Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Oh look, this shit again.

Pit Bulls freak me out, I'll stick with Poodles and Schnauzers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    So you concluded it's the breed despite your friend? Did you happen to inform her she was enabling a monster with facts?
    No lol I just asked her about her behavioral training (she hired more than one animal behaviorist for one-on-one time with the dog). I have met several pit bulls that do not act like this one, I honestly don't understand why this dog acts the way it does. I have come to the conclusion that she was probably not socialized properly as a puppy; I do not think she was abused. I've known this person since middle school and we now live in the same city, despite growing up together in Alaska. She's a rather meek/timid and introverted person.

I *think* the problem is that this dog knows that she is a meek/timid person, so she is very protective of her owner. Proper training would have helped with socialization, but I do think genetics is a factor. This dog has a very strong guarding instinct.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    No lol I just asked her about her behavioral training (she hired more than one animal behaviorist for one-on-one time with the dog). I have met several pit bulls that do not act like this one, I honestly don't understand why this dog acts the way it does. I have come to the conclusion that she was probably not socialized properly as a puppy; I do not think she was abused. I've known this person since middle school and we now live in the same city, despite growing up together in Alaska. She's a rather meek/timid and introverted person.

I *think* the problem is that this dog knows that she is a meek/timid person, so she is very protective of her owner. Proper training would have helped with socialization, but I do think genetics is a factor. This dog has a very strong guarding instinct.
    Yeah but you don't see the problem?

Best intentions and environment where does that fit in as for the track this dog?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Pffftt...Say's this guy...
    31 fatalities from pitbull bites in 2016. No context given as to the circumstances of the fatalites. 31.... Out of 320 fucking MILLION americans. Get the fuck out of here with this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Unpopular opinion on here, I know, but I don't think we should be able to own pittbulls anymore. We've proven we can't be responsible with such a powerful breed, and it's been at the cost of others. Some countries have bans in place, and I applaud them for doing so. I'm glad they've been banned on US Military Bases.
    i hope you get shot and rapped in a back ally

infracted - flaming
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-06-17 at 05:27 AM.

Yeah but you don't see the problem?

Best intentions and environment where does that fit in as for the track this dog?
    No, I agree. Hence why I comment in these threads.

So you concluded it's the breed despite your friend? Did you happen to inform her she was enabling a monster with facts?
    What are you even talking about? If there are roughly 3 million(That's the lowest estimate as to be favorable to you) Pit Bulls in the US and 22 fatalities that is .0007% of Pitbulls involved in fatal attacks. This alone tells us nothing outside of that Dogs on a whole are not very dangerous.

I couldn't find any statistics on non-fatal dog bites related to breed, considering there are around a million dog bites treated in the US per year that would show more accurate trends. If you find some please link.

Edit: The closest thing I could find on non-fatal bites relating to breed was dogs that are most commonly cited in law suits = Lab Retrievers.
    Last edited by Foaming Clean; 2017-06-17 at 05:25 AM.

According to the American Veterinary Medicine Association, “controlled studies have not identified this breed group as disproportionately dangerous.” The American Temperance Testing Society (ATTS) puts thousands of dogs – purebreds and spayed and neutered mixed-breeds – through their paces each year. The dogs are tested for skittishness, aggression and their ability to differentiate between threatening and non-threatening humans. Among all of the breeds ATTS tested – over 30,000 dogs through May 2011 — 83 percent passed the test. How did pit bulls do? They showed an above average temperament, with 86 percent making the grade. Pit bulls are the second most tolerant breed tested by ATTS, after only golden retreivers.

Breed misidentification plays a significant role in the stigma attached to pit bulls. It’s difficult even for experts to properly identify a breed of dog. A study published in the Journal of Applied Animal Welfare Science ($$) found that “87.5% of the dogs identified by an adoption agency as having specific breeds in their ancestry did not have all of those breeds detected by DNA analysis.”

That problem is compounded by media sensationalism. Karen Delise studied every fatal dog bite reported in the years between 2002-2005, and found that “eleven dogs involved in fatal attacks with no Pitbull characteristics were counted as Pitbulls, while their ‘true’ breeds were not reported, and three dogs that were clearly not Rottweilers were identified as Rottweilers.” That was among a total of 47 fatal attacks (by all breeds) reported during that period.

This dog was involved in a fatal attack and the media called it a pit bull…

According to Delise, this dog was reported as a pit bull despite the fact that animal control officers told reporters that she was in fact a Labrador mix…

This kind of misidentification creates a feedback loop, as most studies of fatal attacks rely on media reports for breed identification.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Aftermath of a thug attacked by pitbull [VERY GRAPHIC][NSFW]
    https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fdd_1495249168

"This video has been shared in Brazilian social media, claiming that Totó, a pitbull, attacked a thief who entered to a house when everybody there was at work. The thief died by the wounds of the dog"
    Your liveleak site gives two other links that give drastically different events that lead to this man's gruesome condition: https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=903_1407029402 and https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e09_1409977654. So, not really the best example to give...

