View Poll Results: Has military hero worship gotten out of hand?

Voters
214. This poll is closed
  • Yes

112 52.34%
  • No

90 42.06%
  • Maybe Here is why write in comment section below.

12 5.61%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Has military hero worship gotten out of hand?

Don't get me wrong they should be honored for their service, but is it going over the top to the point its over compensating and not really about them for too many.

Not just military, police, firefighters and yes teachers or nurses. Is the term hero being thrown around too easily?

Please feel free to tell me off. But Id especially like to hear from those that serve. How would you prefer to be honored and not.
    Yes, and it has been growing for some time. In the US, it is a reflection of the growing authoritarian sentiment.

Unfortunately, far too many people don't understand the difference between patriotism and nationalism or the difference between honoring / respecting and worship. We've gone from having a day to honor our military to an entire month, to pushing servicemen and women front and center at the front of most sporting events.

Much of this is because of the increasing political voice of the stupid that can't wrap their head around the fact that the world isn't black and white...that we can honor those who serve our society (military, police, emergency) without this military worship. Just because I don't advocate military worship doesn't mean I'm anti-military...there are many positions in between. It isn't healthy to be on either extreme.

We are starting to emulate the very aspects of dictatorships that we have been fighting against.

It always just sounds so phony to me when people thank vets. I deal with a decent amount of older vets in my line of work, and when my boss or co-workers thank vets, it just sounds so insincere. I know some of them do mean it since they've had family members serve, but it still sounds weird. Maybe I'm just a jaded fuck that just thinks people are all fake.

If there is no hero-worshiping in imilitary - then less people join this slavery, also less money will be easily gone to third-world war actions and same shit needed for people on top to make their business done. Its government who promote this in first hand. Actually military is the same job like others, people there dont fukin deserve more worship than a typical clerc in some finance organisation. People are all same in every way, why cant u accept it ?
    To be more blunt i would say I, who spend 5-7 hours on online games per day not fukin worse than that guy who died somewhere in Afganistan. We chose how to live and while we dont make any anti-law actions we are fine and equal. Sure that guy has recieved more money each month and his family had recieved something when he dead, but its his choice.
    But I can partly agree on people who were unwillingly chosed to be military servants (=slaves).
    Last edited by Seidhe; 2017-06-16 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    You aren't a hero for fighting in wars of aggression/lining politicians pockets.

People who died for the Allies in WW2? God damn heroes. People who died in something like Iraq? Couldn't give a shit, zero respect deserved.
    You are entitled to you opinion, but the individual sacrifice of each instance is the same. They both died in a foreign land fighting for something that doesn't directly benefit/is bigger than themselves. It's a sacrifice that not many people on this forum would make and your callousness towards them proves it. You can hate the military leaders for the poor decisions they have made, you shouldn't apply the same hatred towards the individual service members though. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Seidhe View Post
    If there is no hero-worshiping in imilitary - then less people join this slavery, also less money will be easily gone to third-world war actions and same shit needed for people on top to make their business done. Its government who promote this in first hand. Actually military is the same job like others, people there dont fukin deserve more worship than a typical clerc in some finance organisation. People are all same in every way, why cant u accept it ?
    To be more blunt i would say I, who spend 5-7 hours on online games per day not fukin worse than that guy who died somewhere in Afganistan. We chose how to live and while we dont make any anti-law actions we are fine and equal. Sure that guy has recieved more money each month and his family had recieved something when he dead, but its his choice.
    But I can partly agree on people who were unwillingly chosed to be military servants (=slaves).
    Wew lad. Your view of an average service member's life is a bit skewed. On an individual level, you are correct that everyone is equal. When it comes to recognizable accomplishments though? The average military member's career will outshine your 5-7 hours a day of playing video games, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Look at this guy showing off.
    Asians too OP.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dcschess05 View Post
    You are entitled to you opinion, but the individual sacrifice of each instance is the same. They both died in a foreign land fighting for something that doesn't directly benefit/is bigger than themselves. It's a sacrifice that not many people on this forum would make and your callousness towards them proves it. You can hate the military leaders for the poor decisions they have made, you shouldn't apply the same hatred towards the individual service members though. Just my 2 cents.
    The difference is one of those groups died to actually defend their nations and/or democracy, many of which had no choice thanks to the military drafts. Compared to those in Iraq who went to war to line the pockets of the Military Industrial Complex.

I don't hate the soldiers. I just don't give them any more respect than I would any other person who is doing their job, because they have done nothing to deserve it.

Do believe the Nazi soldiers deserve to be treated as heroes? They were also fighting in foreign lands for something that is doesn't directly benefit them/is bigger than them.
    Last edited by Tyrianth; 2017-06-16 at 02:50 PM.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

10+ Year Old Account
    Has MMOChampion become America's blog? At least I could understand half the political fight threads, but it seems we're just assuming everything regarding America is worthy of a thread on a games' forum.

10+ Year Old Account
    No it's not out of hand but either way me personally I don't just kiss the feet of every single veteran/LEO. I treat them with the same basic friendly respect I give everyone else until they give me a reason not to. Such as the stolen valor types around here and the real veterans that turned into jackasses since the election.

