Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Americs vs big business and govt agencies

I'm going to be truthful, I voted for Donald Trump Im going to say that flat out. My reasons at the time was purely out of distrust of Hillary Clinton. I do not regret my choice. The only positive out of this presidency is that Donald will probably resign if effective evidence is used against him. I just don't understand why we as a Americans can't as a collective group work together to fix our problems.

We have mainstream media groups, from what it appears to be, making us choose sides. For what? America the land were the poor and middle class would rather fight each other than these major companies and govt agencies that are almost controlling your lives. I'm confused. We work hard and get little pay, yet one person can barely afford the rent/mortgage and all the other requirements society demands of us. We are so busy fighting each other and being distracted by what The Donald is doing, we are completely blind to what is happening in the background.

It is sad really to see America and the world in such distress. We have companies in America that could easily increase the wages of there employers, but choose to give them what state and federal law deems appropriate. Water companies that convinced congress to turn water from a human right to a human need and govt agencies and businesses spying on daily. We have let the powerful become almost omnipitant. We dont need our goverment our government needs us and that's world wide.

Why let the same people that depend on us, shit on us? That is not how it is supposed to be, nor should it ever be. We should stop picking the side of our politians and choose the side of the America people.

Edit: What can we do as a populous to regain control of our lives? Because it is obvious those appointed over us don't have the people at the bottom best interest in mind.
    Last edited by fudgeit; 2017-06-17 at 03:23 PM.

Everyone wants to have that "American dream" but to obtain it you have to lie, deceive, fight and plainly leave others crippled.
    It's a "me me me me me" mentality and is detrimental to coöperation.

Everyone wants to fill their own pockets and Trump knows it because he is the epitome of such a man.
    All he has to do is play into the greed of people and violá.
    Not that the people get much out of it since he'll only continue to fill his own pockets.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2017-06-17 at 01:04 PM.

Because someone lost. Sore losers won't "move on".. happened with Obama too. People were sore for 8 yeas while he was pres.
    People are so stupid, lets say a president leads to WW3 and nuclear disaster. I bet the people that voted him in would be fine with that, as long as the candidate THEY voted for won.

The Nordic Empire will annex you.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    Because someone lost. Sore losers won't "move on".. happened with Obama too. People were sore for 8 yeas while he was pres.
    People are so stupid, lets say a president leads to WW3 and nuclear disaster. I bet the people that voted him in would be fine with that, as long as the candidate THEY voted for won.
    This is beyond sore loser. When you actually sit and read what his travel ban states you can see signs of American freedom given up aswell.

" Sec. 7. Expedited Completion of the Biometric Entry-Exit Tracking System. (a) The Secretary of Homeland Security shall expedite the completion and implementation of a biometric entry-exit tracking system for all travelers to the United States, as recommended by the National Commission on Terrorist Attacks Upon the United States."

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press...-united-states

We dont need biometrics. Why should i have to scan my eye or fingerprints at an airport?

Quote Originally Posted by fudgeit View Post
    I just don't understand why we as a Americans can't as a collective group work together to fix our problems.
    Your post is basically this and the answer is pretty simple, people disagree. Not only about what is a problem but viable and/or the best solutions to any given problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    Everyone wants to have that "American dream" but to obtain it you have to lie, deceive, fight and plainly leave others crippled.

Everyone wants to fill their own pockets and Trump knows it because he is the epitome of such a man.
    Not that the people get much out of it since he'll only continue to fill his own pockets.
    "American dream" means different things to different people. To some it means becoming a millionaire but to the vast majority it means home ownership, car, all the material things and for the vast majority the American dream is easy to obtain.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    We have mainstream media groups, from what it appears to be, making us choose sides. For what? America the land were the poor and middle class would rather fight each other than these major companies and govt agencies that are almost controlling your lives. I'm confused. We work hard and get little pay, yet one person can barely afford the rent/mortgage and all the other requirements society demands of us. We are so busy fighting each other and being distracted by what The Donald is doing, we are completely blind to what is happening in the background.
    It's the people and their "fuck you I got mine" mentality. Any time tax is used for free stuff they flip out because apparently they worked too hard for others to have it easier.

When will Americs learn?

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    It's the people and their "fuck you I got mine" mentality. Any time tax is used for free stuff they flip out because apparently they worked too hard for others to have it easier.
    And these same people with this attitude destroyed the same thing that was put in place to protect them; labor unions.

