Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Yes, we do.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't. I know it's bad, but I rationalize it this way: People are always going to be throwing away batteries because it is much more convenient than recycling them. I then say it is my governments responsibility to form a sustainable environmental policy that requires either that batteries are made eco-friendly or offers some way to dispose of batteries conveniently, since the convenient route is the only method that you can reasonably expect people to adhere to en masse.
    Last edited by Helgrimm; 2017-06-18 at 12:43 PM.

If you throw them out, then they go to a lndfill where they corrode and the heavy metal crap contaminates the soil and water. If they get incinerated then the heavy metals go into the air we breath..

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If you throw them out, then they go to a lndfill where they corrode and the heavy metal crap contaminates the soil and water.
    The metals in alkaline cells are zinc and manganese, both of which are necessary nutrients.

I am reminded of a proposed EPA regulation regarding zinc from some years back. Someone pointed out that under the proposed regulation, zinc dietary supplements would be classified as hazardous waste. You could eat them, but you couldn't throw them in the trash. The proposed regulation was withdrawn.
    Last edited by Osmeric; 2017-06-18 at 01:36 PM.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Of course, and why not? Not that I'm using a lot of batteries anymore anyway but just collect empty batteries in a small box and bring them back to wherever that is in your country once a year. What's the matter? We've got specific trash bins for batteries at supermarkets, containers for recycling (paper, glass, ...) that stand in pretty much any town or village and recycling companies which have to accept certain trash like old electronic devices or dangerous goods for free / low-cost.

(Germany)
    Last edited by chooi; 2017-06-18 at 01:36 PM.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

Those cells are very dangerous to the natural environment when just left alone.
    Throwing it to the bin is very disrepsectful to our environment, that produced us.
    So that is why I recycle them.

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Of course, and why not?
    Because the cost of recycling them exceeds the benefit?

Recycling has too often been elevated to the status of some sort of quasi-religious ritual, to be done to demonstrate fidelity to an ideal, not because it actually makes sense.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler

PS: That question is like asking "Do you REALLY clean up your mess after having that sick beach party?"
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

Deleted
    Yeah, the supermarket I usually go to has a box for them, so it's very little additional effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Because the cost of recycling them exceeds the benefit?

Recycling has too often been elevated to the status of some sort of quasi-religious ritual, to be done to demonstrate fidelity to an ideal, not because it actually makes sense.
    Because protecting our environment and everyone living in it is more important than profits of the few? Would you say the same for nuclear waste?

My point wasn't about recycling. It's about safe disposal of hazardous goods. They can do whatever they want with that batteries as long as they don't pollute air or fresh water. If recycling that stuff isn't profitable, so be it. At least store it away safely.
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

Deleted
    Ofc we do. You'd be crazy not to. There is enough destruction to the environment caused by Trumps politics that we, the people, have to take care of the Earth by ourselves.

Gosh I really sound like some crazy green-guy, which I am not, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Because protecting our environment and everyone living in it is more important than profits of the few?
    Profits of the few? The cost of recycling is imposed on everyone, not just "the few".

I don't know about you, but the hours of my life are finite and rapidly depleting. If there's a law that insists I sacrifice some of them for something, there better be a good reason for it.

It's really not hard to do here, you literally just put them on top of the garbage bin when you roll it out to the street for collection, so yes, we do recycle them.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

Profits of the few? The cost of recycling is imposed on everyone, not just "the few". I don't know about you, but the hours of my life are finite and rapidly depleting. If there's a law that insists I sacrifice some of them for something, there better be a good reason for it.
    The words of a self-involved teenager...or someone that doesn't care about having children.

Profits of the few? The cost of recycling is imposed on everyone, not just "the few".

I don't know about you, but the hours of my life are finite and rapidly depleting. If there's a law that insists I sacrifice some of them for something, there better be a good reason for it.
    I don't understand the problem. Again, forget about recycling for the moment which is a possible next step.

What exactly is your problem in bringing old batteries to the appropriate places so they can be rid of safely without polluting environment? Why would you want to throw away dangerous stuff like batteries, oil, cooling liquid and other hazardous stuff in the standard trash when there are special places for that type of trash for a good reason?
    #MakeBlizzardGreatAgain

10+ Year Old Account

You spend HOURS of your life in order to recycle?
    If so, you're doing it wrong.

In Germany we separate: Paper / Plastic / Glas / Rest (Some do bio stuff too, I don't).
    Granted, glass takes a minute or two to get rid off, the rest is basically instantaneous if you have 3 bags o' trash.

Yes recycling often takes a lot of energy and is not necessarily profitable. If that means that toxic stuff doesn't get into the wild or that we can cut down on the use of limited resources of our planet, IMHO it's worth it in the long run. Esp once we finally manage to get clean energy.

Yep I do, keep them in some place in my home until I'm arsed to take them to the recycling place. Trying to do the same for glass, metals, most of plastics, paper etc. Trying to do my best, but then there's places like China where.. well.. stuff happens.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yirrah View Post
    Of course? Why the hell would anybody be stupid enough to screw over generations to come because they can't be arsed to put their trash into separate containers?
    Baby Boomers?
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

7+ Year Old Account
    I recycle mine.

We have special trash bins for batteries near my house, so it isn't a hassle at all.