Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Oh how enjoyable was it to be a hunter and have to craft the best ammunition. Kappa

I remember having like some thousand crafted of the best ones, and then have some shit ones just in case my good ones are over. So I could do any damage at all.

It all goes down to when you started the game and everything was new.... that's what cause ur nostalgia, not the rpg element, i bet.

Some of the things u listed I miss indeed but most i do not.... and i understand why they changed even the things i liked (like the no xrealm servers)

Can you imagine how many thousands that play today would have stopped if their dead realm didnt had xrealm/lfg?

Yeah the game would be already dead in many servers, so i welcome everythin g blizzard deems necessary to change in order to keep the game that i love relevant and going.

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    Oh how enjoyable was it to be a hunter and have to craft the best ammunition. Kappa

I remember having like some thousand crafted of the best ones, and then have some shit ones just in case my good ones are over. So I could do any damage at all.
    NO, YOU ARE ONLY SUPPOSED TO REMEMBER THE FACT THAT YOU REQUIRED THIS RPG ELEMENT TO PLAY, NOT THE DOWNSIDES.

Oh how many times you had a retard hunter "LOL GOT TO GO TO IF/ORGRI, FORGOT AMMO"

Or the random rogue "LUL FORGOT TO MAKE POISONS, ALSO CANT BLIND PACKS, FADELEAF IS EXPENSIVE AS FUCK"

As i said, useless nostalgia.

I do miss a lot of these rpg elements, it gave a lot of diversity among classes where they had their own identity. With the game mostly switching its focus towards the end game, especially raiding, it makes sense that they try to balance the classes as much as possible. Which also means sacrificing a lot of rpg elements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubaskot View Post
    Damn, thats a good list. and yes you are right. they removed almost every RPG aspect...
    like having your bags full of soulshards, such rpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Stop riding on your useless nostalgia.

Game was shit then,its shit now, its the same exact game.

Level-->Farm Gear-->Farm more Gear-->Level->Repeat.

It was new, we know it, it was un-datamined so you had to search for stuff.

Times change, adapt or fuck off, stop breaking balls.

It was a RPG, now its ARPG, dont like it, dont play it.

I dont miss the old days, i was part of the few that saw most if not all of Vanilla, sure i didnt see four horsemen/Sapph/Kel but it didnt matter as much, saw everything else.

Game was a pile of shit compared to what it is today, what todays WoW needs is a slowing down.

Take away datamining and Dungeon Journal and there is your Vanilla experience back all anew.

But there is also the average player never doing anything more than 5 dungeons a week because they are all lost and no gear ever drops.
    You really haven't got a clue about game design, do you?

If you actually think WoW was a shit game then, or even is now, you've got no clue.

Furthermore, the reward loop is not Level->Get Gear->Level->Get Gear and it never has been. Levelling stops at one point, and levelling is just a way to accrue power.

The actual reward loop, which has bene broken and which the OP is right to point out, is:
    Explore -> Do challenge to complete objective -> Receive reward that makes you able to tackle a place with stronger enemies -> Explore that place -> Do challenge to complete objective there -> Receive reward that makes you able to tackle a place with even stronger enemies -> Repeat

The scaling systems in WoW has completely broken this. FACT. And the important part there is the exploration or the excitement of the promise of exploration. The feeling of there being places you don't know and that you want to get to, and the effort and the journey it takes to find them and the people you meet along the way. THAT is the core of an MMORPG and that's the sort of thing M+ and 4 different raid difficulties and scaling open world and trviializing all the content (unless you do it at a higher difficulty) kills, and that's why the game feels grindy - because you're doing the same things in the same locations over and over again, and any reward just allows you to it once more in the same place. The fact that the numbers are growing throughout doesn't matter at all - it only matters while it allows you to see and do more things.

WoW was always an action RPG. If you go to the very earliest WoW reviews, they'll say things like "it's very action packed" or it feels "much more like Diablo than other online RPG's". That isn't what changed, although the amount of numbers presented on-screen did change, and I don't like that change. It's not a big problem in itself though. What changed is they broke the reward loop. Slowly, but surely, because they (the developers) just don't ****ing understand how WoW was designed. And when they offer ways to get back to the good old days with pristine servers, they demonstrate it again. That suggestion wouldn't have fixed the underlying issues with modern WoW.
    Last edited by Ishayu; 2017-06-16 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    like having your bags full of soulshards, such rpg
    it adds up though, all of these things they removed slowly have taken away from what made wow special in the first place.

the game is in its most basic form it has ever been.

I mean I don't even play the game anymore but by watching people playing they have about 5 abilities, that is just pathetic for an MMO.