I say the military in general yes should be praised and respected but individual service men probably not. Even for individual service men and women I don't think it is out of hand. Sure you see some extreme gestures of gratitude but those are blown up and probably rarely ever happen. Similar to when you hear about a story of an outrageous tip.

To clue in on what IS actually out of hand is celebrity worship. There are no less than 3-4 award ceremonies for encompassing nearly the same exact thing. Not to mention the craziness that happens all year round.

So no. In comparison not even close.

As mentioned before the military in general is deserving of respect just for the fact most people are incapable of that level of sacrifice and sacrifice is one of the prime virtues of man.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    The difference is one of those groups died to actually defend their nations and/or democracy, many of which had no choice thanks to the military drafts. Compared to those in Iraq who went to war to line the pockets of the Military Industrial Complex.

I don't hate the soldiers. I just don't give them any more respect than I would any other person who is doing their job, because they have done nothing to deserve it.

Do believe the Nazi soldiers deserve to be treated as heroes? They were also fighting in foreign lands for something that is doesn't directly benefit them/is bigger than them.
    I don't believe what the US military is doing in the middle east is productive or beneficial for any of the parties involved... and it hasn't been for some time. They are fighting an ideology that will not change unless we remain there for another 30 years. They are stuck there trying to legitimize the war they have been in for the past 15+ years. It's time to leave. That said I don't discount the sacrifice the individuals have made.

I haven't once in this tread made a claim that every member of the military should be called a hero. That said the term hero is subjective. To ISIS, the countless bombers/lone wolf shooters are heroes in their eyes. That doesn't mean they are. I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but to imply that the US soldiers fighting in the ME right now are comparable to Nazis is laughable to me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    The military organization can piss off.

The individual soldiers however, have all of my respect.
    True, but I'd argue against giving it to every single soldier. Like some people have pointed out, there's a vast number of them that simply collect wages and do precisely fuck all.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    No one has ever called me a hero, or thanked me for my service..but I've worked the last 4 years as a behind-the-wheel driving instructor. I'm one of the few, brave, patient souls who takes up the mantle of teaching our 16-83(my oldest) year old students of the automotive arts. I put my life on the line daily for $12/hr, with nothing but my wits and a brake pedal. I like to think the roads of New Jersey are a little safer thanks to me.
    /takesAbow
    Thank you for your service. Even if I'll probably never go to New Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    Somewhat related: All members of the military who died during our revolution in 1956 were automatically posthumously decorated. Including a guy who died in his sleep when the top bunk fell on him.
    Is it too soon to say, 'May he rest in peace?'

Quote Originally Posted by Flarelaine View Post
    When they finally ended the draft, nothing of value was lost.
    Yeah, Soviet and ex-Soviet state drafts were generally an abusive, worthless and stupid affairs, doing nothing but breaking the people involved. Swiss and Austrian (don't quote me on the last one) drafts are done properly, cost substantially less, and don't take away some of the most important years of people's lives.

Quote Originally Posted by dcschess05 View Post
    I don't believe what the US military is doing in the middle east is productive or beneficial for any of the parties involved... and it hasn't been for some time. They are fighting an ideology that will not change unless we remain there for another 30 years. They are stuck there trying to legitimize the war they have been in for the past 15+ years. It's time to leave. That said I don't discount the sacrifice the individuals have made.

I haven't once in this tread made a claim that every member of the military should be called a hero. That said the term hero is subjective. To ISIS, the countless bombers/lone wolf shooters are heroes in their eyes. That doesn't mean they are. I'm not sure if you meant it this way, but to imply that the US soldiers fighting in the ME right now are comparable to Nazis is laughable to me.
    I agree with you, but it is laughable to you. To an average Afghani/Iraqi individual with knowledge of what the Nazis did, would it be laughable?

If anything, you should be praising teachers, police officers, doctors, medics and nurses a lot more than you do. Granted, I have a police officer, a nurse, a teacher and an army officer in my immediate family, so I could be a bit biased. (my cousin used to date a firefighter, so for a while we had the whole set.)

I find every single one of those institutions, especially teachers and nurses, a lot more honourable and praise-worthy than any single combat role. Especially in the UK, with the NHS being in the state that it is, nurses and doctors that continue working on it should receive a lot more praise than soldiers, same with police officers. I honestly can't understand how anyone, including military veterans who have seen actual combat, would argue that a soldier is any more honourable than any of the above, but I'm not American.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Has military hero worship gotten out of hand?

Don't get me wrong they should be honored for their service, but is it going over the top to the point its over compensating and not really about them for too many.

Not just military, police, firefighters and yes teachers or nurses. Is the term hero being thrown around too easily?

Please feel free to tell me off. But Id especially like to hear from those that serve. How would you prefer to be honored and not.
    In the US? Absolutely. It's pretty disturbing even.

Quote Originally Posted by Genadius View Post
    I agree with you, but it is laughable to you. To an average Afghani/Iraqi individual with knowledge of what the Nazis did, would it be laughable?

