15+ Year Old Account

Thinking of this build, is it overkill??

Building a new PC, I think I might have this overkill so if I can save some cash that would be much appreciated, or if you have suggestions to better items.

Budget: $1000-$1250
    Resolution: 1080p 1920x1080
    Games / Settings Desired: Final Fantasy XIV, Overwatch, SimCity, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Diablo 3, Destiny 2, on Ultra or High Settings
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: DVD editing using Sony Vegas
    Parts that can be reused: building from scratch
    Do you need an OS? No
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No

Ideally include a list of parts, we see the same request almost every day. There are other topics that have parts lists that you can copy and modify.

This is my first time using PC Parts Picker so that's why I'm unsure of what to use..

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fmwXzM

*note changed the GPU didn't realize I had the wrong one

oh, and forgot to mention I do not know how to Overclock so not interested in doing that. I prefer it stock.
    Last edited by residentisz; 2017-06-17 at 06:40 PM.

Couple of things.

1)Overkill PSU.

2)7600K is not worth it unless you push it to 4.5Ghz, and i wouldnt trust that air cooler for that long term.

3)Following 2, with Ryzen, 7600K is a waste, its either 7700K or R5 1600X (or non-x but for older games/WoW 4Ghz is pretty much required for any decent performance) and i would always prefer 1600X over 1600 + cooler + OC, i see no point in it when it exists ready for barely any cost increase since default fan works fine.

7700K is king of "I will mostly play older games and maybe new games", R5 1600X is king "I will play everything past and future" as you seem to be.

4)That 1060 is single fan, aka small PCB aka not overall decent quality, get a dual fan, aka its proper original PCB.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-06-17 at 06:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    4)That 1060 is single fan, aka small PCB aka not overall decent quality, get a dual fan, aka its proper original PCB.
    oh wow totally didn't notice I picked the wrong GPU, yeah a dual-fan is a must I agree.

re: your other points, I don't care for AMD at all since my first built PC from 2008 was AMD and had nothing but issues with the Xenon chip. Since 2009 I've gone intel. I know Intel costs more but seems better quality, at least in my limited experience.

Quote Originally Posted by residentisz View Post
    oh wow totally didn't notice I picked the wrong GPU, yeah a dual-fan is a must I agree.

re: your other points, I don't care for AMD at all since my first built PC from 2008 was AMD and had nothing but issues with the Xenon chip. Since 2009 I've gone intel. I know Intel costs more but seems better quality, at least in my limited experience.
    No that doesnt apply anymore, i explained to you why above.

I am an Intel fanboy too, i have a 6700K but i had to upgrade before Ryzen came out, there is no reason to buy a 7600K the way things are right now for the reason i stated above.

If you are gonna play everything, which you seem to be the type, multi-threading is something you are actually gonna use, which for the same money, the R5 1600X will treat you better overall.

Right now the general concensus is:

G4560 for budget builds.

R5 1600(X) for "every game build"

7700K for "Single core game" builds.

R7 for "I want to work with this and have money builds"

R5 1600X "I want to work and dont have money builds".

Basically my point is, the 2-3 FPS you are gonna miss from the older games, is balanced from the extra fps for the newer games.

either way, that doesnt mean your build is wrong or bad, it just means the general image is that you should go R5 1600X for what you want/your budget.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-06-17 at 06:50 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by residentisz View Post

Just a couple of things I noticed..

You state you had an AMD build and nothing but issues with the "Xenon" chip... well first off it's "Xeon" and to follow that up Xeon is a workstation/server class CPU from Intel so that's a little bit of incorrect information here.

Either you had the AMD Phenom or the AMD Phenom II from that year or you had an Intel Xeon.
    The AMD Phenom was an OK chip but simply very low clocked where the Phenom II was actually a pretty good architecture and had relatively little issues.
    The Intel Xeon from that year was a Core2 based architecture which was also pretty damn good... granted some of the motherboards, especially the lower budget ones, sucked major balls but that holds true for any motherboard vendor from that generation of chips, including AMD.

So which is it?

Following that the whole "Intel seems better quality" ... nope, that's not even remotely correct.
    At the level of production these chips were and are at they were all fantastic "quality" .. the only defining difference is nothing but the motherboard.
    Cheap out on either from those years and they were both garbage.

That said I concur with @potis for your situation, especially with your Sony Vegas editing.. the Ryzen chips obliterate Intel @ video editing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Either you had the AMD Phenom or the AMD Phenom II from that year or you had an Intel Xeon.
    The AMD Phenom was an OK chip but simply very low clocked where the Phenom II was actually a pretty good architecture and had relatively little issues.
    The Intel Xeon from that year was a Core2 based architecture which was also pretty damn good... granted some of the motherboards, especially the lower budget ones, sucked major balls but that holds true for any motherboard vendor from that generation of chips, including AMD.

So which is it?
    wow i can't believe i got the name that wrong lol it was this:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 Deneb Quad-Core 2.6 GHz Socket AM3 95W HDX810WFGIBOX Processor
    MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 275 DirectX 10 896-P3-1170-AR 896MB 448-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

all from newegg

anyhow, thanks for setting me straight guys.

here is the updated list i made, I think the PSU is too much but its a $10 difference between 750w and 850w

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q93XzM

appreciate all your help!

15+ Year Old Account
    A few things I see issues with and it is just my opinion.

1. Apevia fans are very budget and cheap fans.
    2. Why 2 240GB SSDs? The Plus versions of the Sandisk are again, budget.
    3. Budget case, do what you want but that case is horribly ugly, with bad cable management. It is something you will have to look at it everyday.
    4. Antec 850 Bronze? You wont be pulling 450w max, $96.00 is too much for a bronze PSU you dont need.
    5. The 1600x isnt worth an extra $60 ($30 cpu $29 HSF) The 1600 OCed and has its own HSF which is decent and will sustain the OC is a better option. You will need a better MoBo

Your cutting your budget in the wrong areas.

Something like this would be a much better build, but again its just my opinion.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($195.69 @ SuperBiiz)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($86.98 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($115.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($155.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.89 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card ($264.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.41 @ NCIX US)
    Case Fan: Noctua - NF-P14r redux-1500 PWM 78.7 CFM 140mm Fan ($14.73 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $1023.54
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-18 06:08 EDT-0400