Deaths in 2016 by animals

1. Cats, cows, horses, pigs, raccoons, and other hoofed animals caused 655 deaths
    2. Hornets, wasps, and bees were responsible for 509 deaths.
    3. Dogs caused 250 deaths

Dogs are number 3 on the list. We should be banning a cats and farm animals first they kill more

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordatomsk View Post
    i hope you get shot and rapped in a back ally

infracted - flaming
    Is that where someone stands over your body and freestyles?

Quote Originally Posted by sariell View Post
    Deaths in 2016 by animals

1. Cats, cows, horses, pigs, raccoons, and other hoofed animals caused 655 deaths
    2. Hornets, wasps, and bees were responsible for 509 deaths.
    3. Dogs caused 250 deaths

Dogs are number 3 on the list. We should be banning a cats and farm animals first they kill more
    a) where's your source?

b) dogs aren't number 3 on the list-#1 lists 5 different specific animals and 1 rather broad class of animals, all of which are drastically different (i.e. I'll accept hornets/wasps/bees being lumped into 1 category).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Altrec View Post
    For someone so concerned with statistics you seem rather emotionally invested in this cause. Doing a quick look there was roughly 30 dog related fatalities last year, and while most of those were Pit Bulls that number of deaths in a country of over 320,000,000 is statistically irrelevant. From a less emotional standpoint I think there are a lot of things far more important to think about and work on than this.
    I'd hardly say 30 dead people is irrelevant. You're being extremely insulting and disrespectful to the deceased.
    I wrote a paper on pit bulls last year for class and I read an article about a family with two kids who thought they'd done a great job raising their adorable little pit, and never thought it would attack anybody. Then one of their kids walked around the back of the house and entered through a gate, and the pit spent 20 minutes lock-jawed onto the kid while the parents frantically tried to pull him away. Genetics can't be argued with. Similar to wild wolves, bears, or foxes, you can tame them, but you can hardly domesticate them. Aggression will always be a threat as long as it's part of their genetic makeup.

As some people have already posted I believe, breed in most of those "studies" is whatever a newspaper printed. When checked out, at least one of those studies was shown to have "golden retrievers" as a separate category for example, while over 20 different breeds were combined under "pitbull" due to the newspapers seeing a dog with a blunt face and assigning the label "pitbull" to it.

So yeah.. if you compare fatalities from a single breed to fatalities from TWENTY+ breeds, the category with at least twenty breeds is probably gonna be a bit higher.
    And that does not even get into the fact that it is literally as dangerous to have a freaking WINDOW FAN (note: NOT air conditioner, just a fan) as it is to have a pitbull even going by the statistics from the OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lucred View Post
    As some people have already posted I believe, breed in most of those "studies" is whatever a newspaper printed. When checked out, at least one of those studies was shown to have "golden retrievers" as a separate category for example, while over 20 different breeds were combined under "pitbull" due to the newspapers seeing a dog with a blunt face and assigning the label "pitbull" to it.

So yeah.. if you compare fatalities from a single breed to fatalities from TWENTY+ breeds, the category with at least twenty breeds is probably gonna be a bit higher.
    And that does not even get into the fact that it is literally as dangerous to have a freaking WINDOW FAN (note: NOT air conditioner, just a fan) as it is to have a pitbull even going by the statistics from the OP.
    A neighbors window fan isn't going to chase you across a yard and latch onto your leg or arm. Ridiculous comparison.

Probably people who are more likely to do shitty/violent things with dogs are more likely to own pitbulls or rotties because stereotypes.

PS I scrolled through 14 pages of this shit waiting for someone to post a meme/picture of Mr Worldwide aka Mr 305 but all of you let me down.

I do believe they are the most violent breed, but I have also met violent dogs of all other kinds, and pitbulls that were extremely nice. It all goes down to the person behind the dog, the fact they don´t require a special license or a prober background check from the government is beyond me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems interesting that the topic is that Pitbulls are the most violent dogs (not dangerous) and OP links statistics of fatalities as opposed to showing the statistics of actual dog ATTACKS, which would be the only way to appropriately identify which breeds are inherently more vicious or aggressive.

Pitbulls are definitely big strong dogs and have the ability to seriously injure anyone they bite, but fatalities and general violence/aggression levels do not directly correlate. Several other breeds are more prone to attacking people, but a breed like a Poodle can't do even near the damage a Pitbull could do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipboi View Post
    A neighbors window fan isn't going to chase you across a yard and latch onto your leg or arm. Ridiculous comparison.
    It's only a ridiculous comparison because you're biased. For instance, if I were to start going on about how absurd it is that there are millions of ladders lurking in households across the USA, would you consider that ridiculous? Ladders are statistically more likely to kill you than a Dog... shouldn't people be worried about that? Just because a dog is alive you're disproportionately applying blame to what is at best a freak occurance.