Pvp for an example is like a different game PVP in Legion is absolutely laughable compared to WOTLK PVP for example, just look at the action bars for one. then look at the actionbars on a wotlk pvp movie.
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2017-06-16 at 02:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Or the random rogue "LUL FORGOT TO MAKE POISONS, ALSO CANT BLIND PACKS, FADELEAF IS EXPENSIVE AS FUCK"
    I remember a LBRS run with rogue being a leader, he demanded fadeleaf cost from us after using blind... he just stood there until someone paid him after each pack he used blind on. Was funny as fuck and we referred him as "blind vending machine, slot some silvers in and get these ogres blinded"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    it adds up though, all of these things they removed slowly have taken away from what made wow special in the first place.

the game is in its most basic form it has ever been.

I mean i don't even pplay the game anymore but by watching people playing they have about 5 abilitys, that is just pathetic for an mmo.
    No, it's not. The simple fact that you can't just roll in with a game without knowing anything anymore proves that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    more than half of that list arent even rpg elements
    please don't burst his bubble...
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

You forgot, Mounts and pets weren't learned, they took up bag space. Man it was hard being a pet and mount collector back in TBC.

7+ Year Old Account
    I remember some weapons in vanilla having passive +Elemental damage added to the normal damage!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    You forgot, Mounts and pets weren't learned, they took up bag space. Man it was hard being a pet and mount collector back in TBC.
    i can always add it to the list

Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    i can always add it to the list
    That really isn't an RPG thing, though.

Like, your list is really great at times, but at other times it's just terrible. It's clear you've been hit by a case of nostaglia without understanding what makes vanilla great. Don't get me wrong, vanilla is great. In my opinion, and in yours, it's better than modern WoW, too, but I challenge you to tell me why. I've given an answer, which I by the way ran by a quest designer on the vanilla WoW team because yay contacts, but I want to see what you found so appealing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    SNIP
    I counter argued your whole post in my original post, i just cant be bothered typing the same shit for the 100th time.

Its Level-->Get gear-->Get more gear-->Get more gear->Level.

And you are obviously daft enough to not understand i meant "Expansion-->Gear up-->Gear up-->Expansion" with the "Level".

Exploration is lost to datamining, also there was never any exploration, you were just bad, Thottbot had every info we needed, every single piece of info existed there about vanilla WoW, and for the few of us that spent more time or had a clue, elitistjerks had the rest.

Stop living in your delusion, only thing that changed in WoW is the "Ease of access of information", back then i had to answer the 100 idiots asking me "WHERE DID YOU GET THAT!!!" versus "Oh i know Wowhead exists, ye"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Shut up about this already. The game is still an RPG. I doesn't have to be D&D.
    Not from a PvP point of view.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishayu View Post
    That really isn't an RPG thing, though.

Like, your list is really great at times, but at other times it's just terrible. It's clear you've been hit by a case of nostaglia without understanding what makes vanilla great. Don't get me wrong, vanilla is great. In my opinion, and in yours, it's better than modern WoW, too, but I challenge you to tell me why. I've given an answer, which I by the way ran by a quest designer on the vanilla WoW team because yay contacts, but I want to see what you found so appealing about it.
    I really cant explain it, i just felt alot more into the gamme and enjoyed it so much, there was just so much more to it than today and the community was amazing, i knew most of the people on my server and still do, it was the game i dreamed of playing after playing warcraft 3 the sence of being a person in these zones you saw in warcraft, seeing thrall ect in person, everything about the game was just grand and epic, you just dont get that vibe with legion. vanilla was an epic journey, legion is just a basic hack and slash menu based single player mess. i despise it.

The journey from 1-60 was incredible

Is WoW still an RPG? I don't know anymore.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by EmotionalModerator View Post
    Is WoW still an RPG? I don't know anymore.
    to be honest, i do not know if its still a MMO at this point

Deleted
    People complain about the loss of goo RPG games and maybe this is why, becaus so many of these sacred 'RPG elements' are actually just a bunch of fucking annoying bollocks.

Having to spend hours grinding low level mobs so I can collect cloth just so I can sell that cloth on the Auction House so I can go to a vendor an buy a recipe that allows me to craft high level ammunition before I can even start to think about doing the thing I want to do is not fun, it;s not interesting, it's just gating actual content behind a big wall of arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Akioo-winther View Post
    its easy uninstall all addons don't google anything, don't use flying, don't use lvl gear or lfg and "enjoy" the game...
    I laughed at the stupidity of this reply,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mojojojo101 View Post
    People complain about the loss of goo RPG games and maybe this is why, becaus so many of these sacred 'RPG elements' are actually just a bunch of fucking annoying bollocks.

Having to spend hours grinding low level mobs so I can collect cloth just so I can sell that cloth on the Auction House so I can go to a vendor an buy a recipe that allows me to craft high level ammunition before I can even start to think about doing the thing I want to do is not fun, it;s not interesting, it's just gating actual content behind a big wall of arse.
    But was CONTENT, you know? something this game sadly lacks, these chores and things got you out into the world doing things, you were not just sat on your arse all day clicking menus the world felt alive and like an mmo should, full of players and life.