Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    It was part of the problem, if they wanted a black johnny storm they should of went with a black sue also to keep them as true brother/sister and not destroy the lore. Then look at the actors, Johnny Storm who is supposed to be the youngest of them looks the oldest.
    again heritage of johnny and susan have zero to do with them as characters or their sibling relationship, in fact their sibling relationship was more accurate to the comics in the recent f4 then the previous two versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Nobody gave fuck because man babies that played video games all day didn't populate so much of the country. Hardly any movies strictly follow source material. It's an issue now because some make it one.
    Dont pretend pandering to minorities/gender isnt a huge thing nowdays and it feeling FORCED is a big problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    again heritage of johnny and susan have zero to do with them as characters or their sibling relationship, in fact their sibling relationship was more accurate to the comics in the recent f4 then the previous two versions.
    It absolutely does matter! As a fan of the comics since childhood seeing characters race/gender swapped is a huge turn off. None of that has anything to do with being a racist or anti-feminist.
    Chris Evans was pretty much spot on in not only looks but also personality and character.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, if Wonder Woman was a huge success, go ahead and bring out She-Ra. Super-women movies galore, go!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by minkage View Post
    Dont pretend pandering to minorities/gender isnt a huge thing nowdays and it feeling FORCED is a big problem.

- - - Updated - - -

It absolutely does matter! As a fan of the comics since childhood seeing characters race/gender swapped is a huge turn off. None of that has anything to do with being a racist or anti-feminist.
    Chris Evans was pretty much spot on in not only looks but also personality and character.
    This is a bad idea and it's going to probably be a shitty movie. Not because who they cast is black but because they are quick to cash in off the sweat of Wonder Woman cause it knocked it out of the park.

She Ra sucked because He-Man sucked in my opinion and She Ra was made in the first place because she's He Man with a vagina. It's just a crap idea cause it's crap which in turn will be a shitty movie. Kind of hope they don't make her a POC to spare whomever from this bad idea. Like Jem Movie
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Maybe a latina or an asian or middle eastern actress.

I loved Masters of the Universe when I was a kid and collected quite a few of the toys. A couple of years back, I watched an old episode of the cartoon designed to sell those cool toys, and it left much to be desired.

It needs to stay in the past along with all the other shitty B-rated cartoons that hollywood seems to want to turn into movies lately. :/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowdasher View Post
    Whenever I see discussions like this I always think back to the 1989 Batman movie. Billy Dee Williams(a black man) played Harvey Dent(a white man in the comics). No one raised a fist. No one protested. In fact, no one cared! Part of the reason is there wasn't an agenda behind it, and social media wasn't around(it's a cancer these days).
    To be honest, I had to watch the movie quite a few times before I even paid attention to his character being Harvey Dent. I was just "Oh look, it's Lando!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Well, if Wonder Woman was a huge success, go ahead and bring out She-Ra. Super-women movies galore, go!
    It might be too late for She-Ra. The train passed in the 1980's. Wonder Woman has been around for almost as long as Superman, and is known to three or four generations of people. She-Ra's fame only lasted for a couple of years, and if you missed it back then, chances are you've never even heard of her. I was a big fan of He-Man when I was a kid, but I never knew of She-Ra until 20 years later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    It might be too late for She-Ra. The train passed in the 1980's. Wonder Woman has been around for almost as long as Superman, and is known to three or four generations of people. She-Ra's fame only lasted for a couple of years, and if you missed it back then, chances are you've never even heard of her. I was a big fan of He-Man when I was a kid, but I never knew of She-Ra until 20 years later.
    Interesting, when I was a kid they aired back to back so I always watched both. Then I lied to my friends about watching She-Ra because, ick, girl show, bwuh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Interesting, when I was a kid they aired back to back so I always watched both. Then I lied to my friends about watching She-Ra because, ick, girl show, bwuh.
    I watched it with my cousin Lori and told my friends that I watched it along with Rainbow Brite and G1 MLP. They all watched that shit as well, lol.

She-Ra was the better show of the two IMO.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If u want the source material then go read/watch the source material.

Not everyone wants a 1:1 adaptation and it can be a good movie and not be 1:1.
    if it's not 1:1, it might as well not even be named she-ra, warcraft, or whatever else. could slap any other name on it and it'd be just generic random movie and it'd fit.

if you want to make some random movie about a black heroine, do it. don't take an existing property and change the story, it's idiotic.

Weren't they foster or adopted and twins can be two different colors.
    King Randor fathered them both with queen Marlena. Unless they rewrite her character and their relationship, it'd be tough to explain the different race.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's hope it doesn't turn out like Jem :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

In other news....
    A movie is currently in production about Snarf, from Thundercats.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    "as well women of color to play She-Ra"
    Don't you know that unless they're white, it's totally not okay to change a character's (fictional or otherwise) race? For example, take the new Falcon in the MCU. Change him to a white guy and watch people lose their shit even though "color has nothing to do with the [new] character." You see, it's because only white characters have no "inherent culture or heritage." Or something. Especially if they're American, where the only Americans that have culture also have darker skin colors, which makes them one in the same.

It's exactly the same reason that only white people can be racist. And that only white men can be child molestors. And that only straight white men are the devil incarnate who deserve to have no rights and be spat upon constantly. None of that is racist or hate-filled. They're just facts, you see.

True story, man.

