Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Val'kyr were only designed to retrieve fallen vrykul from the Shadowlands. This is something made evident in Silverpine Forest, from the use of strictly non-human troops in Pyrewood Village to the offering of the worgen curse to Hillsbrad refugees, although it's directly contradicted by gameplay mechanics like val'kyr raising death knights that die in their starting area. Presumably, their pact with Sylvanas was the only way to bring her back, and involves taking her place to do so.

I agree that Blizzard has been vague on the deaths of Arthas and Syvlanas, however. They seem to suffer a worse fate than should be normal, but outside of one short story we're told nothing.
    Well you say it's worse than normal, but afaik they're the only ones we've actually seen die. Our experience of shadowlands in-game is fairly limited and we aren't stuck there because gameplay.
    But why would they have to take her place? Why should such a pact have to be made? Are you suggesting it's lack of Vrykul descent? If so, why would such a system exist?
    "Val'kyr, you can resurrect Vrykul, but if there's a non-vrykul soul there, you can take its place to bring it back if you want to I guess."
    What's their motive?

Quote Originally Posted by Ckaelir View Post
    Ah, I thought it was a playable quest, how unfortunate. :P

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely give it a read. But since it's a short story, it's non-canon I guess; we may not be able to connect it to current lore.
    The story has evolved through the Chronicles, and as you said, Void Lords were not even mentioned back then.
    Short stories and books are considered to be canon. It is canon but it wasn't the void. The "hell" visited is definitely part of the shadowlands or something akin to it. It isn't the void.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSaggins View Post
    Fair enough regarding the Shadowlands. There certainly isn't enough evidence to verify my theory, but I'm not seeing enough to squash it either. As for Blizzard doing a "poor job of communicating" that Sylvanas/Arthas' Hell was the void, I beg to differ ^_^:

I immediately associated the line "nothing so terrible could exist in the world of the living" with the Void Lords, who can't manifest in the physical realm without an immense source of power ^_^
    It's entirely possible, but it's telling that Chronicle described Shadowlands as the realm of the dead, but gave no indication of the Void having any such links, as far as I remember.
    It is possible that Arthas ended up om the Void due to the lingering presence of Yogg Saron, self-proclaimed God of Death. I'm still inclined to think that the forces of Death return to its own realm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Gremlin View Post
    Jeeeeeeesuuuuuuuus chriiiiiiiiiiist. When are people gonna shut up about this.
    Arthas is long gone, he is dead. Get this in your head:

His-Story-Is-Over
    It ended with the best expansion we've ever had / ever will have for this game.
    It was a fitting end.
    So was Illidan's and look how that turned out.

It is unclear in the text of Sylvanas' leader story whether the vision she had of Arthas in torment in the afterlife was actually him or just an illusion to demonstrate the futility of her crusade of vengeance and the horrors that await her in the next world.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    So was Illidan's and look how that turned out.
    Yeah but Illidan's death was a nadir in Warcraft's lore, whereas Arthas' was a zenith.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Well you say it's worse than normal, but afaik they're the only ones we've actually seen die. Our experience of shadowlands in-game is fairly limited and we aren't stuck there because gameplay.
    But why would they have to take her place? Why should such a pact have to be made? Are you suggesting it's lack of Vrykul descent? If so, why would such a system exist?
    "Val'kyr, you can resurrect Vrykul, but if there's a non-vrykul soul there, you can take its place to bring it back if you want to I guess."
    What's their motive?
    Legion gave us their origin as Odyn's creation. They are born from vrykul and deal exclusively in vrykul (and humans as a result of heritage). I couldn't tell you why they have such a limitation other than speculation, but it was one that was enforced at least in Cataclysm with enough contradictions since to make it somewhat dubious. Their motive with Sylvanas was finding a new vessel such that they could be free from the Lich King.

"Worse than normal" was just my opinion that I wouldn't think -everyone- who dies in Warcraft is subjected to eternal torment.
    Last edited by StationaryHawk; 2017-06-19 at 04:13 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arthas is in the shadowlands not the void,(until retcon) garrosh I can see him being dragged into the void since he did have a large chunk of old God grafted into him.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    What's their motive?
    It might be worth noting here that Odyn is a creation of the Titans, Vrykul are creations of the Titans, Val'kyr are creations of the Titans by proxy + whoever Odyn got his knowledge from in the Shadowlands. I think it stands to reason that Val'kyr may only have power over Vrykul and their human descendants.

