Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Restaurants in the EU should be mandated to be all you can eat and drink like so many American restaurants? So many Americans starve when they visit European countries due to their minuscule portion sizes, and yet the European restaurants have the gall to charge the same or more as an American restaurant with actual portions. You will never go to an American restaurant and leave hungry (usually you need to take some home), yet millions of tourists go hungry after eating their meals in a European restaurant. For those of you who have never seen a typical European restaurant serving, here is a visual comparison:

I just cant believe how much European restaurants rip you off. Just within 20 miles of my home I have 12 all you can eat buffets even though some suck (Old Country Buffet, Fire Mountain, Golden Corral, Infinitos), but I also have 2 Amazing Amish buffets (Miller's Smorgasbord http://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/ , Shady Maple Smorgasbord http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord), 3 all you can Hibachi restaurants, an all you can eat Mexican food.

Nobody should ever leave a restaurant hungry nor should they have to order 2 or 3 meals to get rid of hunger pangs and loosen their belt
    I wrote out a fair explanation with counter arguments and pointing out obvious bull shit in that picture, but after re reading what you've wrote I can't tell if you're trolling or was dropped on the head as a kid. Either way, the stupidity of your post has succeeded in giving me a migraine, congrats

Quality over quantity. The 'Murican way of treating eating out as "stuff-your-face-until-you-damned-near-pass-out" can go die in a fire. Europe doesn't need more unhealthy trends, it needs fewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    I'm betting the prices range from highest on the right and go down as you go to the left?
    You'd be surprised in Europe you end up paying the same or more for food than you would in us for less overall food.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at the Europeans jumping up on their high horses. You would probably eat more if you weren't so terribly poor. The Richer countries obesity rates are a lot closer to those in the U.S than most of you care to admit. Europeans are only thinner because they can't afford the food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I'm 6'0" and 175 lbs. My portion isn't crazy considering I do more than starve myself to control my weight. It's called exercise. Get some.
    Why? So I can eat more? I'm thin, and i'm healthy. I don't have an overactive appetite. I go back packing, go kayaking, and other outdoors activities. I don't need to do more exercise. I don't stave myself at all. I just don't gorge on food for no reason.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Is that meant for one person?
    Of course it is. Thats what a real portion should be. Enough to make you want to loosen your belt and have a little left to take home for later

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Are you drunk? Not enough food? I'm a 6'7", 300 lbs expat living in Italy. The portions are fine. In my six years of living here, I've left a restaurant hungry once. And that's because it turned out to be mainly seafood which I don't roll with. A meal for me and my wife including wine, a ton of starters, main course and dessert and a couple of after dinner drinks will run us 50 euros, 55 bucks perhaps. And that's in the fucking capital. That's hardly enough to break any bank...

All you can eat would never work here - it's not like it hasn't been tried. And it doesn't really work. People in many parts of Europe simply care too much about the quality and the careful preparation of their food to go stuff their face at a buffet with inferior food of inferior quality, which you will inevitably have if you are to make a cheap buffet cost effective. It works in places where they, surprise surprise, don't have a very strong culinary culture and care about quantity over quality.

(Also, perhaps this is a reason why a third of all Americans can't see their own feet?)
    You can make buffets with quality food. They just wont be $9.00. There are many in Las Vegas that serve very high quality food. They will set you back about $35 though which isnt bad considering what you get.

Never had a noticable problem with restaurant portions where I live in the UK. Atleast places that aren't rated 1* and typically seen as a shit place to go by the locals.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Look at the Europeans jumping up on their high horses. You would probably eat more if you weren't so terribly poor. The Richer countries obesity rates are a lot closer to those in the U.S than most of you care to admit. Europeans are only thinner because they can't afford the food.
    we... arent poor...
    i think you are confusing us with another continent.

Formerly known as Arafal

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    care to explain ? every country in europe has restaurants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Why is the European spoon and fork child sized?
    To have something of a known size to compare the plate size to. Additionally it would look silly to put a normal fork and soon next to such a small plate

7+ Year Old Account
    @Orlong

i still want to know to which bloody country you have been.

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    we... arent poor...
    i think you are confusing us with another continent.
    A lot of Europeans are very poor, especially in the eastern part of the continent.

While I do think most restaurants I've been to(in Europe) have too small portions, they're not so small that they should be 4 times larger. Maybe 1.5-2 times at most.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt see any difference in portion size Poland vs Canada so dunno... sure poland was like 4 times cheaper and tasted about same.

Sorry but Europeans rarely visit a restaurent to binge eat.

7+ Year Old Account
    There is a difference between eating until you are no longer hungry and eating until you are overly stuffed. Don't think its that people are leaving the restaurants hungry, but rather they have been so used to the feeling of being overly stuffed, that they consider that to be the sign that they are no longer hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    You can make buffets with quality food. They just wont be $9.00. There are many in Las Vegas that serve very high quality food. They will set you back about $35 though which isnt bad considering what you get.
    Thats a paradox.

Deleted
    I'll go the other way and cant belive how much food you get in America, its pretty insane. Not only dinner, every meal. You shouldnt eat so you feel like you are about to burst or close. You should eat till you get filled and not until you are full if that makes any sense.

And about the price, its so the people working there doesnt have to work at 2 places or get tips (lol) to be able to live. And going out to eat in europe isnt something you do everyday which it seems many families do in US. Seems like you order food or go to a "family restaurant" each day instead of making food at him. But that might just be totally wrong.
    Last edited by mmocbc4c51efd3; 2017-06-15 at 05:18 PM.

Also this is a pretty standard size

Not sure wtf the OP is on about.