10+ Year Old Account

Question Worth returning for Stormblood?

I started FFXIV around Heavensward launch and played like 600 hours within a month, I was obsessed. I don't know why but I put it down and never went back, no reason at all. So my question is, is it worth coming back for stormblood? Is there a lot of content being added? How does it compare to heavensward in terms of size? Bored as heck with other MMOs right now and looking for some fun.

If you enjoyed the MSQ of the previous expansions, you'll have all new stuff there to do. Stormblood takes us to Ala Mhigo and to Othard, the land where Doma is located. Besides the increase in level cap, you have Samurai and Red Mage added as new jobs, overhauls to skill systems(cross-class replaced by role action), and the addition of underwater areas.

Deleted
    As a person who hasn't played the game, this trailer is a mess. A confusing mess of things that don't fit together, words and phrases that say nothing. After watching this I have no idea what it's about.

Quote Originally Posted by Scyo View Post
    As a person who hasn't played the game, this trailer is a mess. A confusing mess of things that don't fit together, words and phrases that say nothing. After watching this I have no idea what it's about.
    It kind of assumes you've played the game before and have some idea of the world, but it also has a lot of little things in it even the people who play it can't be sure of, since they lack context.

15+ Year Old Account
    You'd probably say the same about a later-season trailer for, like, Game Of Thrones or something if you had never watched the show and had no idea who was who.

This is a story trailer for an expansion... further, an expansion that you can't access until you have finished all the prior story. Of course you have no idea what's happening.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    You'd probably say the same about a later-season trailer for, like, Game Of Thrones or something if you had never watched the show and had no idea who was who.

This is a story trailer for an expansion... further, an expansion that you can't access until you have finished all the prior story. Of course you have no idea what's happening.
    Which means they need a different trailer for new people as well. I mean, it would just be good marketing sense to not only have something that confuses the uninformed

I'd say play it, can't hurt If you enjoyed it for 600 hours before, you probably would again, and therefore at least get your money's worth
    My PC Build 4790k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.28v; 1080 @ +175 core, +500 memory

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropeorth View Post
    Which means they need a different trailer for new people as well. I mean, it would just be good marketing sense to not only have something that confuses the uninformed

I'd say play it, can't hurt If you enjoyed it for 600 hours before, you probably would again, and therefore at least get your money's worth
    They do, it's the original ARR trailer

A new player isn't going to be able to jump right into Stormblood. Seeing as the MSQ is continuously linear through ARR, HW and SB, it makes no sense to make a SB trailer aimed at people who don't know the story
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post

It's not good marketing if they want to get new people into the game. Look at WoWs cinematic releases for every expansion. It's a clean slate that tells a story about whats to come in a few minutes. It's coherent and not confusing. It gets people excited even if they never played WoW before.

That FF trailer was nothing like that. It gives me the impression that the game is a mess of wholly different styles that don't fit together. I have no clue whatsoever what the expansion is about sans a guy with a tripple sword sheath seems to be a big deal and a blond chick that likes to close her eyes before doing battle with the intent of maybe sex or something. There's also a mecha spider in an old temple and space ships.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not good marketing if they want to get new people into the game. Look at WoWs cinematic releases for every expansion. It's a clean slate that tells a story about whats to come in a few minutes. It's coherent and not confusing. It gets people excited even if they never played WoW before.
    You're comparing apples to oranges.

This is the story trailer, not the expansion's cinematic. Blizzard has never really released anything that can be cleanly compared to FF14's story trailers, now if you want to compare FF14's cinematic to WoW's cinematic be my guest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

10+ Year Old Account

That FF trailer was nothing like that. It gives me the impression that the game is a mess of wholly different styles that don't fit together. I have no clue whatsoever what the expansion is about sans a guy with a tripple sword sheath seems to be a big deal and a blond chick that likes to close her eyes before doing battle with the intent of maybe sex or something. There's also a mecha spider in an old temple and space ships.
    This work a bit better for you?

https://youtu.be/Jt1h1MinlLI

I'm not sure why you're comparing Stormblood's launch trailer to Blizzard's cinematic trailers, given that Square Enix also releases cinematic trailers. You'd be better off comparing it to Legion's launch trailer.

As to whether it's worth returning to FFXIV for Stormblood, if you enjoyed the the main story quests then there's a whole lot more to do since you last played, even in Heavensward alone.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    So I guess overall this is something I'm interested in as well. I played when ARR first came out and I thoroughly enjoyed the story and main scenario from what I had experienced. I quit shortly after the labyrinth of the ancients because Dragoon just felt very clunky and unrewarding at the time to me and fate grinding for levels back then was just too painful to work on a different job. If I were to get back into the game with the release of stormblood how out of the loop would I be and about how long would it take for me to get caught back to current content if I played a few hours a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Siraeyou View Post
    So I guess overall this is something I'm interested in as well. I played when ARR first came out and I thoroughly enjoyed the story and main scenario from what I had experienced. I quit shortly after the labyrinth of the ancients because Dragoon just felt very clunky and unrewarding at the time to me and fate grinding for levels back then was just too painful to work on a different job. If I were to get back into the game with the release of stormblood how out of the loop would I be and about how long would it take for me to get caught back to current content if I played a few hours a day?
    You'd have to finish the MSQ, unless you bought a skip potion. I'd say it's not too bad, you'll get good enough gear from the MSQ to complete everything, as for how long, I really can't tell you.