Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Truhan View Post
    Alright guys, I guess it's settled that getting a processor is NOT the way to go. But again, no way am I buying a mobo, processor, heatsink AND Windows.
    Just a side note. When we just upgraded the CPU on the AMD box in the house. The only thing we upgraded was the CPU everything else was the same. Windows 10 still thought it was a different computer. Luckily we were able to get Microsoft to resolve the license issue. I'm not sure this will be the case now or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Just a side note. When we just upgraded the CPU on the AMD box in the house. The only thing we upgraded was the CPU everything else was the same. Windows 10 still thought it was a different computer. Luckily we were able to get Microsoft to resolve the license issue. I'm not sure this will be the case now or not.
    Interested in what happened during this process.
    If you don't mind.

Since I am planning on a motherboard, CPU and RAM replacement due to old architecture and so minimal benefits to individual upgrades and high costs.
    But its on an OEM license, inherited through Vista (original) to Windows 7 and Windows 10 upgrades.

As suggested in another thread there are the "usual sites" for a cheap windows license, but I really don't like their business model so will if necessary fork out the going rate for a license either from MS or a legitimate retailer.
    Being able to avoid that cost would be welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Just one more quick question, I expect that I probably should get an anti-static wrist band for installing the cooler, right? I'm absolutely mortified of the possibility that I might fry my CPU while cleaning off the old thermal grease.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just one more quick question, I expect that I probably should get an anti-static wrist band for installing the cooler, right? I'm absolutely mortified of the possibility that I might fry my CPU while cleaning off the old thermal grease.
    The chance is very small but it’s your hard earned stuff and a wristband is cheap and re-usable so I’d say go for it.

Well, given that you are not willing to swap out the Mobo, I'd say it's better to stick with your current CPU for now and buy some cooling solution instead. Something like a Noctua NH-D15 not only will solve the overheating problem but also will be a decent cooling solution for your future rigs as well.

But first make sure it's actually an overheating problem.

Might as well get off the platform. For $10 more on the cpu you could get a ryzen 5 1400 and it's about 20% faster than the 8370. To me it makes zero sense to spend 150 usd on an old platform. If you found one used for maybe 50 usd then yeah but not worth the premium for this imo.
    Last edited by Barnabas; 2017-06-17 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Well, given that you are not willing to swap out the Mobo, I'd say it's better to stick with your current CPU for now and buy some cooling solution instead. Something like a Noctua NH-D15 not only will solve the overheating problem but also will be a decent cooling solution for your future rigs as well.

But first make sure it's actually an overheating problem.
    I'm reasonably sure it's the CPU overheating. My case is poorly ventilated and my mobo has some kind of overheat protection that causes the computer to shut down if it runs too hot. My idle temp as of right now (with one side intake fan and one rear exhaust) is anywhere from 55 degrees to 63 degrees. Start watching youtube or playing a game, and it stays at 78 - 80. Now, I'm a complete fucking idiot, but what I think is happening is that 80 degrees is the max temperature the CPU is supposed to be at (I've never seen it go above 80 and CoreTemp lists 80 as its max). So, when it's at 80 for too long, it either shuts down or starts underclocking until it shuts down or some shit. My GPU is utterly cool in comparison (it never goes above 60 degrees under load). I always shuts down my computer at night and for a few hours during midday when I take a nap. When I started shutting it down midday, it stopped shutting down on its own so often (but it's still happened a few times). I have two hard drives with Windows installed and the shut downs have happened no matter which drive I used. And just to add a bit more info on the problem, if I restart my computer too soon after it shuts down, it tends to shut right back down unless I give it a few minutes before turning it back on. Again, it seems to me like it's the CPU cooling off before it lets me turn it back on. But I'm not THAT well informed about these kinds of problems, so there's a good chance I'm completely wrong.
    Last edited by Truhan; 2017-06-17 at 11:53 PM.
    Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.

I'm reasonably sure it's the CPU overheating. My case is poorly ventilated and my mobo has some kind of overheat protection that causes the computer to shut down if it runs too hot. My idle temp as of right now (with one side intake fan and one rear exhaust) is anywhere from 55 degrees to 63 degrees. Start watching youtube or playing a game, and it stays at 78 - 80. Now, I'm a complete fucking idiot, but what I think is happening is that 80 degrees is the max temperature the CPU is supposed to be at (I've never seen it go above 80 and CoreTemp lists 80 as its max). So, when it's at 80 for too long, it either shuts down or starts underclocking until it shuts down or some shit. My GPU is utterly cool in comparison (it never goes above 60 degrees under load). I always shuts down my computer at night and for a few hours during midday when I take a nap. When I started shutting it down midday, it stopped shutting down on its own so often (but it's still happened a few times). I have two hard drives with Windows installed and the shut downs have happened no matter which drive I used. And just to add a bit more info on the problem, if I restart my computer too soon after it shuts down, it tends to shut right back down unless I give it a few minutes before turning it back on. Again, it seems to me like it's the CPU cooling off before it lets me turn it back on. But I'm not THAT well informed about these kinds of problems, so there's a good chance I'm completely wrong.
    Max core temp of FX-4/6 is 71°c, so 80 seems about right for max Mobo temp. But why is the CPU running so hot? Have you cleaned your PC recently?

