Poll: Is modern WoW the same WoW you fell in love with?

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Grapefruitsnz's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, but largely because when I started, it was all so new and amazing for me, having never played a game with as large a world and as online and full of people as WoW is/was. I was 13 when i started playing WoW so I was easily enraptured by the game. Having said that, I don't think it was necessarily to do with when I started, as personally I don't have that great a nostalgia for Vanilla (when I started) compared to periods since, so I feel that if I had started playing now, I'd likely have similar feelings as when I did initially play.

No and it saddens me, I sub hoping its different every so often when a patch comes out but it just bores me. There is so much to do dont get me wrong but not of it feels rewarding or its worth the effort, everything is related to "killing time" (obviously) or achievements.

I do miss the vanilla + tbc days and potentially LK since that was without a doubt the height of the game.

My servers just all seem "dead" now, hardly any active guilds compared to before and dont even get me started on whatever this PVP lark is now.

But this was always going to be the case sadly as time went on.

No.

It's even better. *Unleashes his Ashbringer, for defense*

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    No, it isn't

It is disfigured, fat, just ugly.

The only thing redeeming World of Warcraft at the moment is the existence of LFR. I can't imagine WoW without LFR in it's current state. It would be a sight to most definitely avoid.

As for the people enjoying the game without complaining, those people don't know better. They just can't phantom something better because this is all they ever experienced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

This is the 90% of the WoW population. Trapped inside a cave, thinking the shadows are everything.

- - - Updated - - -

You've lost touch with reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Exactly. It's just so sad it's unbelievable
    You okay bud?

Need a water?

I mean, I have FFXIV for you! That may be a fine game for you to play.

Hell, I love FFXIV! Why not give it a shot? I can play WoW, and you can play that. Or, is there another game? I Can help you find something you'd like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    No, not at all.
    It feels more like it's trying to be Diablo these days and if I wanted to play that, I'd play Diablo.
    WoW's not like Diablo, mate.

WOW's an MMORPG, with FEL Demons.

Diablo is an RPG, with crappy, religious demons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Far from it. Never before has the game been so singularly focused on the solo player, on one's ability to "play for an hour and feel accomplished."

It brings about good and bad changes. The "Diablofication" of WoW was enjoyable for a time, but it's not the game I fell in love with. That game, with both its I=intuitive and unintuitive difficulties and mechanics, lack of security nets, Time=Rewards & Currency mentality, and all of the friends and guilds I made, leveled with, ran dungeons with, raided with, devoured new content with, explored higher difficulties with...are gone. It didn't take long for me to go as well.

I don't think that's a bad thing. The game transforming to suit another's preference isn't some sort of disaster or end of days. Answering the question you asked, it's simply not the game I fell in love with.

And that's okay.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

In many ways it feels the same to me.

I started playing in TBC. Once I levelled my time was spent doing dailies (Netherwing, Skyguard, Sunwell etc) doing dungeons and raiding.

My time now is spent doing dailies, dungeons and raiding. Playing with quite a few of the same people.

Given that my best spec back then was the literal 1 button Warlock sacrifice/ruin spec, I don't really believe the game has been dumbed down over the years, as some claim.

And if killing four versions of bosses is too much for you, maybe so killing all four versions?

I'm very much enjoying the game at the moment. I've enjoyed all the expansions to varying degrees, this is probably my joint-second favourite. Wrath is my first.

you know wow is dead when you aren't even hyped for new raid TOS. They dragged it out way too long done all of 7.2 content which was supposed to be TOS but the raid doesn't come out for like another 2 months is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Talvindius View Post
    Like those good expansions where you got to a point where you could only gear through raids, so logging on during off days aside from doing dailies was pointless progression wise.

I'm sad those wonderful days are behind us. /s

It's also so sad that you get to choose what dailies you do now, and even save up dailies for 3 days instead of logging in every day to do the same dailies every single day. /s

More choice is definitely worse. You're right.
    I agree. I'm finding more reasons to want to play on a day to day basis now then I did in TBC or Wrath.

Of course it's not. What always baffles me about this discussion is that people keep forgetting that IT'S BEEN 13 FRIGGIN' YEARS.
    I can't wrap my head around the fact that people would so compulsively obsess over it so much. For God's sake, think about it. That's close to 15 years. ANYONE who played the game back then is in a completely different phase of their life now. Teenagers who got into WoW back then are 30 years old now!

If it's still such a big deal for you that the game isn't quite the same, I really really think you should consult a professional. I don't know where your life is at and I doubt you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    Of course it's not. What always baffles me about this discussion is that people keep forgetting that IT'S BEEN 13 FRIGGIN' YEARS.
    I can't wrap my head around the fact that people would so compulsively obsess over it so much. For God's sake, think about it. That's close to 15 years. ANYONE who played the game back then is in a completely different phase of their life now. Teenagers who got into WoW back then are 30 years old now!

