Page 32 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    In Castile's situation today, if I were carrying but being told to reach for my wallet and not my gun, I would keep my hands up, out, and visible and while doing so would ask the officer if he would permit me to exit the the vehicle following his instructions so he or his partner could disarm me or retrieve my wallet without me having to move my hands toward the weapon.

Another good idea if you are carrying while driving is to keep your license/insurance/registration out in a bundle that you can reach that's off your body, like on the dash console.

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The whole situation is sad. Friends of my who have CC permits tell me that part of the training is how to identify with a police officer. I would be very cautious before I reached for anything especially since I had a cop pull a gun out on me reaching behind my seat...I couldn't imagine if I had a gun doing anything without the officers permission.
    You realize that you would be dead, right now if it had been the officer in the question of this thread? Yet you feel the need to praise the jurys decision on this? In a case where you would personally have been killed, and for the same amount of nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    In Castile's situation today, if I were carrying but being told to reach for my wallet and not my gun, I would keep my hands up, out, and visible and while doing so would ask the officer if he would permit me to exit the the vehicle following his instructions so he or his partner could disarm me or retrieve my wallet without me having to move my hands toward the weapon.

Another good idea if you are carrying while driving is to keep your license/insurance/registration out in a bundle that you can reach that's off your body, like on the dash console.
    Yeah it is best to let the officer secure the weapon before you reach for anything or take your hands off the steering wheel. You can ask him to do that first before any action you do. In some states, there is no requirement to even tell the officer you have one in the automobile. So as long as he does not know there is one and it is concealed, you are fine to get your registration and driver license out. But I still think I would feel better to let him know first.

Quote Originally Posted by petej0 View Post
    There is a major lack of knowing what to do when pulled over by police.

If you are pulled over you do one of the following:

While the officer is radioing in your stop etc.. Pull out your License, Registration and insurance and place it on your dash. Then place your hands on the steering wheel. If at night put your dome light on.

OR

When the officer asks for the paper work you announce where it is located and that you are going to reach for it.

Since he was carrying, he should have done the first. That way when he announced he was carrying, there is no ambiguity in his movements.

- - - Updated - - -

Which departments teach this, because I have never been asked to do that.

All of the use of force officers/experts(several) testified that this is the general procedure, though none mentioned anything about the dominant hand thing that I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yeah it is best to let the officer secure the weapon before you reach for anything or take your hands off the steering wheel. You can ask him to do that first before any action you do. In some states, there is no requirement to even tell the officer you have one in the automobile. So as long as he does not know there is one and it is concealed, you are fine to get your registration and driver license out. But I still think I would feel better to let him know first.
    That's always the choice -- if you don't tell him and then in the course of complying with his other orders, it displays, will he lose his composure like Yanez?

There is still the overall issue with cops shooting someone "relatively frequently", when compared to other countries.. Your statistics suck and there is no need to downplay it to the 320+million population. Undertraining? As far as I understand, in some states courses are just 6 months. I cant believe that it is enough to became a policeman. Of course, all those guns everywhere doesn't and won't help.

Quote Originally Posted by vhatever View Post
    All of the use of force officers/experts(several) testified that this is the general procedure, though none mentioned anything about the dominant hand thing that I recall.
    Where, in MN or all departments? I have never been asked to do that. And how is a cop to confirm which hand is dominant. If I reach with my right hand, how does he really know I am left handed and not disobeying his orders and reaching with my dominant hand anyways.

15+ Year Old Account

Which departments teach this, because I have never been asked to do that.
    When a situation such as a traffic stops which you deem warrants an escalation (withdrawing firearm, yelling commands, ordering backup) you make sure the hands are on the steering wheel, and no further action is warranted until the subject's hands are on the steering wheel. From there you retain tactical advantage and continue the process of verification and licensing, then proceed with administering a citation or arrest with backup.

Where, in MN or all departments? I have never been asked to do that. And how is a cop to confirm which hand is dominant. If I reach with my right hand, how does he really know I am left handed and not disobeying his orders and reaching with my dominant hand anyways.
    They were experts in this stuff, so I'd imagine that would be the general trend for most states/precincts on how the deal with these situations.

