Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    24 million people that were uninsured before Obamacare now have insurance. 15 million of them are on Medicare. But you're telling me that people who weren't at risk before Obamacare are suddenly at risk now that it's passed and being repealed? I'll put that in the fear mongering jar
    Who says they weren't at risk before?
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Who says they weren't at risk before?
    Well did anything in that article happen before the ACA?

10+ Year Old Account
    Were people kicked off their ACA insurance before the ACA? Well... no, but that seems kind of a desperate point to cling to. They were at risk before, that's WHY the ACA was a good thing.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2017-06-19 at 06:42 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    "Obamacare will lead to Death Panels!"

No they won't.

8 years later....

"We're repealing Obamacare, letting insurance companies bugger our elderly and disabled on premiums, and letting the 1% skim off the top. This will remove insurance from about 23 million people, some/many of which will die as a result of the insurance companies policies."

I guess they were right, passing Obamacare DID lead to Death Panels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    "Obamacare will lead to Death Panels!"

No they won't.

8 years later....
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/11/politi...man/index.html

8 years later, some elected Republicans are still lying about it : D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/11/politi...man/index.html

8 years later, some elected Republicans are still lying about it : D
    Well, to be fair, the 'death panels' were real, but a good thing. They were end of life planning, which is something that for some reason our medical system ignores. Deciding when and how to let yourself die is important.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Trump is the gift that keeps on giving. Republicans are going to get clubbed by the 'mean' comment.
    When your opponents can make campaign ads using the voice of your party's leader to attack you....you have issues.

Well, to be fair, the 'death panels' were real, but a good thing. They were end of life planning, which is something that for some reason our medical system ignores. Deciding when and how to let yourself die is important.
    Indeed. But it's a very, very, very different thing than what Republicans say it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    24 million people that were--
    Wow. Is that how you always react when caught claiming an unwelcome reality is a hypothetical? Because damn did you jump topics on that one.

And yes, the changes suggested by the GOP can, and will, affect people unaffected by the ACA. That's not fearmongering. That's analysis. There is a difference between things you don't like, and actual facts.

- - - Updated - - -

"That article" I linked three dude, all about the Senate GOP health care plan. If you're not going to even pretend to read the information you might not want to talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Wow. Is that how you always react when caught claiming an unwelcome reality is a hypothetical? Because damn did you jump topics on that one.

And yes, the changes suggested by the GOP can, and will, affect people unaffected by the ACA. That's not fearmongering. That's analysis. There is a difference between things you don't like, and actual facts.

- - - Updated - - -

"That article" I linked three dude, all about the Senate GOP health care plan. If you're not going to even pretend to read the information you might not want to talk about it.

So obama saved all of those people and they didn't even know it. What a divine hero.

In many ways he did.

I'm not saying I like Obamacare.

What I am saying is that it was a case of redistributing. I saw it first hand in the bills I write and pay.
    Pre-Obamacare, I had great coverage. No limits, $10 co-pays for doctor visits, and maybe $5-10 for name brand pharmaceuticals. ~$200/month
    Pre-Obamacare, my parents had similar coverage, but their rates (combined) were ~$1500/month, or ~$750/month each.

Post-Obamacare, my costs for the same insurance went up to (currently) ~$480/month
    my parents went to approx ~$400 combined or ~$200/month each.

All Obamacare did, was shift costs to people in the average working age category, and lower it for those that actually aren't able to work as much.

It did nothing for the actual costs of care. Those continue to go up, and therein lies my greatest critique. It still shackles you to the Insurance Industry and they know they're getting money, so they continue to rake the populace over the coals for health care costs. It only ever changed who actually paid for it.

The republican plan equally does nothing for costs. Prices will continue to go up (Just look up Martin Shkreli, or Mylan as examples), you just go back to screwing over the old people.

In the end, nothing changes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Pretty sure they still need Democrat support for it to pass.
    Nope. Only need Republicans to get to 50 votes.

-Kujako-

Nope. Only need Republicans to get to 50 votes.
    I am confused as to how this is different from other bills that did not pass.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which ones? They really haven't done much since the election...

-Kujako-

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

First bill didn't pass because some Republicans didn't think it went far enough, they wanted to undo more of what obamacare did.

I say it didn't pass, but it might have never gone to vote. They knew it didn't have enough support without those Republicans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Insurers will be back on the exchanges once republicans stop holding the individual exchange funding hostage for their political messaging to be accurate. Why do you think some counties have more than one option or still under operation? They have larger actuarial pools to sustain the payouts without relying on the individual marketplace funding from medicare and ACA funding.
    I wouldn't bet on it. From what I'm seeing, the goal of the Republicans is to completely crash the ACA through withholding all funding, let all of the companies attached to it drop their contracts, and blame the Democrats for Obamacare failing. The bluffing period is already passed; companies are pulling out now. Depending on one's degree of cynicism, they may or may not have any sort of backup plan for replacing it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    First bill didn't pass because some Republicans didn't think it went far enough, they wanted to undo more of what obamacare did.

I say it didn't pass, but it might have never gone to vote. They knew it didn't have enough support without those Republicans.
    It did not go up for a vote.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Despite earlier claims by GOP Senators of nothing being possible August, or even this year, it looks like they're going for it.

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare...cted-next-week

Senate GOP leader: Health vote expected next week

Senate Republicans are planning to vote next week on their bill to repeal and replace ObamaCare, according to Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.).

"I believe we’re going to vote before the Fourth of July recess on a healthcare plan, a repeal and replacement of ObamaCare," Barrasso, a member of GOP leadership, said on Fox News.

"Every Republican is trying to get to yes," Barrasso said while noting, "There are some differences of opinion on specific details of this."

The vote by the end of the month was expected, as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) wants to move quickly on healthcare and get on to other issues.

The timeline is fast, though, given that lawmakers and the public have not yet seen the text of a bill. That could come later this week.

Republicans have already sent pieces of a bill to the Congressional Budget Office, but the CBO will have to issue an analysis, known as a score, once the bill comes together.

It remains unclear if Republicans have the votes to pass the bill. There is no deal yet on a range of contentious issues, ranging from phasing out ObamaCare's Medicaid expansion to repealing pre-existing condition rules.

Senate Republicans are considering even deeper cuts to Medicaid than the House bill, which could repel some moderates.
    52 is a dangerous number to play with, but then, so was 216. This reads to me like, in order to use the "nuclear" option, they must make a bill that has no effect on the deficit or debt. And, apparently, that means steep Medicaid cuts. Incidentally, hospitals have said the Medicaid cuts will cause severe damage and the Republican Study Committee have warned that such cuts don't go far enough[/url], asking (for example) for no tax credits for any insurance plan that covers abortions. Like the House bill, it sounds like they want this one voted on before people have a chance to see how toxic it is, and most importantly, before the CBO report comes out.

So, yes, they're drafting it in shadow and keeping it in secret as long as they can, because they know how unpopular it will be.

Party before country, ladies and gentlemen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Figure this goes here:
    http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/h...e-trump-doesnt

The Republican legacy is really getting flushed down the drain. The last Republican President, Bush, saved millions in Africa with PEPFAR. Meanwhile, our current President apparently doesn't even care about the people with AIDS in our own country, much less Africa.
    Well of course, people with AIDS are probably homosexuals, and fuck them, right?

(Going off of Trump's seeming view of the world from the 1980's)
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"