The OP's post pretty much explains the problem, it seems he leans more towards the left and against corporate interests but was somehow persuaded to vote Trump over Hillary due to trust, despite the former being an obvious compulsive liar and personifying the rich and corporate interests. Basically it's easy to manipulate​ people using fear even if it means they'll vote against their own interests.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    An entire society founded on the principle of personal enrichment is likely to have really bad consequences. A Civilization who can only survive through the mass conspicuous consumption of its members also cannot survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Edit: What can we do as a populous to regain control of our lives? Because it is obvious those appointed over us don't have the people at the bottom best interest in mind.
    One of the biggest things we can do is demand campaign finance and electoral reform.

Running for office is very expensive, and in order to have the money to reach enough voters, politicians are highly dependent on checks from wealthy and/or corporate donors. When it comes time to vote, politicians have to think of not just who voted for them, but who paid for them. Campaign reforms that limit the need for big money donors will help make politicians more responsive to the voters.

As far as working together, better district drawing is one thing that can help encourage bipartisanship. It's not just that Gerrymandering favors one party currently, it's that when most seats in Congress are party-safe seats, Reps in most districts are more concerned about getting primaried than about losing to the other party. More competitive districts can help moderate politicians that otherwise would safely be able to ignore the other party's voters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    An entire society founded on the principle of personal enrichment is likely to have really bad consequences. A Civilization who can only survive through the mass conspicuous consumption of its members also cannot survive.
    What do you mean by personal enrichment?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    One of the biggest things we can do is demand campaign finance and electoral reform.

Running for office is very expensive, and in order to have the money to reach enough voters, politicians are highly dependent on checks from wealthy and/or corporate donors. When it comes time to vote, politicians have to think of not just who voted for them, but who paid for them. Campaign reforms that limit the need for big money donors will help make politicians more responsive to the voters.

As far as working together, better district drawing is one thing that can help encourage bipartisanship. It's not just that Gerrymandering favors one party currently, it's that when most seats in Congress are party-safe seats, Reps in most districts are more concerned about getting primaried than about losing to the other party. More competitive districts can help moderate politicians that otherwise would safely be able to ignore the other party's voters.
    What if the government pays for the campaign, and all donations goes into the same pool?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean by personal enrichment?
    Personal enrichment would be the chasing of material pleasures and riches as ones sole basis for existing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

What if the government pays for the campaign, and all donations goes into the same pool?
    This would (imo) be the most effective way to approach it long-term, but it doesn't fit our current system perfectly.
    - Some people would be averse to having to pay more taxes in order to fund the campaigns
    - There would be a lot of decisions to make in regards to how to decide who gets the funding. In many other countries, parties pick the candidates, and voters primarily pick a party- but in the US we pick individuals. Giving funding to the parties to distribute to candidates is a smoother distribution method, but may not fit as well with our individual-based ballots.

In the meantime, I think almost any solution for reducing the role of money in campaigns would involve shortening the campaigns. Shorter campaigns take less money to run. Less money required = less focus on getting donors and keeping them happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post

This seems pretty bizarre and disconnected from reality. Most people who end up making a good salary, moving into a nicer home, having a family, etc... don't in any significant way leave others "crippled" in order to do it. Of course it depends what your definition of American Dream is, but the things I listed are probably what most think of.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Personal enrichment would be the chasing of material pleasures and riches as ones sole basis for existing.
    Oh ok, I thought you meant like taking a writing class after work kind of personal enrichment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    This would (imo) be the most effective way to approach it long-term, but it doesn't fit our current system perfectly.
    - Some people would be averse to having to pay more taxes in order to fund the campaigns
    - There would be a lot of decisions to make in regards to how to decide who gets the funding. In many other countries, parties pick the candidates, and voters primarily pick a party- but in the US we pick individuals. Giving funding to the parties to distribute to candidates is a smoother distribution method, but may not fit as well with our individual-based ballots.

In the meantime, I think almost any solution for reducing the role of money in campaigns would involve shortening the campaigns. Shorter campaigns take less money to run. Less money required = less focus on getting donors and keeping them happy.
    I was thinking something like the same pool for every nominee. So it doesn't matter which party you back your donation goes for the presidential campaign itself.

I was thinking something like the same pool for every nominee. So it doesn't matter which party you back your donation goes for the presidential campaign itself.
    You still have to determine who has access to that pool of money in the first place.

OP has a loser college drop out mentalilty. No one controls my life. I may more than enough for the American dream. Stop whining like a little bitch and put in some work.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours