10+ Year Old Account

Atari Making New Game Console

http://mashable.com/2017/06/16/atari...k#At2CjWjPmqqg

Not sure how well this is going to end up in an already overcrowded market. Best luck to them.

All hail the Jaguar lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making a new console is crazy. They should do a retro console like the NES classic.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Making a new console is crazy. They should do a retro console like the NES classic.
    Its most likely what the machine is going to be but it would be funny as fuck if it has anything to do with that failed Coleco Chameleon that reused the Atari Jaguar plastic mold for the console and cartridge designs.
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You mean like the Flashback systems?
    Thats exactly what I mean.

Market it right and it should be able to sell fairly well.

T

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    A legit console? I hope they do. Could use more competition since its mainly just Sony and Microsoft with Nintendo off in a corner doing its own thing.

Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ehhh let me know when Sega makes a new console.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a market where 1st party titles dictate which console you usually buy, what could they possibly bring in terms of 1st party?
    "when i'm around you i'm like a level 5 metapod. all i can do is harden!"

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    The people who cry for censorship aren't going to be buying the game anyway. Censoring it, is going to piss off the people who were going to buy it.
    Barret: It's a good thing we had those Phoenix Downs.
    Cloud: You have the downs!

It will be a retro remake thing, they don't have the money to be able to compete in the main console war. Their last successful console was like what 30-40 years ago?
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade Wolf View Post
    In a market where 1st party titles dictate which console you usually buy, what could they possibly bring in terms of 1st party?
    Nothing, and as a PC user, I do not care about consoles anyway.. what am I doing in this thread ? Weird stuff... I guess they still own a lot of arcade IP's?

I would like a home console that emulates all their classic arcade library. I would pay a couple bucks for that easy peezy.

As someone who owned a Jaguar...

nope.

Given the name and the wood-grain picture, 98% guaranteed to be a retro gaming box. Only question to me would be if it will go as far as Jaguar or stop with the 7800 games. With movies like Guardians making 70s/80s retro a fad atm, it would probably sell moderately well.

No way will they look to compete in the next-gen market given the costs involved these days. When you add up everything, I don't even think MS has turned a profit on the Xbox division despite their success in the last gen, for example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Making a new console is crazy.
    Adding competition isn't crazy. What would be crazier than having only three main rivals would be to have two main rivals. What would ruin everything would be to just have one.

The reason Windows sucks so incredibly much is because there's no true, proper PC OS rival for it. Linux is like 1-2% of the market share. That's not rivaling anything.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Adding competition isn't crazy. What would be crazier than having only three main rivals would be to have two main rivals. What would ruin everything would be to just have one.

The reason Windows sucks so incredibly much is because there's no true, proper PC OS rival for it. Linux is like 1-2% of the market share. That's not rivaling anything.
    It's crazy to do it now, the industry moves in the billions and Atari is tiny in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    It's crazy to do it now, the industry moves in the billions and Atari is tiny in comparison.
    Imagine if Sony had maintained that attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

I wish them the best, but I honestly don't see how this ends up being successful and profitable for Atari. As others have said, the market is pretty crowded with the three primary players and pc as well, all of whom have exclusive titles. Does Atari even still have ownership of any of its original game licenses? And, come to think of it, I think of things like Pacman as Atari products when they likely aren't at all. What are they bringing back, Custer's Revenge? (I'd play that)

They'd pretty much have to take Microsoft's original mindset, which was to take a loss on console hardware while thinking big picture/longterm. It worked for Microsoft because their company is worth more money than god, but somehow I don't think Atari has the kind of deep pockets necessary to take a hit like that. Nintendo gets away with lower-end hardware than Sony and MS because they have popular titles/franchises and creative variations on hardware. (Wii joysticks, etc.) Does Atari really have something that cool that no one else has come up with yet? I'm skeptical.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing what they have in store. I just ordered a new computer and am still running a PS3/Xbox 360 so it'd take a really impressive showing to get me to spend money on an Atari console rather than a PS4 when FFVII reboot drops, which I've been waiting for for about two decades. =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Imagine if Sony had maintained that attitude.
    Not exactly the same, what backing does Atari have to fund that sort of endeavour? Last time I checked they were filing for bankruptcy