Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tried afew tricks with these things when my nieces came over with theirs, but found no enjoyment in these things.

My husband and I were walking through Walmart the other day, and tried one out of curiosity. We're both pretty anxious, and need something to do with our hands. I got bored rather quickly, it didn't do anything for me. Didn't do anything for him either. I prefer stress balls, or bringing my DS with me. Bending paperclips helps, too. I've also been known to take pens apart. I used pipe cleaners for a while, too!

My husband's a pen clicker, bending crap, or general fidgeting. He can't wait in line either. He's also a pacer (back and forth, back and forth. Drives me insane.) But yeah, I don't understand why these things are so popular :/ It's just a ball bearing... a small fan without a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    He's also a pacer (back and forth, back and forth. Drives me insane.) But yeah, I don't understand why these things are so popular :/ It's just a ball bearing... a small fan without a motor.
    Whenever some celebrity starts picking up whatever they can find and praises it as the new bacon the vocal "public" will do whatever it takes to get the same as the celebrities. It's never really about the product, it's about who uses and praises it.

on a side note: let your hubbie walk on tiles that turn his motion into electric energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Snip
    You're way late on these, the company I work for in summer was late to cash in on this by about 3 weeks, but we've been buying in thousands, mostly fakes, but we sell them 2 for 5quid on the basic one then 8, 10, 12 and 20 quid for some of them. Some are like that one in the video, some are captain america shield shaped, combat knife shaped, wheel shaped everything,

Put it this way, we're late on the band wagon, but one of our shops at this time of the year takes 1000-2000GBP, This year some days we're topping 4000 gbp, we breakdown the days taking and it usually comes in around 800-1000 on normal stock (toy shop btw) then the rest on spinners, it's insane. We're getting to the end of the day and spending about 5 minutes restocking instead of a hour and a half.

Statiscally, a million spinner have been sold every day in the UK since launch for nearly 4 weeks - I'm not sure if that includes this week gone by or not as I'm on holiday. But the kids are going nuts for them. I hate the fucking things but even I have one spinning in my hand when I work.

A fun thing though, (only do this if you're a fucking idiot), we got a Captain america one, slighty sharpened one edge, I mean, literally took a blunt pen knife and the ran it up and down on bit, we then got a air compressor, aimed it the spinner and hey presto, we had a circular saw cutting through everything xD

I will say this, it's better than last years loomband fad, that we were really late to and we have hundreds of thousands of bags and boxes of them in our storage area. We were selling a box of them at 25 quid like hot cakes, we can't even get 4 quid for them now, the same will happen to these fidgets and something new will happen next year

Deleted
    I am 36 years old, what would I do with a kids toy ? I take most people who play wow are twenties and up.. weird question

whenever something that is actualy useful to a certain subset of the population suddenly becomes a fad... usually it ends up doing more harm then good for people for whom it was actualy genuinely useful. to the point where fidget toys that helped people focus are being banned as distractions.. which is the opposite of their original purpose.

that said personaly, I just fidget with my wedding ring, it helps to keep my hands occupied, is quiet, so it doesn't bother anyone else, is unlikely to be banned in public and doesn't have all the extra bells and whistles that would make me lose my focus instead of helping me keep it. if I didn't have a wedding ring, most likely ring type fidget device is what I would go for. like this https://www.stimtastic.co/stim-jewel...y-spinner-ring (mainly because sometimes it gets annoying on my skin when I spin the ring, so this would allow for the same motion without rubbing against the skin) or this https://www.stimtastic.co/stim-jewel...d-spinner-ring (it actualy looks super similar to my actual wedding ring :P )

Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    I am 36 years old, what would I do with a kids toy ? I take most people who play wow are twenties and up.. weird question
    Literally what your grandparents said about video games.

But it's not a kids toy?
    I can slap on a "kids toy" sticker on a knife, that still doesn't make it a kids toy.

10+ Year Old Account
    So much negativity on this forum, jesus. It's a $5 toy, either you enjoy the novelty or not. Don't have to shit on people who actually get something from it, don't have to call them hipsters or idiots...

That being said, I bought one to see what the hype was about. It's fun, like to spin it when playing Hearthstone or watching TV. Not going to change your life or anything

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanablossom View Post
    But it's not a kids toy?
    I can slap on a "kids toy" sticker on a knife, that still doesn't make it a kids toy.
    If it is not a kids toy, then why do I see kids playing with them all the time... never seen one adult with one.. maybe it is different in other countries?

I mean, back when I was a kid, flippo's where the big thing... didn't see any adult collecting these either..

Adults are a little more capable of not falling into commercial hypes. We don't feel the group pressure as much. And as we actually have to earn our own money, we usually don't waste it on things that don't do anything..
    Last edited by mmoc1ca4e98b3e; 2017-06-19 at 08:10 AM.

If it is not a kids toy, then why do I see kids playing with them all the time... never seen one adult with one.. maybe it is different in other countries?
    Parents just give in and buy it for them - because they too think that oh because it is so hypey that it must be a great toy for kids.

It can be a tool for those that struggle with forms of focus related issues so it's hardly a wasteful product.
    But like with almost any product, the problems usually lie with the public and not the product itself.
    Last edited by Mifuyne; 2017-06-19 at 08:19 AM.

A little vegemite swallowed part of a fidget spinner in Australia

So be wary that some kids may take them apart and put them in their mouths

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/hea...7c5bf357b6def7

I wish I never bought them’: Mum’s warning after son swallowed fidget spinner part.

I must remember not to post stupid stuff when very drunk.

Deleted
    Parents just give in and buy it for them - because they too think that oh because it is so hypey that it must be a great toy for kids.

It can be a tool for those that struggle with forms of focus related issues so it's hardly a wasteful product.
    But like with almost any product, the problems usually lie with the public and not the product itself.
    Potential ? The potential is millions of easy cash for those who make the things... it is just one of those "isn't it great" junk items that will fade away soon enough, forgotten in time like so many obsolete products before it... just like the flippo, it is a product for kids, who are sheeped into buying one (or letting their parents buy one).. though with flippo's you at least had a reason to stuff yourself with bags and bags of chips...

Not a new fad. Stupid little things that spin have been in baby chairs for hundreds of years.

It's a toy for kids today like we had slinky, jojo etc. All relatively braindead and useless, except for the jojo maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

But it's not a kids toy?
    Be honest here. It is a kids toy. Was made to be a kids toy. Just like how MLP is a kids show for girls etc. It doesn't STOP adults to collect one for themselves, but that does not NOT make it a kids toy. It still is.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    I say bring back the Yo-yo as well.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think WTF as well.

- - - Updated - - -

That's interesting as well. Lots of "as wells". I call it "faggot spinner" btw. No hate.
    A cigarette spinner?