Need advice regarding world pvp

I havent played wow since cataclysm and i really wanna make a warlock for pve. Now I have always been into pvp in the past so i dont wanna be helpless in that aspect of the game either.

so my question is: how balanced is wow now compared to cataclysm? Can any class beat any class if the skill is high enough? will i be vulnerable to any specific class in a world pvp scenario with a warlock? And if that is the case by how much? If I get to 1800 rating plus in arena will i get owned by noobs that just happen to play a class that counters mine?

Everyone has a template in instanced PvP that makes them... relatively... balanced. It changes the damage/healing of their skills and gives them specific stats. The problem is, that isn't active just out in the world, so it's extremely unbalanced. For DPS who are actually geared, if you hit first you win. There's still some give if either side actually has some clue as to what defensives and such are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    In terms of world pvp ? Absolutely not balanced. Not only you suffer from "regular" inbalances and typical things like FOTM vs everything else, but unlike bgs and areans in world pvp gear mattes. So you can get absolutely destroyed by a raiding player. Especially since pvp gear is generally very low lvl (atm its 880 for basic gladiator, while even mythic + 5mans allow you to get much better items).

If you really want to see by yourself try any free for all world quests and you will quickly know whather you enjoy it or not.

Ok at least its gonna be more balanced in battlegrounds and arenas then i guess.
    Do you know how warlocks stand in terms of world pvp without the battleground/arena template?

World PvP isn't what it used to be. Especially, with the gimme-gimme legendary system. If you're mostly interested in playing Warlock, then do it. Class has a smaller effect than, someone with a full set of mythic gear or the BiS legendaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Soisoisoi View Post
    ...For DPS who are actually geared, if you hit first you win. There's still some give if either side actually has some clue as to what defensives and such are.
    I can't stress this ^ enough. I used to PvP regularly and have a fair understanding of most classes. A Frost Mage caught me by surprise while doing the arena WQ in Highmountain. Because I knew which spells to interrupt I was able to quickly turn the tide of the fight. The thing is most people on a PvE server will avoid PvP in the open world and not fight back... he just happened to attack someone who knew what PvP was about.

Quote Originally Posted by akselsen View Post
    Ok at least its gonna be more balanced in battlegrounds and arenas then i guess.
    Do you know how warlocks stand in terms of world pvp without the battleground/arena template?
    any good melee will just delete your warlock.

Wpvp is broken right now, literally broken. PvP templates do not work in Wpvp like they said they would way back in the beta. CC/Burst classes like Fire/frost Mages, WW monks, rogues(sub specifically), ferals, warriors, they all will literally 1 shot you in a gcd.

Let me just drop this here. Yesterday i was fighting an 880 sub rogue in the gurubashi arena, with my 910 havoc DH. This is how most fights went, cheapshot > 1.7m evis > 2.4m evis > gg.

If you want to pvp now, stick to 3v3 arenas. Everything else is broken. PvP needs a full overhaul for the next expansion, good thing they just got rid of Holinka.
    Last edited by Ulfric Trumpcloak; 2017-06-19 at 12:54 PM.

Ulfric isn't wrong unfortunately.
    World PvP is inherently unbalanced.
    Templates are meant to try and reign that in for instanced PvP, but in the world near anything goes and so balancing isn't a concern.

Without a hard counter, you will be lucky for most fights to last 5 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

In world pvp the sky is the limit when it comes to burst. I wouldn't base your class on world pvp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
    I can't stress this ^ enough. I used to PvP regularly and have a fair understanding of most classes. A Frost Mage caught me by surprise while doing the arena WQ in Highmountain. Because I knew which spells to interrupt I was able to quickly turn the tide of the fight. The thing is most people on a PvE server will avoid PvP in the open world and not fight back... he just happened to attack someone who knew what PvP was about.
    Yup. I had a random Mythic Raid geared troll mage attack my 880 "alt" [for raids] Rogue a few weeks back. He didn't realise he was attacking someone who's played Rogue throughout since Vanilla for PvPing. Targeting me and starting to cast Ebonbolt didn't really get him anywhere to say the least. He'd have one shot me guaranteed considering the Frozen Orb ticks with Feint up was nearly enough alone. On the flip-side, my raiding "main", aka my Huntard, basically oneshots people too.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2017-06-19 at 02:57 PM.

Yup. I had a random Mythic Raid geared troll mage attack my 880 "alt" [for raids] Rogue a few weeks back. He didn't realise he was attacking someone who's played Rogue throughout since Vanilla for PvPing. Targeting me and starting to cast Ebonbolt didn't really get him anywhere to say the least. He'd have one shot me guaranteed considering the Frozen Orb ticks with Feint up was nearly enough alone. On the flip-side, my raiding "main", aka my Huntard, basically oneshots people too.
    well thats just being a rogue, they have the ability of mobs to just evade and refuse to fight, so ilvl doesn't matter vs evading you can't hit it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    well thats just being a rogue, they have the ability of mobs to just evade and refuse to fight, so ilvl doesn't matter vs evading you can't hit it anyway.
    Yeah, of course - that doesn't mean I didn't fight him, though. I stalked him for a good while because he kept coming back to try and kill me after the first one. So I followed him after he ressed and flew away. He took ress sickness eventually, after this one! ... (Guildy asked what I was laughing about, hence the screenshot)

Yeah, of course - that doesn't mean I didn't fight him, though. I stalked him for a good while because he kept coming back to try and kill me after the first one. So I followed him after he ressed and flew away. He took ress sickness eventually, after this one! ... (Guildy asked what I was laughing about, hence the screenshot)
    lol i just don't see why any self respecting caster would attack a rogue, you can only beat retards, anyone worth fighting will always escape with their life or kill you, there is no winning.

i'd sooner attack a tank than a rogue, at least they can't escape they just hit as hard as you, heal 4 times as much and have double your hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    lol i just don't see why any self respecting caster would attack a rogue, you can only beat retards, anyone worth fighting will always escape with their life or kill you, there is no winning.

i'd sooner attack a tank than a rogue, at least they can't escape they just hit as hard as you, heal 4 times as much and have double your hp.
    Normally I'd agree but considering one shots are entirely possible from a Mage it's entirely possible to kill someone before they realise you've even casted something at them. Blizzard really should make templates effective in the world as soon as you cast something at someone. :/

Normally I'd agree but considering one shots are entirely possible from a Mage it's entirely possible to kill someone before they realise you've even casted something at them. Blizzard really should make templates effective in the world as soon as you cast something at someone. :/
    what if the rogue has cheat death, now even the 1 shot is off the table lol.

I run pyra and hardiness on my rogue for open world, makes it a lot easier to survive the burst. Fyi rogues have a follower ability that drops non-elites to 10% hp on a 3 minute cd.

Forgot to take screenshots the last time, but here you go. 880 sub rogue...

2.4m hit, followed up by a 2.8m. That's world pvp right now.

Warlock is cool!

4th post out of 10. (Rolls eyes)