Page 13 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Since she wouldn't have died, this thread probably wouldn't be here.

- - - Updated - - -

Doesn't look like they're capable of either.
    Curious, how do you know she wouldn't have died with pepper spray?

People like to ignore certain factors when loved ones are involved. I mean no one likes to lose people they love and care about. But that doesnt excuse what the victim might have done in that situation. If its true he brandished a knife at the cop then its her fault. The quotes about a family member feeling like they could have taken her down easy if they were in that situation is them living in a fantasy world. Chances are if someone has a weapon there going to get a few hits in before you subdue them. And if its something as deadly as a knife you could lose your life for no reason if it hits the wrong place.

If what the cops say is true they did the right thing. Despite what you see in the movies tasers dont just instantly bring people down. If you threaten to Tazz someone who already has their weapon out chances are they can rush you and get a few stabs in b4 you can react. Also you dont know if shes on drugs and can be resistant to it. The gun was the best option both as a threat to keep the person from doing anything out of the ordinary and to protect themselves from harm. Unfortunately she did something out of the ordinary and they reacted.

Quote Originally Posted by triplesdsu View Post
    A knife is a deadly weapon. As such you also respond with deadly force. In a situation with multiple officers one could potentially use a taser with lethal cover but its not mandatory. Depending on how the situation played out, they may not have had the time to downgrade/transition or even have one. Ive had a taser for all of 6 months in my 10 year career.
    Its not mandatory and these cops should not go to jail for the decision they made. I think the reasoning for their decision should be looked at and the training future cops receive should be updated to reflect any new information.

If they weren't equipped with tasers and pepper spray then we need to make sure our cops are given all the tools they need to make appropriate decisions.
    "I pulled up to moonglade about 7 or 8
    and yelled to the trainer "yo resto cya."
    Looked at my talent tree, i was finally there.
    To go to Karazhan and tank in dire bear."
    -Yarma

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Oh, I'll admit, people have died from being hit with pepper spray (although very rare), but (and maybe this is just me) I would rather have someone pepper spray me than have two people shoot me. With bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Better View Post
    Oh I'm sorry Mr.witness, you should really talk to both the authorities, and news to give them a full first hand account of what happened. Because you clearly were there in person, and didn't just read a vague article about what happened on the internet.

The information, as anybody in this thread has it:
    There were two officers, both of which discharged their service weapons, fatally wounding the Woman.
    The woman, at some point was armed with a Knife.
    The woman had called to report an attempted burglary.
    The woman, was 30 years old, pregnant, and African American.
    The woman had previous run-ins with the police, and had "Hazard information" on record.
    The woman reportedly had mental health issues.
    The shooting took place on the 4th floor of the apartment building sometime after 10 am on Sunday.
    Three children were present at the scene.

Now as far as I can tell, there's no way to make a moral judgement, seeing as we have no idea how the shooting played out.
    "fatally wounding the Woman" - ie: executed a mentally disturbed pregnant women.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    because no white people with knifes or no one in any other western nation nation ever gets shot by cops.
    No, generally they don't. You people are just very violent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't wave a knife around and you won't get fucking shot. BLM won't care though. A guy could go out and kill several cops and still be defended by them. Oh wait, that already happened.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fibh View Post
    History with police? Check.
    Mental health problems? Check.
    Weapon? Check.

Yeah, I wonder why she was shot. Must've been race.
    Actually, yeah.

Plenty of instances of white men with knives and guns, and they don't get shot (or just shot with taser)...including those having a history with police and mental health problems.

A small sampling (first guy had an arrest record)...

Bonus video - two guys (one white, one black) walk around in a legal open carry area. Minor difference in treatment...

If you think race doesn't play a factor, you are either ignorant of the facts or outright delusional...

Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    "fatally wounding the Woman" - ie: executed a mentally disturbed pregnant women.
    Again. Information you don't have, and are making huge assumptions about.

We know both officers discharged their weapons, and she was fatally wounded. We don't know what led to that point, or how the scene played out. It could have been an execution, or it could have been a mentally ill woman charging the police with a knife. There's no way of knowing with the information given in the article.