If it's still such a big deal for you that the game isn't quite the same, I really really think you should consult a professional. I don't know where your life is at and I doubt you do.
    woah bro please calm down with your reality projection its too real

Deleted
    It's the same in name, game universe and that it's still a hotkey based MMO. Other than that it's a completly different game.

I personally feel like they have slowely been taking away the soul of the game over the years. WoW has become less and less of an RPG, an adventure, a journey and more and more of an action game where you jump in, hit some buttons, do some quick, mostly instanced content, all while the game keeps telling you how special and awesome you are even though there are millions of people doing the exact same thing as you. That just feels wrong and out of place.

I'm not going to say that every change or addition has been for the worst. In fact, most of the changes have have improved some of the flaws the game used to have. In the end this has removed a lot of, very large and minor and silly, elements that made WoW the great RPG that it was. I can completely understand how people like the game for what it is now, but it is not for me anymore. I just want a game that feels more like an adventure, a journey, a world. Not something where I quickly jump into and out of a bite sized chuck of content and checking off a bunch of things the game makes me feel like I must do, even though I don't like doing it.
    Last edited by mmoc9bca5565b2; 2017-06-16 at 07:32 AM.

When WoW came out, I was already an MMO veteran, still the game was fresh and exciting in many ways.
    Today it's a game pretty much like Diablo, except in a 3D world. I guess if you are into raiding, which I don't like much anymore, it's still a decent game, but outside of it, it's a lot more shallow.

I liked a few things they implemented over the years, 10 men raids from WotLK onwards, dual spec, etc. but for example I never really liked flying: it's kinda cool, but it changes the world below too much and makes it just scenery. I paid my sub non stop until Cataclysm, which is around where I stopped doing so and just play occasionaly a month here and there.

For me Classic WoW was a blast, TBC and WotLK were very good. I liked some things from Cataclysm as well and truly loved the MoP setting and lore. WoD was mediocre and Legion is nice, but if we're talking about gameplay, for my taste, LK/Cata was the best period and had the best class design in my opinion. Tanks in WoD were great, which I consider a notable exception, but this modern gameplay of hit the button that lightens up is not so engaging.

I don't play on Vanilla servers for only one reason: I'm attached to my characters, I can find them here anytime I come back for a while, private servers tend to shut down and disappear, which makes them very unappealing, (also they are mostly pvp servers, which I never found very enjoyable).

If Blizzard should launch a classic server, with the game as close as possible to its vanilla status, I'd play there for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jasontheking1234 View Post
    No.

It's even better. *Unleashes his Ashbringer, for defense*

- - - Updated - - -

You okay bud?

Need a water?

I mean, I have FFXIV for you! That may be a fine game for you to play.

Hell, I love FFXIV! Why not give it a shot? I can play WoW, and you can play that. Or, is there another game? I Can help you find something you'd like.

- - - Updated - - -

WoW's not like Diablo, mate.

WOW's an MMORPG, with FEL Demons.

Diablo is an RPG, with crappy, religious demons.
    WELL JASON, I already play FFXIV .|.

I never played Vanilla, but I will tell you this.

I liked playing my classes in WoD and MoP, not so much in Legions.

Quote Originally Posted by slaskel View Post
    Thank the heavens it's not the same, I would quit instantly.

- - - Updated - - -

Has there ever been a saltier guy than this?
    What do you mean salty? Leave me alone you bloody predator

Quote Originally Posted by Brewhan View Post
    woah bro please calm down with your reality projection its too real
    Apparently I've driven the point home big time with you.

This is the WoW I miss... when levelling was harder... when one of the first quests in the game did not require, but was way more optimal, with grouping.

Talking in dungeons, sharing strategies, talking about levelling, or just banter etc. because things took way longer. But they felt so rewarding.

Also, when people talked way more (because we had to), and when communities and friendships blossomed. That's the WoW I fell in love with. Modern WoW isn't "bad", it just isn't the WoW I know and I love(d).

Last edited by Kynario; 2017-06-16 at 08:23 AM.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not the same. It's much better. If it was the same I wouldn't be here anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodraw View Post
    This is the WoW I miss... when levelling was harder... when one of the first quests in the game did not require, but was way more optimal, with grouping.

Talking in dungeons, sharing strategies, talking about levelling, or just banter etc. because things took way longer. But they felt so rewarding.

Also, when people talked way more (because we had to), and when communities and friendships blossomed. That's the WoW I fell in love with. Modern WoW isn't "bad", it just isn't the WoW I know and I love(d).

Those screenshots are at least Wrath mate. When leveling was made a damn sight easier. I can tell just by the look of the UI in the top screenshot. 2nd screenshot obviously gives it away a damn sight better. Also there used to be a green bar for Burning Crusade and lower that showed MS and FPS and it's not there. As someone who leveled in Wrath I never grouped once for questing other than Hogger.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-06-16 at 08:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    lol no. Modern WoW is a hub for single-player 30min mini-games with guaranteed reward at the end.
    This couldn't be more true, it's sad.