Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Depends on what expansion was your favorite... each has a different flavor. My preferred game was tbc.

Deleted
    But what if 99% of thing you listed are almost never ever used?

Oh just to pick one: the shaman. Yeah because in real life WE TOTALLY NOT HAVE HUMAN shaman. Nono. Native american, Indians, and literally every fucking population from the past say "HI".

For me, even humans in WoW shuold be able to roll a shaman.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Depends on what expansion was your favorite... each has a different flavor. My preferred game was tbc.
    Wouldn't you love to be able to just log into wow and play the game it was all those years ago, the feeling would be indescribable. it's just a shame blizzard doesnt allow this. they insist that we must play the current version or not play at all, they stuubbornly stand on the fact that its legion or nothing.

I Just want to log into wow and start fresh on a level 60 server and do it all again.

I'm almost certain that 80-90% of this forum are pro retail and hate vanilla, thats why i get so much grief.
    Last edited by mmoca138a41cd8; 2017-06-16 at 05:34 PM.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hav0kk View Post
    I mean I don't even play the game anymore but by watching people
    Good grief.

Wouldn't you be able to just log into wow and play the game it was all those years ago, the feeling would be indescribable. it's just a shame blizzard doesnt allow this. they insist that we must play the current version or not play at all, they stuubbornly stand on the fact that its legion or nothing.

I Just want to log into wow and start fresh on a level 60 server and do it all again.
    Sadly there are no good tbc private servers as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    So much of this stuff is completely horrible stuff in respect to today's gamers.

Hunter ammo, warlock soul shards, rogue poisons etc all took bag space if not an entire bag slot. Same with pointless stuff like skinning knives, mining picks. Not missed, not in the least.

Also, you're wrong about instant mail. Mail was instant. The reason they put in the time dump between time sold in the AH to when it got to you was because of gold sellers. It was a speed bump to make life difficult.

It was a pain in the ass for priests, and only 2 races of them, to have additional spells and only one each.

Queing for BG's shouldn't require battlemasters. That's strictly a quality of life improvement when BG ques can take a very long time, especially when there were themed weekends (AV in particular.)

I could refute every point you made but meh, not worth it.

I will say this; reforging only existed for one simple and incredibly outdated stat. Hit. Reforging centered on getting stuff to hit cap or removing hit if your gear was over the cap. It would be a fallacy to say that it allowed people to restack or focus on haste, crit, mastery. It didn't. The entire concept was focused around maintaining hit cap. No hit, no need for reforging.
    Last edited by Misuteri; 2017-06-16 at 05:43 PM.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Sorry but you failed
    Yeah whatever. Go back to your cave, troll

- - - Updated - - -

Wouldn't you love to be able to just log into wow and play the game it was all those years ago, the feeling would be indescribable. it's just a shame blizzard doesnt allow this. they insist that we must play the current version or not play at all, they stuubbornly stand on the fact that its legion or nothing.

I'm almost certain that 80-90% of this forum are pro retail and hate vanilla, thats why i get so much grief.
    No you get grief because you don't know what you're talking about, and have made a list which removes basically every quality of life thing that has improved the game.

You don't even play anymore, why do you keep coming back and posting your cut and paste list

A better title would be "Comprehensive list of tedious elements removed from WoW".

All the posts like this has made me realise how much I hate nostalgia. Even your very first point is moot since world quests has caused every zone to be swarmed with players doing all the world events.

I miss those things but the game is just so much more fun now as is for me. The rpg elements slowed the game down significantly.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draenox View Post
    All the posts like this has made me realise how much I hate nostalgia. Even your very first point is moot since world quests has caused every zone to be swarmed with players doing all the world events.
    OP doesn't even play anymore, his opinion is worthless as he listed things which are still in the game

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    I think most people with nostalgia like this also forget that the players themselves changed. I dont know if this goes for everyone, but back when i started playing WoW i would learn everything slowly by playing, making mistakes and asking others. Nowadays when i start to play newly released MMOs, ill have googled any quest that i cant figure out within 15 minutes and read up at least on the basic stat priority and talents/builds before i even hit max level. Some games can still have me interested in reading quest descriptions and dialog, and i wont read up on every instance before starting, but a lot of the patience and curiosity i had years ago is just gone. I will never again be interested in the old pvp grind, spending months in a row in battlegrounds. I likely will never again be interested in raiding 5 days a week, giving up or having to plan my offline life extensively around it. Im not sure how new players experience it, but me and my friends wouldnt be enjoying the game anymore if it went back to vanilla style.

You get grief because you spam the same wall of text over and over. You spammed your OP twice in another thread. Has nothing to do with peoples preference to games at all. Stop trying to make yourself out as the victim here.

Quote Originally Posted by Misuteri View Post
    So much of this stuff is completely horrible stuff in respect to today's gamers.

Hunter ammo, warlock soul shards, rogue poisons etc all took bag space if not an entire bag slot. Same with pointless stuff like skinning knives, mining picks. Not missed, not in the least.

Also, you're wrong about instant mail. Mail was instant. The reason they put in the time dump between time sold in the AH to when it got to you was because of gold sellers. It was a speed bump to make life difficult.

