Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Major victory for free speech in Slants case

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/politi...ins/index.html

Alito who is arguably the most right wing justice with the majority opinion. The decision was 8-0, glad to see that both ends of the political spectrum are affirming such a fundamental American value

Seems fine to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Seems fine to me.
    Big implications for yeh Washington redskins ordeal

Deleted
    Seems like a very good decision.

Actually does seem like a sensible decision

15+ Year Old Account
    @Slant explain yourself!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Great ruling.

Damn those liberal activist jud...oh wait. It's almost like reasonable people of all stripes agree on free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Big implications for yeh Washington redskins ordeal
    In the sense that they should get to have their trademark restored, but this ruling probably wouldn't protect them if the NFL decides to apply pressure of its own.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's interesting that the defense has shifted from "'Redskins' isn't a slur" to "It's a slur, but we should legally be able to trademark it".

I mean, I agree with the latter; this is the kind of thing that should be handled via public outcry and the market, not the courts. But it's a telling admission regardless.

Redskins is a slur? Slur for what? People who have spent too much time in the sun and look like lobsters due to sun burn?

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Redskins is a slur? Slur for what? People who have spent too much time in the sun and look like lobsters due to sun burn?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_(slang)

Google, yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's interesting that the defense has shifted from "'Redskins' isn't a slur" to "It's a slur, but we should legally be able to trademark it".

I mean, I agree with the latter; this is the kind of thing that should be handled via public outcry and the market, not the courts. But it's a telling admission regardless.
    The ruling was that the law couldn't restrict speech just because it offended someone. Unless you standard of a slur is that it offends someone than in no way does this affirm anything about the term redskin

10+ Year Old Account
    The ruling was that the law couldn't restrict speech just because it offended someone. Unless you standard of a slur is that it offends someone than in no way does this affirm anything about the term redskin
    It tacitly admits that it's a slur.

If it weren't, the law wouldn't have covered it in the first place. They weren't arguing that their trademark wasn't offensive, they were arguing that they should get to use it anyway.

My perspective might be different.

I'm chinese. I grew up in Queens, NY. I saw every possible race and combination before I was 10. As kids, we literally called each other every possible slur you could come up with.

So today, I honestly don't get why people get so heated and offended. Those slurs mean nothing to me. You could call me a chink to my face and I honestly just don't care... 'yeah, I am, so what? Got something better?"

Words only give power if you allow them to.

For that group to want to use the word(s) "The Slants", I thought it was awesome, hilarious even. I'd do the same if I were in their position. To allow others power over your emotions because of some innocuous use of a word? Just seems childish to me.

No such shift has happened, and even if it did it wouldn't be all that interesting. Challenging the constitutionality of a law has dick to do with whether or not you're actually in violation of said law.

If it weren't, the law wouldn't have covered it in the first place. They weren't arguing that their trademark wasn't offensive, they were arguing that they should get to use it anyway.

I'm inclined to disagree. There are two separate questions when you assess a law against a set circumstance. The obvious one is of course, does this thing violate the law as written? If you have a law banning slurs, or anything else like that, does the material qualify?

The other part, that really takes a higher priority, is the law even legal? You can absolutely challenge a law on this basis alone, and doing so doesn't amount to any real stipulation on the part of whether the circumstance in question actually violates the law. If I arrested tomorrow for shouting obscenities on the sidewalk. I can challenge the legality of a law banning obscenities without ever taking a position on whether or not I did indeed shout obscenities on the sidewalk and thus violate the law as written.

I will insist quite firmly that Redskin is in fact a slur, as is "the slants" (though perhaps bore benign in its use in this particular case) and particularly unpleasant one at that, but I think this was the right decision by a long shot and I have to say I don't see the court deciding whether or not the USPTO can veto a slur as a trademark actually functions as tacitly or explicitly affirming that it is a slur in the first place because it's not relevant to the decision. The trademark in question could have been gorillahats and it wouldn't have made a difference.
    Last edited by Alfador; 2017-06-19 at 08:22 PM.

The band wasn't the redskins it was the slants. This ruling means that it's irrelevant if redskin is considered a slur, I don't see how that proclaims redskin to be a slur.

Quote Originally Posted by Resurgo View Post
    My perspective might be different.

I'm chinese. I grew up in Queens, NY. I saw every possible race and combination before I was 10. As kids, we literally called each other every possible slur you could come up with.

So today, I honestly don't get why people get so heated and offended. Those slurs mean nothing to me. You could call me a chink to my face and I honestly just don't care... 'yeah, I am, so what? Got something better?"

Words only give power if you allow them to.

For that group to want to use the word(s) "The Slants", I thought it was awesome, hilarious even. I'd do the same if I were in their position. To allow others power over your emotions because of some innocuous use of a word? Just seems childish to me.
    Philosophically, I agree with you. In a perfect world no slur or hateful remark would have any power because they would all be denied. However that's not the case. It may hold no power on your but that may not be true for someone who still has memories of their family losing everything going to an internment camp, or who has directly experienced anything ranging from violence to a lost job on the basis of their racial appearance.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words...I'LL SUE!

The band wasn't the redskins it was the slants. This ruling means that it's irrelevant if redskin is considered a slur, I don't see how that proclaims redskin to be a slur.
    I think the greater point here is even if it was about the Redskins, the simple fact of it is, challenging the legality of a law does not require anyone, the court or the petitioner, to make a decision or a statement on whether or not the law was even broken. If I get taken to court for something tomorrow, I can petition the court that the law I'm being prosecuted under is invalid regardless of my position or the court's determination on whether or not I actually even broke the law as it's written.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    @Slant explain yourself!
    The ruling speaks for itself. I am free!
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.