• No.

249 67.30%
  • I really can't say.

65 17.57%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Just the fact that some people see all sorts of shadow beings during sleep paralysis, is proof enough for me, that it's peoples mind that conjures it all up. It's nothing real, just a figment of imagination.
    SP is so interesting. People have reported seeing very similar looking demons during it, if not identical. Perhaps there's just not much room left for imagination on what a demon looks like, or then you are in a different plane of existence where monsters rule!

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

On a more serious note, our brains are very easy to trick. What we do know is suggesting heavily that these phenomena really are just something that exists in our minds - our brains desperately trying to make sense of some information it received. I mean, just consider optical illusions, even though you are consciously aware that they are illusions your brain is still falling for them.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Snowdweller View Post
    Well I mean... You do, so...
    Except not. Your mind does not have the power to manifest your beliefs into reality.

Quote Originally Posted by egeszsegere View Post
    its too easy to say "no, because science!".
    there are many things that the brightest scientists cant explain.
    like the soul that is inside all living creatures. without a soul we would just be a skin bag filled blood, muscles and bones.
    what is the soul? where does it come from? why is it there? what happens to it when we die?

we cant say yes or no, to if ghosts exsist, because we simply dont know the answer for sure.
    i think you're confusing 'soul' with 'consciousness'. The former is just empty word salad, the latter is something that can be tested.

Deleted
    Im a very scientific person, and not religieous at all.

I do believe that I dont, and never will really know what happens to your soul. You can believe in the big bang, or that we wont return to this "plane of existance" but the question will always be "where were we before" or where does our conciousness come from.
    I think that were just not capable of comprehending the multitude of extra dimensions or whats "really" out there. Whats comes after quarks, and the likes?

So i do believe in the possibility of there beeing more than nothing after death.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is no magic or supernatural force in the universe.
    Then how did Derren Brown predict the lottery after it had happened? That guy is legit
    /s

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuja View Post
    SP is so interesting. People have reported seeing very similar looking demons during it, if not identical. Perhaps there's just not much room left for imagination on what a demon looks like, or then you are in a different plane of existence where monsters rule!
    I wonder what people like those living deep in the forests of Brazil or Africa who are largely cut off from industrialized societies and have not been exposed to the common imagery of demons would report seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Teraparte View Post
    I wonder what people like those living deep in the forests of Brazil or Africa who are largely cut off from industrialized societies and have not been exposed to the common imagery of demons would report seeing.
    Probably a scarier version of a familiar animal from their surroundings. A two headed snake and so on...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is no magic or supernatural force in the universe.
    Not with that attitude there isnt :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Where are the dinosaur ghosts!? And ghost cows, especially the ghost cows.

That's why I think of them as more along the lines of "memory fragments."

Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Imagine all those times when you thought you were masturbating in private you were actually always being watched by ghosts.
    And God. That pervert.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teraparte View Post
    It would still be similar, because demon's characteristics are aimed to explain the unknown. When you attach malevolence to the unknown, you will attach similar characteristics across the globe, because we share needs for survival. The evil force would then reflect the needs of those individuals, not being met. It will look similar to a violent or strange animal from the region and be hostile towards food, weather and anything else that might cause strife.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felnoire View Post
    Where are the dinosaur ghosts!? And ghost cows, especially the ghost cows.
    The concept of ghosts is rooted in self importance. We see our selfs as more valuable than other animals, thus we get something they don't. But, some religion or lore in areas does worship or have a place for animals. Usually tied to famine in early formation of the faith.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by egeszsegere View Post
    its too easy to say "no, because science!".
    there are many things that the brightest scientists cant explain.
    like the soul that is inside all living creatures. without a soul we would just be a skin bag filled blood, muscles and bones.
    what is the soul? where does it come from? why is it there? what happens to it when we die?

we cant say yes or no, to if ghosts exsist, because we simply dont know the answer for sure.
    How can something you don't know what it is, exist. If I tell you brondstigur is real, why would you believe me, if I also say I don't know what it is? What would be different than slamming my face against a keyboard, then saying what ever the result, is an entity naming it self through me?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Voted no, because human senses are catastrophically awful and physics is remarkably not awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    To me, that is all positive or negative energy manifested through humans, because that's how we react to it because that's how we imagine it. You never saw dog or cat being possessed by demons. It may seem like they are but they are aggressive or nice because of how energy impacts on them.
    Son of Sam blamed his dog's demon possession for his murder spree. He isn't unique in that either...

If we consider the energy idea. What is this energy if it does not have a conscience? Is it any different than the meat you leave behind?

As someone that's always been fascinated by all things supernatural in fiction (mainly because I find reality too damn boring), no, I don't believe they exist.

I do believe that our energy is released back into the universe after death, but not in a conscious state or in an ethereal being that resembles our former self kind of way.

I've also always struggled with the concept of reincarnation; Sometimes there's comfort in believing that it may be possible and that our soul/spirit/what have you carries on in some way (without memories or experience from any past incarnations of course), other times I'd rather believe that everything ends the moment our brain's functions cease to work and whatever is left simply becomes one with the universe rather than having to relive the same cycle over and over eternally.

Deleted
    ITT: Science vs. things that are made up

16% say yes? REALLY? I mean... what year is it? Last time I checked the middle ages are over.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I believe they are, yes.
    Based on what facts and evidence?
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I have no evidence.
    Ah, makes sense.