Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I went to a private university followed by private grad school. I didn't really understand what I got myself into with those loans. Huge mistake. I'm saving as much as I can but it will take ages to have a positive net worth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Contributing to 401k.
    Assuming I'll not be able to get social security (or it will be 70+).

Goal is to have 1m+ in bank, and use both mine and my wife's 401k funds

Edit: only debts we have are our home, my car, and 2500 on my CC. Oh, and kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratt View Post
    I went to a private university followed by private grad school. I didn't really understand what I got myself into with those loans. Huge mistake. I'm saving as much as I can but it will take ages to have a positive net worth.
    How old do you think you'll be before a positive net worth? Society is aging so more and more people are working in the elderly years...so there's that.

I want to be out by the time I'm 65 and maybe do some consulting or something chill.

10+ Year Old Account

Well the bright side is you have a cup of coffee they can't take that away from you.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Not alot of prospects or money?

- - - Updated - - -

You an investment banker?
    Financial analyst....of course that is in the insurance industry.... :P

Not bad, I've been maxing both a 401k and Roth IRA since I was 20. I average around 15% on my Roth, I play the 401k safer.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Been doing great. Got to retire at the young age of 53 and i was able to afford to because of decades of planning for it. I quit a good paying job in order to take a job which offered less pay, but a far better retirement system. I paid my home off early before I retired and was willing to adjust my life style some in order to not have any financial problems. Been great.
    Just remember, make your decisions while you are young and have plenty of time to prepare for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    401k and railroad retirement
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    I'm gona marry someone rich and live off them,

failing that move to canada and live at tenns place

Almost nobody really ends up living the marrying a rich person and living off them dream. Let's be real.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    How old do you think you'll be before a positive net worth? Society is aging so more and more people are working in the elderly years...so there's that.

I want to be out by the time I'm 65 and maybe do some consulting or something chill.
    I'll probably be around 40, but who knows.

Going as planned.

5% on 401k with match.

Current plan is as follows; putting all extra budget surplus into a fund for a down payment on a house. That'll be done in June 2018.

After that, it depends on the interest rate of my student loans. Pay down student loans if the interest is greater than 5%, otherwise I have a personal investment account where 80% of funds track the S&P(SPY) and 20% on personal speculation.

My calculations assume that I'll pay down loans; I wont start contributing to the personal account until I'm 29-30(currently 26). If everything goes as planned, I'll have ~$1.7 million when I'm 60 with 30k coming from passive investments per year.

The calculations are fairly conservative, with a return rate at inflation (3%) and dividend rate of 1.87%
    Last edited by usiris; 2017-06-18 at 11:37 PM.

I'm 26 no debt, own house, and truck. Then put 20% of my income away. Hoping to retire at 50.

I planned to be dead by now, so not really.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post
    Going as planned.

5% on 401k with match.

Current plan is as follows; putting all extra budget surplus into a fund for a down payment on a house. That'll be done in June 2018.

After that, it depends on the interest rate of my student loans. Pay down student loans if the interest is greater than 5%, otherwise I have a personal investment account where 80% of funds track the S&P(SPY) and 20% on personal speculation.

My calculations assume that I'll pay down loans; I wont start contributing to the personal account until I'm 29-30(currently 26). If everything goes as planned, I'll have ~$1.7 million when I'm 60 with 30k coming from passive investments per year.

The calculations are fairly conservative, with a return rate at inflation (3%) and dividend rate of 1.87%
    1.7 mil in investments including your house?

Quote Originally Posted by Mall Security View Post
    Well the bright side is you have a cup of coffee they can't take that away from you.
    Funny you should mention that. My office just downgraded their coffee to save a few dollars so they literally took my coffee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny you should mention that. My office just downgraded their coffee to save a few dollars so they literally took my coffee.
    Damn : ( thought you could start with small comforts and build.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

1.7 mil in investments including your house?
    Nope, 1.7 is the combine total of the investment account/401k. Not calculating net worth. I'd link the google doc, but it has personal info in it.

Almost nobody really ends up living the marrying a rich person and living off them dream. Let's be real.
    But I have a great body and I only need to be married at least 2 years then I get half

401k is a joke, I would never contribute to a retirement plan I have no direct control over of which stock is being purchased. The stock market crash several years ago destroyed the 401k accounts of several people I know, and none of them to this day have recovered to where they were before the crash.

Pay the money and get an investment advisor/broker.

I own stock and gold and have a substantial retirement account already. It cost me money sure, but it is totally worth it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Haha /10char