way they intended and they have your money for that product. Seems...like a standard transaction to me.

People like this shoot themselves in the foot, honestly. Having mods for games is what, in the end, keeps quite a few of the bigger name games going and still selling years later. If they honestly feel they're doing themselves a favor.. Well. *shrug* Rich people can be idiots.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    So what you're saying is that you used the product the way they intended and they have your money for that product. Seems...like a standard transaction to me.
    It absolutely is a standard transaction. I pay for the base product, and that's all I'm entitled to. I don't buy a game to mod it out, but it's always a plus when you can. It adds extra life to a game you might otherwise put on the shelf, and who doesn't like to see the creative works that modders release for the community to enjoy (unless it's a malicious mod/hack)?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    This. I barely mod any game I play. Not gonna stop me from buying from Rockstar since I never modded a GTA game in my life.
    Some of the mods for previous iterations of GTA games seem pretty nice... but modding a Multiplayer game ? Thats not called modding...

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    Some of the mods for previous iterations of GTA games seem pretty nice... but modding a Multiplayer game ? Thats not called modding...
    Yeah like when people made that money gun bullshit.