Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Straight from the CDC where most of the media is drawing their numbers (while not as good of a source as the FBI or the Justice Department) we can find out that of those 32,352 gun deaths, 21,175 of them were suicides. That leaves us with 11,177 deaths to account for. But as it turns out, the FBI records that 8,583 deaths were murders of various sorts involving guns of all types. The remaining roughly 2,500 were accounted for by accidents and unintentional injuries. These include hunting accidents, toddlers getting hold of unsecured weapons and shooting somebody or just plain idiots who proved Darwin right.

Before we move on, those FBI numbers deserve a closer look for a moment since we’re on the subject. What sorts of guns are used in actual crimes? I bring this up because each mass shooting elicits renewed calls for an “assault weapons” ban on guns like the AR-15 style rifle. Are those popular in crimes? Check out the figures from the FBI report.

Of the actual 8,583 gun murders committed in 2011, 323 were committed with “rifles.” And that’s all rifles, including bolt action, deer hunting rifles and all the rest. The number committed with so called “assault rifles” were a fraction of that. When you ask how dangerous those rifles are, compare that to nearly 1,700 who were stabbed as well as nearly 500 murdered with blunt objects and and more than 700 beaten to death by somebody with their bare hands.

You know what? I actually agree with you on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Race in the US is heavily correlated with economic class, and therefore crime. Red herring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    even less when crime vs income is brought up? oh right that's treated pretty much the same for other peoples narratives. funny how that works.
    So you are both saying that those people on the lower economic scale in the US are limited to only one particular race? And that is why that one race dominates the homicide statistics? And only poor people have access to guns?

- - - Updated - - -

Race in the US is heavily correlated with economic class, and therefore crime. Red herring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minifie View Post
    Pretty happy with the gun laws in australia. Can't say we frequently have issues involving firearms.
    Unless you are having a coffee in a Lindt cafe in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by Daethz View Post
    Human with bigger gun always wins.
    unless we remove all emotions including greed from humanity civilian disarmament is not a option and only exists to further dictatorships.
    That must explain why most of the civilized countries with functionning democracy, high human index and good security have very restrictive gun laws.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like how Moon-Man asked a simple question that even a total fucking moron could understand and formulate a response to, and somehow the dullards here can't even manage to meet those modest standards.
    Last edited by PickleballAce; 2017-06-17 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcin14 View Post

Civilians shouldn't own cars
    Thats not how it works, by this logic civilians shouldn't own hearts either. Don't be stupid.

Cars have other purposes besides dealing lethal physical force through usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    So you are both saying that those people on the lower economic scale in the US are limited to only one particular race? And that is why that one race dominates the homicide statistics? And only poor people have access to guns?
    1) don't play the coy game you're not good at it.
    2) blacks are overwhelmingly poor and again the poor= prone to crime is a thing and right out the gate you're trying to gloss over that and in a feeble attempt to turn your insinuations on me which won't work because again, quite frankly you're not clever enough to do that.
    3) why are you even trying, this is sad, even for you.
    Last edited by Sky High; 2017-06-17 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rethul Ur No View Post
    Moon-Man asks a simple question that even a total fucking moron could understand and respond to, and somehow you can't even manage to meet those modest standards.
    Yea, their simple question is a fallacy. And I'm sure even a total fucking moron could figure that out .

Deleted
    As an european nothing amazes me more than americans and their guns. Its not just sucides though, the fatality rate/ murder rate is insane in the us compared to other modern western countries.

Basically, im with jim jefferies on this one. If you like your gun laws, please have a watch and let me know what you think. Itll be both fun and educative.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    That must explain why most of the civilized countries with functionning democracy, high human index and good security have very restrictive gun laws.
    Issue being 'most'.

If a functioning democracy can have a high 'human index' (I'm guessing you mean quality of life or something) and good security while also having liberal gun laws, then the issue isn't the gun laws. It's something else.
    Last edited by LilSaihah; 2017-06-17 at 07:42 AM.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Herald of the Titans PickleballAce's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Yea, their simple question is a fallacy. And I'm sure even a total fucking moron could figure that out .
    Oh look, another one. I apologize. It must be an ESL thing you've got going on. I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Unless you are having a coffee in a Lindt cafe in Sydney.
    Didn't kill enough people to meet the definition of a mass shooting. You need at least three killed not including the killer. Lindt was only two.

The fact it was major news here really shows you the difference between Australia and the US.

- - - Updated - - -

Would you like to talk about revoking licenses from old people? Because I'm probably on board with that...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Careful you'll get the weapon fetishizing Americans riled up.

I don't mind it as long as it stays within the borders of the USA and far away from me.

Deleted
    Is this one of those graphs, where suicide is counted as homicide? Guns are a pretty good and pain free way of killing yourself.

Also take gangs killing each other out, or it will obviously be scewed.

10+ Year Old Account
    So explain how the US, which is pretty much the only developed Western nation without proper gun control, has about quadruple the homicide rate of its peers?
    Well, for starters, our population is also 5 to 6x the population of it's "peers"! So in actuality, it falls about in line.. If you we are using population vs population comparison. And we manage that without oppressive nation wide gun control. I also would like to remind you of this tiny gem:

While the scope of the graph is narrower.. The broader message, which can be laid by using the words "look at Chicago, Baltimore, Los Angeles, and Washington D.C." is simply "Gun control does more damage to law abiding citizens than it does criminals. Don't believe me? How is that War on Drugs doin?

We instituted massive gun controls after the Port Arthur massacre and haven't had a mass shooting since. Our homicide rate is about a quarter yours as well.
    Where are you from?
    Last edited by bowchikabow; 2017-06-17 at 07:55 AM.
    "When you build it, you love it!"

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Well, for starters, our population is also 5 to 6x the population of it's "peers"! So in actuality, it falls about in line.. If you we are using population vs population comparison. And we manage that without oppressive nation wide gun control. I also would like to remind you of this tiny gem:

[IMG]http://crimeresearch.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Screen-Shot-2016-07-10-at-Sunday-July-10-12.52-PM-1.png[IMG]

Where are you from?
    Doesn't help that gun regulations have to be federally mandated otherwise people can just leave their gun-free state/city, buy a gun, then come back.

Quote Originally Posted by bowchikabow View Post
    Those figures are obviously per capita. That's what makes it a homicide rate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Doesn't help that gun regulations have to be federally mandated otherwise people can just leave their gun-free state/city, buy a gun, then come back.
    also I love how bars and night clubs fall into that giant piece of the pie like that's indicative of us needing to let people bring guns into them. wow! a bunch of people getting drunk or dancing and some if not most are packing? what could go wrong! we need armed guards at every playground!

A gun isn't a weapon, its a tool. Like a butcher knife, or a harpoon, or an alligator. You just need more education on the topic. I'll tell you what, lets argue more on MMo Champion, and if you still don't agree guns are great, we can argue some more.

Seriously though, yes people need guns. How many people died recently from getting run over, stabbed or blown up by home made bombs? People will always find a way to kill people. Guns allow us to kill criminals and home invaders quickly and easily. There is a post up right now about how a guy stopped two escaped murders with a gun. He wouldn't have been able to without it.