Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    I think the problem is you don't have the ingredients. This was kinda shocking as i tried to cook for the family i was staying with, but couldn't find "normal" cooking ingredients. Everything was already processed...
    That sounds horrible.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    US is 11 and UK is like 21 according to the WHO.
    Is there actually a reliable source because I googled and found 5 different numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    LOL eating pasta as a main course says enough about you.
    If the OP prefers quantity over quality, and to get obese along the way, that is his call.

Those 2 pasta dishes illustrate it - you can tell by just looking at them . The lower dish is prepared with care and using quality ingredients (personally I'd take the duck rarer) whereas the upper looks mass produced, using the most 'cost effective' ingredients available (meat rendering anyone?).

Fac sensatas optiones.

Deleted
    What kind of human can eat all the food on the first 2 plates? These are family portions...

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    If the portion size is true, it would be pretty lame they charge you the same amount.
    I suspect the comparison may well be accurate. It's just that the European reasturant will actually serve something more akin to the left hand plate, whereas American ones would require a serving dish to represent :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where does this idea that "all you can eat" buffets don't exist in Europe come from?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    It was called on the first page.
    Anyone familiar with Orlong's posts know well enough he'd never leave the US for any reason.
    Ive been to Mexico several times When I was in the Navy as well as Victoria British Columbia

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Naadir View Post
    What kind of human can eat all the food on the first 2 plates? These are family portions...
    5 fish sticks is a family portion???

The problem with food shows are they likely just visits fancy restaurants in europe where the portion sizes are smaller as the Family restaurants are not that interesting.

As for the prices, some of it can be explained by the quality of the produce and that tipping isn't mandatory in most european countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    @ Hubcap

Exept for bigger families europeans normally shop food for a maximum of two or three days, so that fridge in your pic would be a waste of money to begin with.

@ Topic

As for the portion sizes it depends in which place you are eating. Like someone mentioned before, what for you US guys is a restaurant, here its what you call a fancy restaurant. We do have places like Five Guys were the portions are bigger than your average Male Head and all you can eat buffets do exist, just not all the time. The places who do all you can eat buffets do them on a once per week basis and a lot of chinese restaurant have it daily for lunch.

Heres a typical Restaurants ( not a fancy one ) Menu in Vienna for Reference.

http://www.puerstner.com/speisenauswahl/

I think the middle plate is more like european, i have never seen a place put out so little food as the last plate , looks like food for a child.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Americans enjoy large portion sizes at affordable prices. Expensive prices for tiny portions is not enjoyable. I guess people in europe just have extra money to throw away.
    American food in those type restaurant is cattle feed compared to the quality of the ordinary chain in the EU.

Now there is good restaurant in the USD, but you have to pay the right price, or know the right people =D.

Deleted
    I do not believe that picture is accurate. In neither the American Resturaunt or American Home is the gallon of Soda they slurp down. Also the food is served on plates. instead of a feeding Troth. Also since when can Americans use Cutlery?

The right most picture must have been taken in the UK. They have strict knife laws because they stab everything.
    Last edited by mmocaa0d295f44; 2017-06-18 at 01:13 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    fucked up photo, but then again, you muricans could use smaller plates.

Also, want to see some concrete evidence? visit hungary, the plates there at resturants are massive.

LOL eating pasta as a main course says enough about you.
    ???????
    I live in Sweden, and we have several restaurants where pasta is the main course. What's the problem with that?
    I know that in Italy it tends to be a starter meal and not as hearty, but I have literally never seen that anywhere else.

Sweden, Denmark, Germany, England, US, Spain, France and all other countries I've been to, 99.9% of the times the pasta courses are made with the intention to be the main course.

Cook yourself if you are low on money. The portion on the right is just right. The one on the left will make you fat if you eat that much on a regular basis.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Ive been to Mexico several times When I was in the Navy as well as Victoria British Columbia

- - - Updated - - -

5 fish sticks is a family portion???
    You see in the past we had jokes about Stupid Americans, they were funny and stuff, right now the only thing you need for people to laugh is to say one word ... America.... and if you want them to roll on the flore you can ad SJW or Feminism

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    ???????
    I live in Sweden, and we have several restaurants where pasta is the main course. What's the problem with that?
    I know that in Italy it tends to be a starter meal and not as hearty, but I have literally never seen that anywhere else.

Sweden, Denmark, Germany, England, US, Spain, France and all other countries I've been to, 99.9% of the times the pasta courses are made with the intention to be the main course.
    My point was that Americans often only eat one plate at a "restaurant". If I eat one plate somewhere it's a diner. A restaurant is a place where you spend at least two hours in. Not waiting on food but enjoying multiple courses and drinks.

If that works for you, fine. I avoid "Italian" restaurants like that. Pasta should be secondi. If I see they serve it as main dish I don't even bother to go in. Main should be saltimbocca, Ossobucco or a nice piece of vitello for example.

All those countries you mentioned should have decent Italian restaurants in stead of those Italo-American style places. Italian cuisine offers way more then pizza and pasta.
    Last edited by MCMLXXXII; 2017-06-18 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Restaurants in the EU should be mandated to be all you can eat and drink like so many American restaurants? So many Americans starve when they visit European countries due to their minuscule portion sizes, and yet the European restaurants have the gall to charge the same or more as an American restaurant with actual portions. You will never go to an American restaurant and leave hungry (usually you need to take some home), yet millions of tourists go hungry after eating their meals in a European restaurant. For those of you who have never seen a typical European restaurant serving, here is a visual comparison:

I just cant believe how much European restaurants rip you off. Just within 20 miles of my home I have 12 all you can eat buffets even though some suck (Old Country Buffet, Fire Mountain, Golden Corral, Infinitos), but I also have 2 Amazing Amish buffets (Miller's Smorgasbord http://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/ , Shady Maple Smorgasbord http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord), 3 all you can Hibachi restaurants, an all you can eat Mexican food.

Nobody should ever leave a restaurant hungry nor should they have to order 2 or 3 meals to get rid of hunger pangs and loosen their belt
    The fuck are you smoking? In Finland about every lunch place has "eat as much as you want" buffet and a shitloads of other places doing that through the clock.

Oh, Orlong, I get it now.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

That pic in the OP seems to be closely related to another picture that shows the main difference between the US and Europe.

It was about woman asses.

My point was that Americans often only eat one plate at a "restaurant". If I eat one plate somewhere it's a diner. A restaurant is a place where you spend at least two hours in. Not waiting on food but enjoying multiple courses and drinks.
    Americans (not all, most) tend to want their own plate, also, not share with other people they're out with. Stupid, imo; best to eat family style. You order the chicken, I'll order the fish, and we can both try each, etc.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.