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleDuck View Post
    Max core temp of FX-4/6 is 71°c, so 80 seems about right for max Mobo temp. But why is the CPU running so hot? Have you cleaned your PC recently?
    Haven't cleaned it recently, no. I was planning on giving it a good cleaning while replacing whatever it is I end up replacing. Again, it is VERY poorly ventilated, which is why I've considered liquid cooling (since the H60 uses the rear vent as an intake instead of exhaust and I can use the fan already there for a push/pull).

They are cheap but not necessary. As long as youre grounded, touching the metal part of the case youll be good. If youre going to build/work on your own PC get a PC toolkit, they always come with anti-static wrist bands.

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    Interested in what happened during this process.
    If you don't mind.
    Just switched one CPU for the new CPU. Same motherboard. Booted into windows. Windows 10 (Its been a little while close to the release of Windows 10). I think it was the not an active license. The wife ended up calling the number on the screen for phone in activation. They gave her a series of numbers to fill in the blanks and its activated.

I'm not sure if they did this due to close to the release for Windows 10. They may not do it now. I think they also needed her to provide the serial number for the cpu. Maybe the motherboard.

Alright, I'm looking at my CPU idle temps yet again right now and it seems a BIT better than before I had my case fan installed. It's idling at 47 to 55 degrees with my web browser up (but no youtube running). I'd still like to come to a decision on a cooler soon, but I don't want to rush it.

A 50% increase in cost is more than what I'm able to spend.
    Honestly, that's your best and cheapest bet. I know you probably don't realize this, but if your CPU is running as hot as you say it is, your VRMs on the motherboars are also running very hot. In fact, that may be more of your problem than the CPU on an older AMD platform. Certain ones were notorious for burning out VRMs on cheaper motherboards. Due to that, you may install a new CPU in that motherboard and immediately have the same issues and have spent what you spent for nothing and end up having to spend even more to replace the motherboard anyway. Yeah, 50% more is a lot, but it's still under $200 for a very large upgrade. Suit yourself though.

Deleted
    Why the hell don't you just pirate a windows 10 copy? It's not like you should feel remorse for companies like microsoft or intel. I have never paid or bought anything windows related. They don't deserve it and quite frankly I can't even afford gametime. Why would I throw money at scumbags?

I will be switching to linux to be completely free from them too. Will switch to AMD ryzen in the future too. Whenever I can

Sorry for the off topic rant, by the way!

Infracted. Don't suggest piracy on these forums. - Cilraaz
    Last edited by Cilraaz; 2017-06-19 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erotaku View Post
    Why the hell don't you just pirate a windows 10 copy? It's not like you should feel remorse for companies like microsoft or intel. I have never paid or bought anything windows related. They don't deserve it and quite frankly I can't even afford gametime. Why would I throw money at scumbags?

I will be switching to linux to be completely free from them too. Will switch to AMD ryzen in the future too. Whenever I can

Even if we do these things ourselves, we do not suggest or promote doing it on these forums as it is against the rules.

show me on the doll where MS and intel hurt you? i mean really pay for them b.c. its the right thing to do, and MS is pretty good these days. Just use a MS account and your win 10 license is there for rebuilds etc.. much better than the old days. Why wouldn't the coders putting in thousands of hours desrve money for it? Pretty sure whatever job you have, you wouldn't like someone taking your product and not paying you for your work.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

15+ Year Old Account

Infracted. Don't suggest piracy on these forums. - Cilraaz
    OMG this made me laugh...

You dont need to pirate Windows 10

It runs just fine un-activated until you can afford to buy a license.

OT: Dont waste your money on a 8370, you wont notice anything in wow. Clean out your PC, go ahead and get a new HSF, a air cooler is fine, temps wont be that much different than a AIO and stop spending money on the FX system. Wait until you can afford to upgrade to something better in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    OMG this made me laugh...

You dont need to pirate Windows 10

It runs just fine un-activated until you can afford to buy a license.

OT: Dont waste your money on a 8370, you wont notice anything in wow. Clean out your PC, go ahead and get a new HSF, a air cooler is fine, temps wont be that much different than a AIO and stop spending money on the FX system. Wait until you can afford to upgrade to something better in the future.
    I don't play WoW and, as stated in my update, I'm not going to get the processor. I went ahead and got the 212, so now I'm just waiting for it to come in. Temps weren't as much the point for me to go liquid as it was the ease of installation (I watched a video where a guy spent longer screwing in the fan than putting the water block on the processor) more than anything. It just wasn't worth over double the price.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't play WoW and, as stated in my update, I'm not going to get the processor. I went ahead and got the 212, so now I'm just waiting for it to come in. Temps weren't as much the point for me to go liquid as it was the ease of installation (I watched a video where a guy spent longer screwing in the fan than putting the water block on the processor) more than anything. It just wasn't worth over double the price.
    My bad. I guess I got wrapped up in all the BS everyone else was posting.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    My bad. I guess I got wrapped up in all the BS everyone else was posting.
    It's fine, can't expect you to know EVERY detail I posted. I'm a bit nervous about me screwing up when putting the thing on my processor, but if I do that with the H60 without some spare thermal paste, I'd be seriously screwed. Here's to hoping I don't fuck up.