It was a pain in the ass for priests, and only 2 races of them, to have additional spells and only one each.

Queing for BG's shouldn't require battlemasters. That's strictly a quality of life improvement when BG ques can take a very long time, especially when there were themed weekends (AV in particular.)

I could refute every point you made but meh, not worth it.

I will say this; reforging only existed for one simple and incredibly outdated stat. Hit. Reforging centered on getting stuff to hit cap or removing hit if your gear was over the cap. It would be a fallacy to say that it allowed people to restack or focus on haste, crit, mastery. It didn't. The entire concept was focused around maintaining hit cap. No hit, no need for reforging.
    I still have my skinning knife on me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Enhancement shaman is now a viable spec with its own mechanics and not a dogshit talent tree unlike Vanilla.

Trumps all your arguments.
    In what way was Enhancement "dogshit" ? Enh shammies could wreck shit in PvP once you got a good epic 2h.

You know, AFAIK, the original WoW team came from Everquest, that had most probably influenced their initial ideas (aka grinding and gating) by quite a lot into what became vanilla WoW. Why don't you try it out and see if you like it then? I mean, is it safe to assume that it's still as hardcore as it was back then? The registration webpage offers you to get instant access to level 85 (which I assume is the max level), tho.. I wonder why that is.. Not even WoW has that. Yes, you can "buy" your way to (currently) level 100 for a pretty hefty price, but that just lets you skip some stuff to focus on the current content and a monstrous majority of the game always happens on the max level anyway.

There are already quite a lot of other MMOs out there. And I assume at least some of them were created or in some way influenced, by people who originally worked on WoW. How did that work out, hm? Have you tried any of them?

There's no team in the world that could make a product that is being used by ~10M people and continuously add ideas for ~13 years which would be used (let alone enjoy) by all of them, for extended period of time. In those circumstances, you can't just spend a year working on something that's gonna be accessible to 1% of that playerbase. In that scale, it's not only about money, it's plain irresponsible and stupid.
    After all those years and all those varied expansions, the game still manages to keep majority of its playerbase (number-wise) and is considered to be continuously successful. And for that, I personally applaud Blizz. And you should too.

Quote Originally Posted by Norome View Post
    You know, AFAIK, the original WoW team came from Everquest, that had most probably influenced their initial ideas (aka grinding and gating) by quite a lot into what became vanilla WoW. Why don't you try it out and see if you like it then? I mean, is it safe to assume that it's still as hardcore as it was back then? The registration webpage offers you to get instant access to level 85 (which I assume is the max level), tho.. I wonder why that is.. Not even WoW has that. Yes, you can "buy" your way to (currently) level 100 for a pretty hefty price, but that just lets you skip some stuff to focus on the current content and a monstrous majority of the game always happens on the max level anyway.
    It's defo not as hardcore as it used to be, betting on hardcore crowd was one of their worst mistakes.

When EQ devs decided to keep EQ hardcore or even make it a bit more hardcore (well, more punishing and grindy), many devs and players felt that it's a wrong decision. That's the reason why a certain group ex-EQ devs and players decided to create WoW.

WoW was a way more casual version of EQ. It's less grindy, less punishing, more rewarding than it's "predecessor".

Later EQ devs reconsidered their decision, but it's too little too late.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-06-16 at 06:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    Enhancement shaman is now a viable spec with its own mechanics and not a dogshit talent tree unlike Vanilla.

Trumps all your arguments.
    RPG elements and viable classes are not mutually exclusive... Enh shaman was viable as a DPS as soon as the TBC prepatch dropped, and we still had almost all of these RPG elements.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampyr78 View Post
    It was tedious and carrying them in your bags limited your bag space and people love bag space.

Again it's just a matter of bag space.

Also bag space.

I agree that was fun RPG element but was it that useful?

Quality of life improvement.

It was annoying and it does not affect speed so rogue can keep up with other players.

It was confusing for some players also it was pain to level a hunter to level 10 without pet. Now people are getting used to have a pet from the start.

Fun ability.

Now using traps in much more dynamic gameplay.

This was annoying.

Now they have 5 max with them. All the rest have to be kept at stable master.

This was necessary change to come with the removal of ranged slot.

They still can use them but not alongside ranged. You have to make a choice.

And it took a lot of bag space.

Rogues have skills that do basicly the same thing now, throw a knife or shoot a gun.

And now they have it as a resource so they can have more bag space.

I don't see what demonic fel magic has to do with invisibility detection. This just don't fit warlock fantasy.

It was fun but I like that now I can just summon hum whenever I want. Also Order Hall has some similar ability available.

Not a huge warrior player so can't comment much about this.

This is just a personal preference has nothing to do with RPG elements.

It wasn't that useful because of that.

You can still use trant form for that and there is tree of life form as a cooldown.

And this caused balance issue.

That was useful.

That's not an RPG element.

Players don't have time to do that now.

Quality of life so you spend more time playing than going back to town and learn new stuff.

There are still such spells. Paladins using Ashbringer can turn into ash demons and undead killing them instantly. Warlocks can banish demons, elementals and abberations.

