View Poll Results: Has military hero worship gotten out of hand?

Voters
214. This poll is closed
  • Yes

112 52.34%
  • No

90 42.06%
  • Maybe Here is why write in comment section below.

12 5.61%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I think whats really embarrassing is how much we claim to "support the troops" yet how little support our troops get. I think more US soldiers have killed themselves then have been killed by the enemy. Perhaps thats a sign of the times, of how great our military is. But if we are willing to spend trillions of dollars on wars, we should be willing to pay to get the vets the help they need.

Deleted
    Sometimes it goes a bit far, American Sniper for instance. I don't know if you've seen it. It was a sort of made up documentry about a guy who bravely hid miles away and peeped through a telecope and valiantly killed people who couldn't possibly hurt him from where they were standing. Then it came out that the hero was a liar.

The worst thing about the American military is that after they kill a bunch of people in your country they help hollywood make films about how sad it made thier soldiers.

Lets face it, the military is most peoples last resort.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I don't have anything against the military, but I don't think joining the military is some heroic sacrifice for the greater good(and peace and freedom and all that horse shit) like we're meant to believe.
    Me either mostly because vets Ive spoken to don't seem proud of what they did and speak about the true horrors Hollywood wouldn't touch.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

5+ Year Old Account
    Someone is not a hero just because they are a combat vet, a nurse, teacher, or fire/police.

Speaking as someone with lots of family and friends in "hero" jobs Id trade a few parades for things like better support in medical/mental care coverage for them they do a job few can that help many least we can do is actually HELP them
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

Society worships people who record a hit song far more than anything else these days.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Sometimes it goes a bit far, American Sniper for instance. I don't know if you've seen it. It was a sort of made up documentry about a guy who bravely hid miles away and peeped through a telecope and valiantly killed people who couldn't possibly hurt him from where they were standing. Then it came out that the hero was a liar.

The worst thing about the American military is that after they kill a bunch of people in your country they help hollywood make films about how sad it made thier soldiers.

Yeah Ive seen it. Not sure it focused on all the things that does to those involved.

10+ Year Old Account
    The military organization can piss off.

The individual soldiers however, have all of my respect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post

The level of disrespect for what Chris Kyle (and those in his discipline) did for his brothers there is nauseating. He was providing cover for soldiers who couldn't see the dangers that he could. The pace of combat is dizzying... always. whether it is your first patrol, or your last patrol. On the ground, in the area.. you can't always see every.. or any.. thing, and having that support can mean the difference between a few enemy deaths, or the death of entire squads of friendlies.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    I think whats really embarrassing is how much we claim to "support the troops" yet how little support our troops get. I think more US soldiers have killed themselves then have been killed by the enemy. Perhaps thats a sign of the times, of how great our military is. But if we are willing to spend trillions of dollars on wars, we should be willing to pay to get the vets the help they need.
    Yep I agree.Far too actual action taken. Lots of marketing though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Society worships people who record a hit song far more than anything else these days.
    yea this is a good point cry hero worship all you want we have NFL players getting off free for horrible things while a vet is dealing with PTSD without ANY support

maybe the Hero worship is being a bit misplaced
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering Fat Women getting photoshoots done are referred to as Heroes by idiots on the Internet, I find the word Hero is overused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    That is an even worse form.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it's easier to wear a yellow ribbon and say you support the troops than it is to actually pay to take care of your soldiers with proper medical care when they come back fucked up from fighting your battles for you.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worshiping rich inheritance / acquire wealth kiddies who live it up in Cali has gotten out of hand.

Worshiping the "college experience" has gotten out of hand.

Worshiping celebrities or politicians who virtue signal has gotten out of hand.

Worshiping actual military, police, firefighter, paramedic, etc heroes (ie not McCain) will never get out of hand and I suggest you grow a fucking spine.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    That is an even worse form.
    should I bring up Caitlyn Jenner winning Woman of the year and being called brave hero when previous winners cured diseases and made medical breakthroughs?

is hero worship of uniformed services a bit rampant? sure but they are by FAR not the worst offenders nor did they ask for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MechaMoose View Post
    yea this is a good point cry hero worship all you want we have NFL players getting off free for horrible things while a vet is dealing with PTSD without ANY support

maybe the Hero worship is being a bit misplaced
    True both are bad and blind hero worship is bad for those targeted for it. Vets don't get the help they need because of it and don't get millions. Free Applebees helps Applebees. Not a vet being gawked at to see how honored he looks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MechaMoose View Post
    should I bring up Caitlyn Jenner winning Woman of the year and being called brave hero when previous winners cured diseases and made medical breakthroughs?

is hero worship of uniformed services a bit rampant? sure but they are by FAR not the worst offenders nor did they ask for it.
    Yep and she and those that set her up for that have helped destroy her.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    Worshiping rich inheritance / acquire wealth kiddies who live it up in Cali has gotten out of hand.

Worshiping the "college experience" has gotten out of hand.

Worshiping celebrities or politicians who virtue signal has gotten out of hand.

Worshiping actual military, police, firefighter, paramedic, etc heroes (ie not McCain) will never get out of hand and I suggest you grow a fucking spine.
    Why not McCain?

My husband's in the Navy, and gets fairly uncomfortable when people thank him for his service. He loves his job, and he's patriotic. But he didn't join the Navy out of a sense of duty. He's not the only one either. My dad was an AG (weather), and was in Desert Storm. But he was only on an aircraft carrier in the area. He gets awkward with people, too. What is he supposed to say? 'Oh yeah, I just did all the forecasting. There were no hurricanes/typhoons that day.'

He joined for Tricare because I'm a type 1 Diabetic, and we were having a hard time finding good medical coverage. I already had a file and everything because my dad is retired. My sponsor just switched. He also wanted to do something different. He scored a 97 on the ASVAB, and ended up becoming an aviation electrician. He's been in 5 years, is up for 1st class, and has been on 3 deployments.

But when people thank him, he gets rather weirded out, and gives out an awkward thanks. He's grateful, but he's not exactly sure how to react. He just makes sure the planes are running smoothly so they don't crash. People treat him like he's out there actually fighting, and he's not. He's been in warzones, has been on some super secret stuff that I know nothing about... but people treat him like he's a war hero, and all he can really do is take it in stride.

The military as a whole is like a machine, each branch is a different part. And each person is just a cog or screw, or a nail. People do different things. While I thank combat veterans for their service. It's not like I need to thank my dad for busting out forecasts, or my husband for fixing the p3s. They were just doing a job while on deployment because it helps others do THEIR jobs. Which helps the war effort, or whatever they happen to be doing.

I think there is a huge misconception on the amount of "hero" warship military get. For the most part, no one gives a shit. And honestly I much prefer it that way. The few times I was asked about my service I don't like to talk about it, not because it's traumatic for me to recount, but because it's impossible for anyone else to understand.
    And there really isn't any worship, there are those dudes who wear all their military shit every day who get thanked at Walmart because they peaked when they were 19. And then there is everyone else. The only people who actual help and you could say "worship" the military are other military. Consistently we are the only ones who care for our brothers and sisters, and to a lesser extent military families care.

The military is what you make of it, and your mileage will definitely vary.