Bedroom
    Living Room/Parlor
    Foyer
    Basement/Cellar
    Family Room
    Mud Room
    Office
    What about pantry?
    Also having a cloak room is quite common here.

We have a Sun Room which we also call a Drawing Room, so screw your list of acceptable names.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    What about pantry?
    In my area, a Pantry is usually just a small closet in the kitchen. As well as the cloak room simply being a coat closet. Usually near the front door of the house. But both are just closets rather than being classified as a room.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

We have a Great Room that covers two floors and a Living Room on the first floor. According to the OP, apparently we're supposed to call them both the living room and completely disregard the fact that one is !@$#ing big.

Mud Rooms are pretty handy if you live in a place with excessive snowy/rainy seasons. I don't have one tho, instead I just kick my boots on the porch and then peel them off on entering.... then get my socks wet as I end up walking thru snow-residue inside. Wet socks !@#$ing suck.

The things these young kids do these days, amiright?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Smashing! Is that right down the way from the gallery? Or is this included in the state rooms?
    The gallery is closed unfortunately whilst we change to the summer collection, but I have a few samples of my favorites in the drawing room!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    The gallery is closed unfortunately whilst we change to the summer collection, but I have a few samples of my favorites in the drawing room!
    Excellent!
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

rooms with built in multiple bookshelves honestly cannot be called anything but a library. and we absolutely did have a pantry in our old apartment, I converted it into a crafting nook, but... it was a pantry. both location (off to the side of the kitchen) and its size (medium sized walk in closet, not large enough to be a breakfast nook and with built in shelves to boot, but too big to be a mere closet - no literally i had a space for my bench and a chair there - if any of you ever seen those little cubby holes of jewelry shops on 47th street in NYC? about that size) it really couldn't be called anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    The funny thing is, unless it the room was intended from the initial building of the house as a Kitchen, or a bathroom in regards to plumbing, any room in the house, is just a room. You decide on it's purpose. My old roommates took the empty 3rd bedroom of our apartment and turned it into an Art room. the apartment is listed as a 3 bedroom, but really, it could be used as a 1 bedroom, and the other 2 rooms could be used for whatever you want.

So, I agree. Naming spare rooms beyond the kitchen and bathroom is nothing but a scam.
    Sure, if you disregard building codes any room can be any room.

It's a 3 bedroom house because it legally has 3 rooms that can be used as bedrooms. Of course you can use them however you want.

However you could never list a 2 bedroom, 1 office as a 3 bedroom and get passed an inspection.
    Last edited by Ravex; 2017-06-15 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravex View Post
    Sure, if you disregard building codes any room can be any room.

It's a 3 bedroom house because it legally has 3 rooms that can be used as bedrooms. Of course you can use them however you want.

However you could never list a 2 bedroom, 1 office as a 3 bedroom and get passed an inspection.
    All it takes here to be called a "bedroom" is that it has two exits (and a smoke detector I think?). A ground floor window is enough to be a second exit if it's a certain size, etc.

Anyway, off to the carriage house; my horse should be ready!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    What about pantry?
    People need a room just to store all of their cloaks? Do people really still wear cloaks at times other than Halloween when they dress up as vampires or Batman??

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    What's a family room?
    Where rednecks have sexual intercourse with their sisters.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    We have a Great Room that covers two floors and a Living Room on the first floor. According to the OP, apparently we're supposed to call them both the living room and completely disregard the fact that one is !@$#ing big.

Mud Rooms are pretty handy if you live in a place with excessive snowy/rainy seasons. I don't have one tho, instead I just kick my boots on the porch and then peel them off on entering.... then get my socks wet as I end up walking thru snow-residue inside. Wet socks !@#$ing suck.
    Your "great" room should be called the living room, and the other room is the family room or den

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    rooms with built in multiple bookshelves honestly cannot be called anything but a library. and we absolutely did have a pantry in our old apartment, I converted it into a crafting nook, but... it was a pantry. both location (off to the side of the kitchen) and its size (medium sized walk in closet, not large enough to be a breakfast nook and with built in shelves to boot, but too big to be a mere closet - no literally i had a space for my bench and a chair there - if any of you ever seen those little cubby holes of jewelry shops on 47th street in NYC? about that size) it really couldn't be called anything else.
    Room with shelves could be called storage you can store other things besides books on a shelf like DVDs, statues, knick knacks etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Your "great" room should be called the living room, and the other room is the family room or den

- - - Updated - - -

Room with shelves could be called storage you can store other things besides books on a shelf like DVDs, statues, knick knacks etc...
    not when that room is on a main floor, typically with at least one window for natural light and the shelves are very distinctly book shelves. you can use it for something else, but face it - it was designed to be a library. even if instead of books - you store movies there. the point is? your so called proper room names as as arbitrary as the names you complain against.

I have a loft on the second floor in my home.

A great room is typically larger and could be a combo dining/living room and has higher ceilings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    What's a family room?
    Where you keep the families you've captured.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Well, by that rational, all rooms are storage rooms.

"This is where I store my stove."
    "This is where I store my bed."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    My takeaway from this is that we need to go back to adding an unnecessary "u" to words like honour, valour, etc.
    The answer is Yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    All it takes here to be called a "bedroom"
    Why does it have to have two exits my dear?

It has a specific purpose it's typically an open floor plan where the kitchen, dinning rooms and main family room/area are in close proximity and not separated by walls.

I'm not sure why this pisses you off. It just means an open floor plan

Look at all that small government word policing /s

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    Also your list doesn't have Laundry room included... are those "made up" as well?
    No, but real Murcians forsook the devil technology that's the washing machine and clean their laundry in rivers as nature intended it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    What the fuck is a mud room
    A room in which you engage in mudding. For real, it's just an entryway that's in a form of a separate room.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.