Resistances on mobs was a balancing issue. It caused some specs to be useless. Using resistances to fight specific bosses was interesting.

Thanks to that now it is easier to play any class

And playing the game was much slower thanks to that. Now it is faster and more streamlined.

Spell ranks returned with Legion, but they serve different function now. Mana cost is now percentege based so ranks just add new features to the spells as you level up.

Now every class has a questline to unlock 3rd relic slot and class mount and champions. Quests you mentioned above were removed for convenience.

Ranged weapon slot made sense but relic slots felt forced because they didn't think that this class would use ranged weapon.

Yes, you had a lot of freedom there but most players looked for builds that were imba.

I would call it a balancing issue.

Now you have quests for artifact weapons that send you to different parts of the world.

I agree with that. Especially legendaries, some people are just drowning in them. There should be fewer and they should be more rare.

I like transmog, it helps you to maintain the look you want for your character without worrying about proper stats.

It is called inflation. You make more gold but everything cost much more than in vanilla.

Not all of them. Most mounts use the speed of your raiding skill. The only exeption are Riding Turtle and Sea Turtle they don't affect your land speed at all.

People nowadays don't have time and aren't patient enough.

That's a bad level design.

Level up a new character to level 100 and start Legion content. You will see that they are quite difficult and hit like a truck.

Instant mail is only to alts and guild mates.

I don't care about faction seperation I want to play races that I like and not the specific faction.

Yep I miss that too.

Cross Realm, Connected Realms and Sharding help to make world feel populated on every realm and also allow for smoth expansion launch like we had with Legion.

But was never part of the release verion of the game. I would love to have housing that would be purely comsetic and would not provide any player power benefits like garrisons did.

That was just annoying.

Quality of life imprevemnt.

Again quality of life.

And now all of them are connected and it is very easy to buy stuff from the other side.

If you wanna do mythic dungeons you have to travel to their entrances. Queeing system is just a quality of life, people nowadays are lazy.

And that's why they were terrible quests.

Sharding, help with balancing load on the server.

And most people started using addons for that.

I would call it a quality of life. You migth simply play at the time that there are not many players in the area so it would be hard to find a group. Now with group finder tool it is easier and sometimes I used it on more difficult foes.

World Bosses, there are plenty of those aroung.

Would not fit if modern game design standards.

Now they use scenario system for that because those events were not good for the servers.

Times change.

In Legion you have to do questlines tied to the profession to get some recipes and also to rank them up you need to work a lot more on that profession.

It is easier to remember what you need that way.

It is still useful to use fishing pole to increase your fishing skill. Thats what those tools do now, they give you +10 to the profession. This is just quality of life improvement so people can have more free slots in their bags.

You can do that everywhere now. Also it did not make sense from RPG perspective. Why this flower is more difficult to pick up that the flower from another zone. With that being said, excluding Legion, when you try to gather something that you have to low skill for you will get pieces instead of a whole thing so it is less effective.

Some professions, for exemple tailors have to go to specific places in order to craft some specific pieces.

It was nice fantasy I can agree with that. They removed it to streamline professions.

Nope, Skinners can skin either leathers, hides or scales. Leahterworkers can craft Leather of Mail armor.

That's interesting.

Leahterworkers can craft Crowbars that are used to open lockboxes.

Ok

That's alpha and release verion.

Yep I miss all of that weather. I assume some people complained about visibility.

Again problem with visibility for some players.

They removed it so you didn't have to feel obligated to grind pvp every week just to get rank you want and keep it.

That's way too long.

It was removed because it was annoying if you killed npc with your aoe.

Now they are available for everyone.

That way it is much more streamlined.

Many raiders don't care about the story they want just challenging gameplay.

This is the standard blizzard developed for dungeons in TBC.

Offical reason is that it caused too much annoyance with getting new piece of gear and most people used addons to just automate it.

There are still gem sockets but more rare. They just wanted new piece of gear feel useful right away and after gemming, enchanting and reforging it.

I don't understand what's wrong with it right now.

Personal preference.

That's not RPG element.

It still exist but it's not huge.

There are some raids but not many.

Yep, pvp lacks new areas.

Not exacly. Some of them last longer than a day and some of them are shorter.

Those aren't rpg elements.

Bullshit. You are rewarded with so many interesting thing when you decide to explore. Most people just don't want to bother and use addons that tell them where everything is so they can get useful stuff.

There are still RPG elements in the game.

That's what players want.

No it wasn't. I was just changed so it works differently.

Then don't grind. I don't grind for AP and I am happy.

To sum up Most of the changes were necessary for the game survival. Otherwise it would not survive for as long as it did. Most points on the list are just quality of life imprevemnts and some of them are not even RPG elements.
    They removed pets and mounts from our bags. They added 2 whole extra slot for transmog storage. Now they added every item we have looted to be used.

Yet people still dont have enough bag space. Conclusion = People are morons. And not a reason to change things

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I honestly don't even know what you are trying to say. Good luck learning what RPG means!
    Then tell me what RPG elements are still left when it comes to PvP.