Thread: Wowhead.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    adblock sold out along time ago, and its white listing ads that pay them, ublock origin is a must these days.

adblock isnt even the same guy that made it anymore, its some corporation.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had issues with WoWhead too, but mainly since every time I visit the website it crashes my WoW.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

Wowhead is horrific for so long now.

Its faster to fucking google the quest name, click on the link in google and then be directed to the wowhead page, than search the term on wowhead...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Install AdBlock + NoScritp

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Its faster to fucking google the quest name, click on the link in google and then be directed to the wowhead page, than search the term on wowhead...
    But isn't this exactly how every site works these days? How often do you use the forum search thingy ^ up there? I just google it and get redirected here.

some of the legitimate scripting wowhead does seems to be resource-intensive also; the little flyout tables of contents they use seem to cause delays, as does the calendar app on the main page. Fortunately you can also use ublock to stop both of those things from loading (this improved the site's performance noticeably, in my experience.)

you can also avoid some performance issues by not loading the front page of wowhead at all; searching the site using google (or chrome navbar search) will almost always return whatever page you're looking for, and let you bypass all the junk on their front page

The site is absolutely horrible to browse now with adds literally fucking everywhere. I've tried many different adblockers, but none work. Currently using this "UBlock Origin" but its the same thing, no ads are actually blocked. Can't use the site until this is resolved.

As with too many sites, trying to fight adblock instead of fixing the real problem.
    Not that there are ads, but the nature of them.

People arguing we are the bad guys are simply stupid.
    Look at how even google is getting involved with a set of "standards" for advertisements.
    If they can actually be what they claim, and not bought off- then that should speak volumes.
    Though plenty of things which should have done that already have fallen on deaf ears.
    An idiot won't be convinced by facts or logic.
    Last edited by ComputerNerd; 2017-06-18 at 10:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    What's going on with this website? You can see my computer's specs in my signature, so you should be able to tell that having a wowhead tab open in Chrome shouldn't be an issue. So, why IS it an issue? Why do they run so many scripts? I remember when wowhead was pretty light, relatively speaking, why is it so out of control that its specific tab will actually crash because "Google Chrome has run out of memory trying to display this page."

Like, please tell me there's an alternative to wowhead. Thottbot is long gone/not updated, is there anything else? Loading their pages also shouldn't take so damned long.
    Same reason this site bombards your comp with crap. Because they are greedy and people keep using it anyway however contemptuous they are of their audience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wowhead is trying to blackmail players into making it harder for player base to just the site for information if the player base doesn't pay the sub fee's they want......even though 99.9% of the information up there for quests and what not, came from the player base free of charge....the player base never charged Wowhead for information they found....the player base was happy to help out fellow players but Wowhead decided to blackmail us now....all they care about is $$. Even some of the white Knights of Wowhead have said either pay up or screw you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh. I use Ghostery and only that. Wowhead leads in about 1 second.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseD View Post
    Wowhead is trying to blackmail players into making it harder for player base to just the site for information if the player base doesn't pay the sub fee's they want......even though 99.9% of the information up there for quests and what not, came from the player base free of charge....the player base never charged Wowhead for information they found....the player base was happy to help out fellow players but Wowhead decided to blackmail us now....all they care about is $$. Even some of the white Knights of Wowhead have said either pay up or screw you.
    You're a bit "special" aren't you? I assume you expect free Twitch subs as well because you give MMOC these informational posts? Come on now.

Wowhead is free to make money the way they see fit. It's a commercial site. Just like this one is.
    WowDB is fully functional alternative, so you could stop using Wowhead right now, if you wanted to. But you're not going to. Because you think everything should be free (for you) and everyone else on the Internet should serve your needs. That's not how anything works.

There are alternatives. Stop using wowhead if you don't like the site.
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2017-06-19 at 04:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swordfish Trombone View Post
    You're a bit "special" aren't you? I assume you expect free Twitch subs as well because you give MMOC these informational posts? Come on now.

Wowhead is free to make money the way they see fit. It's a commercial site. Just like this one is.
    WowDB is fully functional alternative, so you could stop using Wowhead right now, if you wanted to. But you're not going to. Because you think everything should be free (for you) and everyone else on the Internet should serve your needs. That's not how anything works.

There are alternatives. Stop using wowhead if you don't like the site.
    Or you can use ublock and relish in no longer being a part of what makes them money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Magicpot View Post
    Or you can use ublock and relish in no longer being a part of what makes them money.
    Sure. Or uMatrix if you want to have full control. Or you can buy their sub.
    Whatever works for you.
    The main thing being - you, the consumer have the power in this case.

Of course choosing to stay in the ad-riddled Internet complaining how much it sucks is your choice as well. But it's not a particularly good one.
    Last edited by mmoc0e47cbaaf5; 2017-06-19 at 09:10 AM.

Deleted
    Funny that you're posting here and and asking for alternatives. The MMOC DB is here: http://www.wowdb.com/
    A DB without user comments is pointless...

Also using uBlock Origin, have not experienced any problems at all with WoWhead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Deleted
    You're a bit "special" aren't you?
    found the white knight....
    I assume you expect free Twitch subs as well because you give MMOC these informational posts? Come on now.
    Still hes right.

WowDB is fully functional alternative, so you could stop using Wowhead right now, if you wanted to.
    You know what you wrote there is BULLSHIT. The strength and usefullness of wowhead lies in the USER COMMENTS.
    Delete them and wowhead would be dead tomorrow (thats why noone uses Wowdb).
    When you go to wowhead its because of the user comments plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Or have both. Still loads in a second for me as well.
    I tried using both a while ago, and both wowhead and mmo-champs almost crashed my computer almost every time. I'd watch firefox go from not responding to fine and back half a dozen times over ~10 seconds before the site stabilized and I could use anything.

Deleted
    Wowhead is a great site that I use a lot. I wouldn't use it without Ublock though.

Same as this site really

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Did you try a different browser? I've heard Firefox is incredibly heavy comparatively to other browsers.
    I've thought about switching to Chrome a few times, I only really use it for Google-drive related projects, but I don't know how to transfer the ~100 tabs spread across 3 windows I use for my work over to it.