This is why body cams are important, and should be mandatory all across the US.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    No, generally they don't. .
    You realize this is the same motte and bailey involved in racists' claims that black people are violent right? You move from the hyperbolic statement of X are Y and then when confronted with the stupidity involved, move back to the more defensible position of differing rates between the two populations or X are more likely to be Y than Z are. It's a bit of sophistry so I'm not surprised this was followed by a "you people are violent".

Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    Oh fuck off with that. She wasn't executed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    You didn't refute what I said at all, no matter how much you think you did.

There is no reason to believe the cops wouldn't have shot her anyways if she was white, because police in this country have proven very capable of shooting white people to death.
    And statistically they don't shoot innocent white people more than innocent black people. They see the color of their skin and shoot regardless, they don't listen to reason they just shoot. It's you can find numerous studies that show this fact with evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Last I checked getting shot with a gun is generally more fatal than getting shot with pepper spray. Could it have killed her? Sure. So could tackling someone or tazing someone or shooting them with a nonlethal weapon like a beanbag gun. They aren't in the same realm of likelihood though.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Actually, yeah.

Plenty of instances of white men with knives and guns, and they don't get shot (or just shot with taser)...including those having a history with police and mental health problems.

A small sampling (first guy had an arrest record)...

Bonus video - two guys (one white, one black) walk around in a legal open carry area. Minor difference in treatment...

If you think race doesn't play a factor, you are either ignorant of the facts or outright delusional...
    Have you ever watched cops? Every episode is an example of an armed black person not getting shot by the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-...ctive-custody/

No wonder people don't trust the police in some places. Why are they so trigger happy?
    Nice race bait and police bashing thread!
    C-C-C-Can't Stump the Trump!

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    Oh, I'll admit, people have died from being hit with pepper spray (although very rare), but (and maybe this is just me) I would rather have someone pepper spray me than have two people shoot me. With bullets.
    Ive been pepper sprayed and seen kids in juvi sprayed while fighting. In neither case would it have rendered any of us unable to stab someone. It takes time to really kick in. The teenagers kept fighting and i had to run an obstacle course and do minor tasks under the effects. I dont think many cops have any faith that it would stop someone who needed to be stopped immediately and/or was armed with a deadly weapon.

The problem is that she was probably holding the knife in case the burglar was around to protect herself.

Edit: Apparently finding a case of a black guy getting shot and a white guy not getting shot is irrefutable evidence..
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2017-06-20 at 12:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    This is half-true, but it's mostly an exaggeration. The work Roland Fryer did makes it pretty clear that police are not more likely to shoot black suspects. They are more likely to use various other forms of force, but only by ~20%, which doesn't look anything like the exaggerated caricature of racist cops that's portrayed by BLM.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Serious question: I will concede that white cops will shoot a black person more quickly than a white person.
    I'm not conceding this point - there's very mixed evidence on it, with the most recent study saying the opposite:
    Now to the shooting scenarios. With all other variables constant, “officers took significantly longer to shoot armed black suspects than armed white suspects,” an average of 0.23 seconds slower, James wrote. When looking at shooting errors, where an unarmed suspect is wrongly shot, “officers were significantly less likely to shoot unarmed black suspects than unarmed white suspects.” Of the wrongful shootings, white people were shot 54 times and black people were shot twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
    Or an unarmed human.

Or a 12 year old with a toy gun.

Or a guy talking casually on a cell phone while holding a toy gun in a store.

Or a guy with his back turned and running away.

Or a guy on the ground with his hands out.

Or a guy on the ground subdued by another cop.

Good thing our hero cops put down each of those kinds of people, cause who knows what kind of damage they could have done.
    or a big guy trying to wrestle the gun out of the officers hands. or knocking a hispanics man head to the curv.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

At this point it's hard to take claims of racism seriously when people shout it in any instance in which a black criminal gets shot. The race of the police officer doesn't even matter, the cop could be a minority as well or even black and we'll still see the left attribute it to racism lol. By pretty much labeling so much as racism, without actually providing an explanation and using only sweeping generalizations (like posting videos where the cops are nice to white people) liberals are doing more harm than actually helping.