If anything, you should be praising teachers, police officers, doctors, medics and nurses a lot more than you do. Granted, I have a police officer, a nurse, a teacher and an army officer in my immediate family, so I could be a bit biased. (my cousin used to date a firefighter, so for a while we had the whole set.)

I find every single one of those institutions, especially teachers and nurses, a lot more honourable and praise-worthy than any single combat role. Especially in the UK, with the NHS being in the state that it is, nurses and doctors that continue working on it should receive a lot more praise than soldiers, same with police officers. I honestly can't understand how anyone, including military veterans who have seen actual combat, would argue that a soldier is any more honourable than any of the above, but I'm not American.
    I worked with a British special forces unit that performed many hostage rescue missions. I think what they did was amazing and they were the definition of heroes. It doesn't have to be a US vs Insert Nation here contest. Would I call a UAV operator that just bombed a village to kill a few bad guys a hero? Absolutely not. I believe there is a dispute because I generalized being in an AOR as a prerequisite for heroic actions. It's not always the case. I am just saying those that are carrying out a mission don't deserve the same level of hatred the policy makers way above them deserve. They are regular people like everyone in this thread likes to say, and some of them are even heroes.

Edit - And for the record I hold the same level of regard for the occupations you listed as I do for allied military service members all over the globe.

True, but I'd argue against giving it to every single soldier. Like some people have pointed out, there's a vast number of them that simply collect wages and do precisely fuck all.
    If you define an organization by the lowest common denominator than none of them deserve respect. I know you were cautioning them not to assume every service member is worth a damn but it goes both ways, a concept that I don't think a few posters here realize.
    Last edited by dcschess05; 2017-06-16 at 04:02 PM.

Sometimes it is, other time it isn't. There's even times where they go under appreciated

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on their position. If they're just some janitor or have some kind of desk job where they're inside all day everyday then no they shouldn't be worshiped as heroes. They should certainly be respected though. Even though they don't carry a rifle they are working their asses off to support our troops out there. The combat troops however I feel should be considered heroes and deserve the utmost respect. I'm not saying to go up to a soldier and kiss their boots but just to keep in mind that while you're at home watching TV spit bullshit at you or taking a nap on your nice comfy sofa or playing video games all day these guys are out there in hell kicking ass and taking names while also protecting our country the best they can. Making the world a better place for us. Without them these fuckers like ISIS would have their way with anything without any sort of punishment. They'd keep killing and destroying and there would be no one to stop them.

It sickens me that some people have no respect for our guys and gals in the military. They act like it's just any other normal, average Joe kind of job. While they're sitting their ass in their computer chairs being a twat these guys are out there going through hell. "Well they signed up for it." Whenever I hear or see this kind of statement I just want to choke the person. Yes they signed up for it but these people don't even understand the kind of mentality you have to have while signing up for it. Just the fact that they know full well what they are getting into and still signing up is admirable itself. It takes a certain kind of person to do that and I respect that a lot because I know I wouldn't be able to do something like that.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2017-06-16 at 03:42 PM.

Is it too soon to say, 'May he rest in peace?'
    He has been for six decades now. In any case, most of the work was done by the Soviets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Triforcewolf View Post
    It sickens me that some people have no respect for our guys and gals in the military. They act like it's just any other normal, average Joe kind of job. While they're sitting their ass in their computer chairs being a twat these guys are out there going through hell. "Well they signed up for it." Whenever I hear or see this kind of statement I just want to choke the person. Yes they signed up for it but these people don't even understand the kind of mentality you have to have while signing up for it. Just the fact that they know full well what they are getting into and still signing up is admirable itself. It takes a certain kind of person to do that and I respect that a lot because I know I wouldn't be able to do something like that.
    When you love something enough, you'll be willing to face the risk of death. What they love is their own country. In fact, they love it so much that they're willing to become lackeys who'll kill in the name of their country whenever their commander-in-chief orders it, even though they're human beings who can make their own judgment on whether something is a worthy cause. They're not given this choice, though.

Take, for example, the Iraq War. You're saying American soldiers who participated in a war that had 100 000 civilians die as collateral damage should be automatically respected, with the war having achieved almost nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    When you love something enough, you'll be willing to face the risk of death. What they love is their own country. In fact, they love it so much that they're willing to become lackeys who'll kill in the name of their country whenever their commander-in-chief orders it, even though they're human beings who can make their own judgment on whether something is a worthy cause. They're not given this choice, though.

Take, for example, the Iraq War. You're saying American soldiers who participated in a war that had 100 000 civilians die as collateral damage should be automatically respected, with the war having achieved almost nothing?
    The guy that died when his humvee hit an IED while he was doing patrols to protect a village from radical terrorist doesn't deserve to be treated like a Dick Cheney. Information is so compartmentalized in the military (by classification), that the average Joe really only knows what's going on based on their individual mission. To imply that they are just as complicit as the policy makers is narrow minded and frankly stupid.

I believe it has. I've seen several times someone in fatigues walk into the local convenience store and either another customer or the worker behind the counter pays for their stuff. I'm thinking I know the worker doesn't make much, but it's their money.