IO Interactive Officially Goes Indie, Confirms Ownership of Hitman IP

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/...Hitman-IP.html

IO Interactive has today released a statement, officially confirming that the Danish studio has negotiated a management buyout with Square Enix to become an independent studio, having been dropped by the publisher. "Crucially, we will keep all of the rights to the Hitman IP," IO Interactive CEO Hakan Abrak said in the statement.

"I am proud to announce today that IOI is now officially an independent studio. We have successfully concluded our negotiations with Square Enix and have agreed to a management buyout," Abrak continues. "This is a watershed moment for IOI. As of today, we have complete control over the direction for our studio and the Hitman IP - we’re about to forge our own future and it’s incredibly exciting.

"We are now open to opportunities with future collaborators and partners to help strengthen us as a studio and ensure that we can produce the best games possible for our community."

IO Interactive returns to its roots as an independent studio once more then, aiming to continue the Hitman series with more content planned in the future. "We have more details to come on our plans for that next week," Abrak concluded.

Whether that means more content for the existing Hitman, or the advent of a second season, remains to be seen. Naturally, we'll be keeping an eye out for whatever shape Hitman's future will take under a newly independent IO.
    Happy that both the company and the hitman IP lives.

Edit: Can a mod fix the title, it was suppose to be IO.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-06-17 at 08:16 PM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Well, good for them if they manage to keep afloat. SE seems to never be satisfied with their studios (remember, Tomb Raider 2013 has sold a lot and still wasn't profitable until some years) so being able to break from their grasp is a plus.
    Damn, the new Hitman looks fun but i'm pretty sure the amazing idea of an episodic release and always online requirements kinda killed the hype.
    Of course SE blamed the studio while those ideas probably was from SE itself...

Well, at least IO managed to keep their property... if only Kojima Production could have done the same with Metal Gear.
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

It would have been fucking tragic if the Hitman IP had remained at SE. I am excited to see what comes next.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Overall can't say I'm too thrilled in particular. Hitman is good but its popularity is lacking and the studio going solo with the IP looks more like SE cutting their losses. When safe RPGs like Nier:Autonama can come close to Hitman game sales, its a no brainer to start looking to reinvest in that market.

I hope the studio can keep the fans of Hitman happy. It would be a shame if they went bankrupt.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

I don't know their finances but this sounds incredibly risky. They are a medium sized team with a single ip and no publisher backup. My gut tells me this is going to be a rough ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    When safe RPGs like Nier:Autonama can come close to Hitman game sales, its a no brainer to start looking to reinvest in that market.
    Thanks to this i'm now picturing a new Hitman game but with 2B as the players character.

Quote Originally Posted by notanmmmonewbie View Post
    Thanks to this i'm now picturing a new Hitman game but with 2B as the players character.
    All her disguises fail because everyone can see dat ass.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope the episodic release and always online requirements were decisions made by Square Enix. I wasn't a big fan of either of those and still haven't bought the latest game. And I was a HUGE fan of the series in the past... Silent Assassin, Contracts, and Blood Money are legitimately some of my most played games growing up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manabomb View Post
    When safe RPGs like Nier:Autonama can come close to Hitman game sales, its a no brainer to start looking to reinvest in that market.
    The previous Games in that Series barely sold outside of Japan, and even in Japan it didn't sell that well. I'd argue that Nier: Automata was anything but a safe investment - it was risky, but it paid off quite well for all involved.

(or I misread your post :-D)

Good for them. It'll be interesting if they'll now back down on the always online DRM.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    All her disguises fail because everyone can see dat ass.
    To be fair that'd be a great distraction though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    All the guards just staring at dat ass.
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    A great distraction for the AI guards or us players? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    That's great news, the last Hitman game was amazing