Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Unfortunately, that ship has sailed. Rosenstein -- correctly or not -- is being cited as the reason Trump fired Comey. Then, Rosenstein has already brought in Mueller. Maybe under the circumstances this could have played out differently, but if anything, it was Rosenstein who has acted improperly. For the record, I don't think he did. He seemed pretty upset at being cited for the reason Trump fired Comey, almost as if he knew Trump was going to fire him anyhow. Which Trump admitted.

I firmly do not believe that, if an investigation turns to the point where one is looking at one's own boss, that in and of itself is not sufficient reason to recuse oneself. Otherwise, the President -- any President -- would be immune to DOJ investigation, as they are head of the executive branch. Now, if Mueller were to say "I like/trust/don't want to investigate Rosenstein so I recuse myself" I think people would at least understand, but to the best of my knowledge, they've never had a working relationship. Rosenstein hired the guy under the watching eyes of the Senate, nay, the world, to be independent. Everyone said he was a good choice.

The suggestion that Mueller recuse himself has been tossed around on various sites, yes, but not much, and not by the people who matter most, such as Congress. There is just no driving reason.
    Rosenstein recusing himself is a foregone conclusion. Because Sessions has already recused himself, the case will fall to Rachel Brand. One of the interesting things about this second transfer of authority is that Brand can simply disagree with Rosenstein's decision to have a special counsel in the first place and it is her prerogative to do so as acting AG. I don't think this should happen unless the shitshow gets considerably more shitshow-y than it already is, but it's possible. Regarding Mueller, I wonder exactly what the Judiciary Committee wants to talk with him about. There's a potential conflict of interest with one of his team members because she was a Clinton Foundation lawyer, which may be what the committee wants to talk about.

We went from LARPers to Superheroes. This is truly entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    We went from LARPers to Superheroes. This is truly entertaining.
    I'm surprised they didn't continue with the Harry Potter theming.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    There's a potential conflict of interest with one of his team members because she was a Clinton Foundation lawyer, which may be what the committee wants to talk about.
    How is that a potential conflict of interest? The Clintons aren't under investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    How is that a potential conflict of interest? The Clintons aren't under investigation.
    Chuck Grassley opened some sort of new investigation into Clinton actions regarding a Bangladeshi businessman when she was SecState, but I don't know if that's relevant to this investigation into Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    Well, they're still looking for Saddam's WMDs, so far to no avail. Even went as far as overthrowing and killing Saddam and plunging Iraq into terrorist chaos, but that didn't help. Saddam must've hidden those WMDs damn well.
    Yeah, that's my point. If we had fully investigated the WMDs, like we're trying to do with Russia, we could have avoided that whole stupid war. That makes it an excellent idea to continue pushing the investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadiru View Post
    I can't think of any reason it would be, since the investigation isn't touching Bangladesh, either.

Mueller's team has grown more this week.
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1AH5F9

Exclusive: Former Justice Department official joins Mueller team

By Karen Freifeld | NEW YORK
    (Reuters) - A former U.S. Justice Department official has become the latest lawyer to join special counsel Robert Mueller's team investigating Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election, a spokesman for the team confirmed.

Greg Andres started on Tuesday, becoming the 16th lawyer on the team, said Josh Stueve, a spokesman for the special counsel.

Most recently a white-collar criminal defense lawyer with New York law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, Andres, 50, served at the Justice Department from 2010 to 2012. He was deputy assistant attorney general in the criminal division, where he oversaw the fraud unit and managed the program that targeted illegal foreign bribery.

Mueller, who was appointed special counsel in May, is looking into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia during the election, among other matters. Congressional committees are also investigating the matter.

That Mueller continues to expand his team means the probe is not going to end anytime soon, said Robert Ray, who succeeded Kenneth Starr as independent counsel for the Whitewater investigation during the Clinton administration.

"It's an indication that the investigation is going to extend well into 2018," said Ray. "Whether it extends beyond 2018 is an open question."

The special counsel last month asked the White House to preserve all of its communications about a June 2016 meeting that included the president’s eldest son, Donald Trump Jr., his son-in-law and adviser Jared Kushner, and Russian lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya.

Russian officials have denied meddling in the U.S. election, and Trump denies any collusion by his campaign.

Among the cases Andres oversaw at the Justice Department was the prosecution of Texas financier Robert Allen Stanford, who was convicted in 2012 for operating an $8 billion Ponzi scheme.

Before that, Andres was a federal prosecutor in Brooklyn for over a decade, eventually serving as chief of the criminal division in the U.S. attorney's office there. He prosecuted several members of the Bonanno organized crime family, one of whom was accused of plotting to have Andres killed.

A graduate of Notre Dame and University of Chicago Law School, Andres was a Peace Corps volunteer in Benin from 1989 to 1992.

He is married to Ronnie Abrams, a U.S. district judge in Manhattan nominated to the bench in 2011 by Democratic President Barack Obama.

Others on the special counsel team include Andrew Weissmann, chief of the Justice Department's fraud section; Andrew Goldstein, former head of the public corruption unit at the U.S. Attorney's Office in Manhattan; and James Quarles, who was an assistant special prosecutor in the Watergate investigation that helped bring down President Richard Nixon.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Mueller's team has grown more this week.
    http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1AH5F9
    I like how a good deal of his team are people that look into financial crime. Which means we know exactly what they are going to pin him with if they pin him with anything. Most likely something financial, money laundering for instance. Which wouldn't necessarily surprise me since Trump has connections with Deutche Bank and the Bank of Cyprus, both of which are popular Russian money laundering banks. Our commerce secretary was the CEO of the Bank of Cyprus.

This administration is such a fail, especially with the Orange Turd heading it. I think first law students could prosecute some of these idiots. Now never underestimate idiots getting away with crimes.

Yes, you need a Dream Team, since you are going after POTUS. Many roadblocks and people will try to cover up.

So how is this going?

Kind of quiet in here lately.....

Any day now, still?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Friendly Kitty Cat View Post
    Any day now, still?
    No, we've all been pretty clearly that an investigation of this magnitude will take a long time. Months, at least. Years, probably.

So how is this going?

Any day now, still?
    Considering he just got a grand jury, it isn't all that fucking quiet on the Trump Investigation.

So how is this going?

Any day now, still?
    A little defensive there, aren't we? Why are you so hung up on this? We've all been saying this process will take years to see the investigation through to completion.

Why are you in such a rush to end this? Do you not want them to thoroughly investigate and get to the truth, whether it be that this is indeed a "nothingburger" or if there is any criminal wrongdoing?

So how is this going?

Any day now, still?
    Any day soon he's going to impanel a grand jury.

Oh... wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.