We really don't know how fast any of this went down(perhapshe didn't have time to give that order), though. But the dashcam would have a better idea. The jury got to see that, but not us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you think you can "legally operate"a vehicle after stealing it?
    Why, exactly, are you lying this blatantly? The gun wasn't stolen. It was legally purchased and Castle held a legal permit for the weapon.

Those are the facts. Your malarkey is just that; counterfactual malarkey. It doesn't even deserve a more respectable term; it's silly manufactured nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Why, exactly, are you lying this blatantly? The gun wasn't stolen. It was legally purchased and Castle held a legal permit for the weapon.

Those are the facts. Your malarkey is just that; counterfactual malarkey. It doesn't even deserve a more respectable term; it's silly manufactured nonsense.
    The gun was illegally purchased.
    https://dps.mn.gov/divisions/bca/bca...pplication.pdf
    I am not an unlawful user of any controlled substance as defined in Chapter 152 of Minnesota Statutes.

A gun permit does not allow one to legally possess or use an illegally obtained firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    It does not say that. I pointed this out many times.

Stop being ignorant.
    Do you expect people here are too lazy or too stupid to click a link and read?

i don't recall I ever claimed he was killed due the legal status related to his firearm or his ability to possesses it. But this fact could certainly weigh on a jury's mind, knowing he illegal obtained a firearm.
    If the method of him obtaining the weapon weighs at all in the jury's mind, it's no wonder we have complete miscarriages of justice like this.

Philando Castile wasn't on trial. The cop was. How Philando acquired his gun has zero bearing on whether or not the cop was justified in murdering Philando. The fact that you keep bringing it up as though it's relevant, however, just goes to show how entrusting justice to random people has resulted in a "justice" system that's so broken.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    By asking them to put their hands on the steering wheel and ordering them to use their non-dominant hand to get their wallet. That's standard police protocol.
    That's in interesting method. I'm left-handed, but my right hand is dominant.

So I write with my left hand, but I shoot, bowl, throw with my right.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

so guy doesnt comply with officers commands and get shot for it.

and the usual suspects are saying guys a murderer.. yep MMO-C the usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    so guy doesnt comply with officers commands and get shot for it.
    He did.

Read. It's good for you.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."

I only "keep bringing up" because people keep bring it up, it does no one any good to pretend the facts are anything other than what they were regardless of your position on the matter.

The black jurors thought he was innocent lol they just must be uncle toms right......

10+ Year Old Account
    The gun was illegally purchased.
    I am not an unlawful user of any controlled substance as defined in Chapter 152 of Minnesota Statutes.

A gun permit does not allow one to legally possess or use an illegally obtained firearm.
    Repeating this lie doesn't make it true. The gun was legally purchased. If you wanted to argue that he should have had his permit revoked under the clause that you keep linking, that would have to be legally processed first.

Since it was not, you're just obviously and ridiculously wrong, and lying about basic facts of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Repeating this lie doesn't make it true. The gun was legally purchased. If you wanted to argue that he should have had his permit revoked under the clause that you keep linking, that would have to be legally processed first.

Since it was not, you're just obviously and ridiculously wrong, and lying about basic facts of the case.

He lied on both of them, actually. The permit application has the same prohibition.

Had he not been killed he could have easily been charged with crimes related to this falsifications. And I don't understand how you can keep calling me a liar when I'm directly linking you the applications.

There is a major lack of knowing what to do when pulled over by police.

If you are pulled over you do one of the following:

While the officer is radioing in your stop etc.. Pull out your License, Registration and insurance and place it on your dash. Then place your hands on the steering wheel. If at night put your dome light on.

OR

When the officer asks for the paper work you announce where it is located and that you are going to reach for it.

Since he was carrying, he should have done the first. That way when he announced he was carrying, there is no ambiguity in his movements.
    All so someone oath-bound to protect your rights won't have legal justification to kill you.

Land of the free, my ass.