It's also interesting to consider that Blood Elves are only creations of the Titans by accident; descended from Dark Trolls mutated by the Well of Eternity, and then the Sunwell. In the afterlife could the souls of elves be bound somehow to Bwonsamedi? Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle
    It is possible that Arthas ended up om the Void due to the lingering presence of Yogg Saron, self-proclaimed God of Death. I'm still inclined to think that the forces of Death return to its own realm.
    Good point about Yogg. Another reason I concluded that the Void Lords feed on souls and negativity was his line in the King Llane vision of his fight: "A thousand deaths, or one murder. Your petty quarrels only make me stronger." And it's worth noting Sylvanas threw herself on a Saronite spike, which could be a bridge to the Void. Perhaps that was the point of the sacrifices when the Old Gods ruled Azeroth?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    "There is another person on the other end of the chat screen. They're our friends; they're our brothers and sisters; they're our sons and daughters. Let's take a stand to reject hate and harassment, and let's redouble our efforts to be kind and respectful to one another, and let's remind the world what the gaming community is really all about."

Mike Morhaime CEO of Blizzard Entertainment, Blizzcon 2014 (view)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSaggins View Post
    The Dark Lady confirmed she met him in what was presumably the Void, and the Void Lords seem to be tormenting him.
    or it was her personal hell where she had to realize that she and arthas are the same and will get same punishment. Basically, she've seen what she (didn't)wanted to see, or someone else wanted her to see
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    They would kill Arthas on sight! He could never lead them in any way. Arthas is done hopefully.

Dead men never go to the Void (with the exception of Natalie Celine). Thoras Trollboy said that villains do not like in the Dark Lands. So Sylvanas got there exactly.
    Last edited by darkoms; 2017-06-19 at 07:00 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Arthas is dead.

His story told what it needed to tell.

Now, Blizzard is known to bring back popular characters from the death to satisfy some lore angle...

...but Arthas is DEAD... right?

He can't come back... RIGHT?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Gremlin View Post
    Jeeeeeeesuuuuuuuus chriiiiiiiiiiist. When are people gonna shut up about this.
    Arthas is long gone, he is dead. Get this in your head:

His-Story-Is-Over
    It ended with the best expansion we've ever had / ever will have for this game.
    It was a fitting end.
    Wait, he didn't die in MoP....
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Tell them only the Lich King is dead... and that WORLD OF WARCRAFT... DIED with him...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    He talking about wrath....

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Just no. Please just leave him alone. We don't need another "Hey guys im back" story. Not after illidan.

Deleted
    I doubt he's in the Void. But rather in the Shadowlands, the realm of Undeath..

Why would a guy dealing in necromantic energies go to the Void upon death?

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    I doubt he's in the Void. But rather in the Shadowlands, the realm of Undeath..

Why would a guy dealing in necromantic energies go to the Void upon death?
    I also assume he is lodged quite uncomfortably in the Shadowlands, but Arthas did build and dwell in a citadel composed mostly of an Old God's blood and according to some sources dabbled closely with the power of the Old Gods (especially nearby Yogg-Saron).
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    I also assume he is lodged quite uncomfortably in the Shadowlands, but Arthas did build and dwell in a citadel composed mostly of an Old God's blood and according to some sources dabbled closely with the power of the Old Gods (especially nearby Yogg-Saron).
    The question that remains is really how different is 'Undeath shadow magic' from just Shadow magic.

The void has even been used to raise Undead on Draenor, by Ner'zhul the guy who became the LK in the main timeline. Ever since the Shadowlands became a thing that's really confusing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    The question that remains is really how different is 'Undeath shadow magic' from just Shadow magic.

The void has even been used to raise Undead on Draenor, by Ner'zhul the guy who became the LK in the main timeline. Ever since the Shadowlands became a thing that's really confusing.
    Not to mention that legion as well has its own take on necromancy. I would guess that shadow is just element, that all interesting parties draw from and then shape it in their own way.