Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    A class being a DLC is different than content being DLC. DLC content in a multiplayer game isn't the best practice because it fragments the community making grouping more of an issue. Have you tried grouping for old content that doesn't grant rewards for current content?

Deleted
    Playable High Elf for Alliance DLC, to keep the numbers low.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Secondly, don't compare the two, still far different in setup.

As for Diablo 3, having the Necromancer as a payment character, while all the other stuff is free, sounds like a fair deal. I mean, they don't have any other income on D3 other than when you buy the game. The new storyline etc, all but the hero, is meant to be free.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    no it would not be DLC raids or patches
    your equivilent is horrible...
    comparing a new class to a patch, the patch is free ,but the class costs money

adding classes/races for DLC would make sense and wouldent be that bad as we allready have that as part of our expansions, drop expansion prices, add class/race DLC's not much would change

but no DLC raids/patches are not equal to a DLC class
    You two seem to missed the point, I wasn't comparing DLC class to DLC Raid/patches. I was wondering if Necro is just a beginning of Blizz making more and more DLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    How silly must one be to belive that
    #1 wow goes f2p - thats like a hooker telling her john she doesnt take the money
    #2 dlc patches/raids for money
    would ever come to wow?
    Your first argument is completely nonsense, because there are plenty of F2P games with P2W and people are making money from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    You're about a decade too late for that prediction...
    I'm wondering when we're going to have the peak of that era.

Third, if you go DLC with raids to be purchased, that would make an MMO be P2W. And, I doubt they wish to shoot themselves that hard in the foot. Already enough that people consider getting gold from other players to be P2W.
    Not really, but that's the point. We're paying sub, I don't really see a difference paying for raids(updates/patches) and paying for subs. You would still need to show skill/effort to get the gear, so it wouldn't strictly be P2W.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    You two seem to missed the point, I wasn't comparing DLC class to DLC Raid/patches. I was wondering if Necro is just a beginning of Blizz making more and more DLC.
    Nope, didn't miss the point. Hence I said you couldn't compare the two franchises.

Not really, but that's the point. We're paying sub, I don't really see a difference paying for raids(updates/patches) and paying for subs. You would still need to show skill/effort to get the gear, so it wouldn't strictly be P2W.
    If you offer DLC next to a subscription, then there's a bigger chance of someone not being able to afford the DLC, and it'll basically be paid content unlock, unlock of equipment (higher gear) that others don't have access to. Skill and effort doesn't mean much if people don't have the common playingfield behind a payment gate.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Would be nice, I don't want to pay for useless shit like PVP or World Quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

7+ Year Old Account

Your first argument is completely nonsense, because there are plenty of F2P games with P2W and people are making money from them.

I'm wondering when we're going to have the peak of that era.

arnt expansions dlc?
    have yo ualso been missing starcraft 2 doing DLC for a fuck long time now?
    skins
    announcers
    co-op commanders
    new campaigns
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Would be nice, I don't want to pay for useless shit like PVP or World Quests.
    That's one of the pros.

If you offer DLC next to a subscription, then there's a bigger chance of someone not being able to afford the DLC, and it'll basically be paid content unlock, unlock of equipment (higher gear) that others don't have access to. Skill and effort doesn't mean much if people don't have the common playingfield behind a payment gate.
    So people who wouldn't want to pay subscription would still play the game for their own reason they want other than raids(battle-pets, collection achievements, PvP).
    For people who, for example, only care about PvP it wouldn't make it P2W, because ilvl is scaled.

Let's go further - make DLC raids buyable with the WoW gold(just as the tokens are now).
    It's just hypothetical thing, but still nice to discuss about.

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    arnt expansions dlc?
    have yo ualso been missing starcraft 2 doing DLC for a fuck long time now?
    skins
    announcers
    co-op commanders
    new campaigns
    Unforutnately I don't care about StarCraft, only Warcraft and Diablo.

Expansions are just the older better versions of dlc content.

I can't fathom a way for them to make wow work with a pick and choose model and still retain the quality it has.

They make way more money in the current DLC model. A monthly DLC sub paid without having to deliver monthly and every couple years a AAA box cost.

so we got to pay for an expansion and subscription and also buy content in said patch? gtfo, that will not work, the sub numbers are already diminished as is.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I thought these expansions in a sense were our DLC equivalent. If they started dropping DLC's mid expansion, I'd cancel my sub and have absolutely no reason to return. The only time I would have actually considered it was back in 04' when I was severely addicted.
    Pretty much hit every point I was going to. If they did this they wouldnt have much left imho.

they wouldn't be able to just release a class pack alone without having a giant expansion behind it. Wow works the best the way it is now. Monthly fee and updates and then a one time expansion. Micro transactions would just ruin the game. Imagine going to a raid. Need 20 people. Your guild. Only 13 have bought that and that pack. Voila, you can't play together.

Moment they make paid patches and paid raids rather is the moment I quit for good.

Deleted
    It wouldn't work in wow, DLC usually kills multiplayer games, we already have a subscription and expansions so it would just kill wow.

As other have said, DLC have sense ONLY if they remove subscription/game time, and there wouldn't be any paid expansions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Deleted
    Now we see that the necromancer class is DLC in D3 there's no reason why wouldn't Blizz do that in WoW.
    Or WoW being F2P but with DLC patches/raids.

What do you think?

Personally I think that's one of the most stupid idea I've ever come with, but nowadays in almost every famous game there's a DLC. I fear that the game industry is going that way(more and more F2P and P2W games).
    There is a reason. It's called "subscription". You know, what WoW has and Diablo does not?

As for WoW going F2P... it could work out, but more commonly it would create an issue like this:
    Guildie 1: Hey, we're going to X raid today, who wants to come?
    Guildie 2: I wish, but can't, don't have the DLC for it.

Which is an annoying problem. It's a difference between doing it per expansion and having it per each raid/class etc.