Just like I bet everyone who replies to this is going to assume I'm a single white male. Hint, I'm only one of those things.
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2017-06-18 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Positive discrimination is still discrimination, it's not positive for those who lose out. Affirmative action throws hard work and merit out the window, it pities the undeserving and denies the capable. Catering to the entitled makes you operate at self inflicted crippling capacities.
    Let's ignore for a moment your assumption that the groups which benefit from affirmative action are somehow inferior and couldn't possibly be as good at a job as the demographic that currently has high representation; why does your attitude not extend to actors? If the actor who best plays She-Ra doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes why do you think they should be passed over for a person with less suitable skills but pigmentation you prefer?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Soul View Post
    It was part of the problem, if they wanted a black johnny storm they should of went with a black sue also to keep them as true brother/sister and not destroy the lore. Then look at the actors, Johnny Storm who is supposed to be the youngest of them looks the oldest.
    If you think whether or not Sue was adopted is an important part of the lore you might be into super-hero comics for the wrong reasons. All the movies have made far more important changes from the original source material.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Nah. She was just lame knock off. He-man was always better and just way more fab. She-ra was pretender try harding the image of strong woman. He-man taught us that man can have hair like him and still stand pround. Also skeletor is by far the best. Noone even remembers the guy from she-ra.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/opinion
    Since you clearly don't understand the concept.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Let's ignore for a moment your assumption that the groups which benefit from affirmative action are somehow inferior and couldn't possibly be as good at a job as the demographic that currently has high representation; why does your attitude not extend to actors? If the actor who best plays She-Ra doesn't have blonde hair and blue eyes why do you think they should be passed over for a person with less suitable skills but pigmentation you prefer?
    For exactly the same reason Black Panther, Blade, and Bishop shouldn't be played by white guys, even if they're superior actors to anyone who answers the casting call. Ditto for Amadeus Cho or Zorro shouldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    Don't you know that unless they're white, it's totally not okay to change a character's (fictional or otherwise) race? For example, take the new Falcon in the MCU. Change him to a white guy and watch people lose their shit even though "color has nothing to do with the [new] character." You see, it's because only white characters have no "inherent culture or heritage." Or something. Especially if they're American, where the only Americans that have culture also have darker skin colors, which makes them one in the same.

It's exactly the same reason that only white people can be racist. And that only white men can be child molestors. And that only straight white men are the devil incarnate who deserve to have no rights and be spat upon constantly. None of that is racist or hate-filled. They're just facts, you see.

True story, man.

Just like I bet everyone who replies to this is going to assume I'm a single white male. Hint, I'm only one of those things.
    Imagine black panther as a white guy, or storm

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Netflix (UK) has about 60 episodes each of He-Man and She-Ra and I've watched them pretty recently. I have to agree with Dextersmith that She-Ra is a lot more interesting (both the character and the series,) her foes have more to do (most episodes of He-Man ignore Skeletor in favour of a random wizard or mysterious artefact,) and even the animation quality is a couple of notches higher. My biggest gripes with She-Ra are Catra (who's voice actor is great at what she does, but what she does is really annoying) and Loo-Kee (the little...thing that gives out the morals SJW conditioning at the end.)

Out of interest, how many people upset about the possibility of a non-white actress playing She-Ra also object to positive discrimination/affirmative action?
    Fun fact: The voice actress for She-Ra also did the following characters:

Adora
    Catra
    Castaspella
    Octavia
    Queen Hunga of the Harpies
    Koo the Bibbit
    Jewelstar
    Foosabella the Muckess (wife of High Muck Muck of Trolla)
    Kristala's Mother
    Old Lady (Castaspella in cursed form)
    Ariel (Castaspella's apprentice in the episode where she takes the book of spells)
    Shakra (Confidant and housekeeper for Adora while she was still in the Horde)
    Magicat Queen

You'd be surprised just how many different characters each of the main actors did, including Lou Scheimer himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    If u want the source material then go read/watch the source material.

Not everyone wants a 1:1 adaptation and it can be a good movie and not be 1:1.
    Given the source material has her as He-Man's sister, both are white, both parents are white, changing her race purely for the SWJ effect is beyond nutso. It isn't exactly kosher to bitch about someone white playing a non-white race based character and then say it's perfectly OK to change up the original material just for "diversity's sake".

This is a bad idea and it's going to probably be a shitty movie. Not because who they cast is black but because they are quick to cash in off the sweat of Wonder Woman cause it knocked it out of the park.

She Ra sucked because He-Man sucked in my opinion and She Ra was made in the first place because she's He Man with a vagina. It's just a crap idea cause it's crap which in turn will be a shitty movie. Kind of hope they don't make her a POC to spare whomever from this bad idea. Like Jem Movie
    She-Ra was made for two reasons. First and foremost was an increase in audience (female viewers). Second, and the more important one to Mattel, was an expanded toy line. That the second reason ended up being mostly a wash because of the timing of the show's cancellation is moot for this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Let's hope it doesn't turn out like Jem :P
    Uuuuuuuuuuugh. That movie's so bad it makes the cartoon look awesome. And that was pretty freaking hard to do even back in the 80s when Jem was actually popular. *shudder*

Quote Originally Posted by Leyre View Post
    Imagine black panther as a white guy, or storm
    both of those would make me rage hard.

for a while, i had heard that they were making black panther a woman in the movie, and i was livid. he's a king of an extremely wealthy african nation, he's a man. that's all there is to it.
    Last edited by derpkitteh; 2017-06-18 at 02:40 PM.