Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Were Overwatch characters designed to feel "familiar"?

Overwatch is one of my favorite games right now (and has been for a while). And when we were introduced to a lot of these characters I couldn't help but seem to already -know- them. There were some that had obvious references, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I think it might be possible Blizzard intended to mish-mash characters we already know together to create something new, but still familiar to us. And while I'm primarily referring to aesthetics, some story-wise as well.

1. Torbjorn

Dr. Robotnik/Eggman + Classic Fantasy Dwarf

2. Winston

Beast from X-Men + Caeser from Planet of the Apes

3. McCree

Clint Eastwood (obviously)

4. Reaper

Spawn. African American male mercenary who is killed and brought back from hell.

5. Junkrat + Roadhog

Generally speaking... Mad Max crazy people

6. Soldier 76

Cyclops

I'll add more later, but also give me some of the connections you've all made.

There also are some pretty unique ones. I feel Ana is for example.

Widowmaker looks like a mix between Beyonce and Sylvanas.
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

I mean....

Some are just inspired by tropes though. That's nothing really unique in general for games.

Subconsciously I must have made these connections but never realized how closely they match. The Soldier 76/Cyclops, McCree/Eastwood, Winston/Beast most definitely, but the Dr. Robotnik/Torbjorn is spot on.

Nice connection!

I'd ague that there aren't any new real ideas, so its easy to parallel to others ie "familiar"

7+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard works really hard to create new characters, but somehow they automatically relate to some past characters cuz the creators also have sub-conscious memory.
    - says Ralph

Deleted
    Junkrat feels more like Joker to me

They're just based off common tropes. Of course there will be similarities.

Not necessarily in my opinion. Everything looks like another thing now

Cyclops? Clearly both are inspired by Gazerbeam!

Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    They're just based off common tropes. Of course there will be similarities.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsohta View Post
    Not necessarily in my opinion. Everything looks like another thing now
    I think they are more direct references. Since you can easily name 1 or 2 core source characters. If it was a common trope, we'd be able to find several and lump them all into a category - but that's not necessarily the case.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    We don't know for sure if reaper ever died ... and those kinds of characters are pretty commonplace.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Oh, definitely they were. It's far easier for them to connect to people if you can at-a-glance know who they are and what they are about. Whether that particular character happens to jive with you or not is another matter. But there is a little something for everyone. Mysterious ninja? Sure. In fact, have two of those. Undead(?) warrior? We got one! Easily identifiable and relatable archetypes? WE GOT LOTSA DAT!

Because 76 has got a visor he is supposed to be designed like cyclops?

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Because 76 has got a visor he is supposed to be designed like cyclops?
    Visor + the entire color scheme (Red/Blue).

Quote Originally Posted by pok5 View Post
    Junkrat feels more like Joker to me
    espially when you wait in the hero pick screen before the game starts and junk starts to smile/laugh like a maniac

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Visor + the entire color scheme (Red/Blue).

Early concept art. And his color scheme is red white and blue which is your sterotypical american hero color scheme.

15+ Year Old Account
    Right, and his backstory is inspired by more of a Captain America / Winter Solider deal. Even in the concept art for the Ranger class in the leaked Titan concept art, it refers to him as being Steve Rogers-inspired.

Because having a game full with familiarities to non-"the masses" people will ..guess what, not sell well in the masses.

15+ Year Old Account
    Most everything in their games are based on pop culture in some form or another.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222