Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/19/politi...ins/index.html

Alito who is arguably the most right wing justice with the majority opinion. The decision was 8-0, glad to see that both ends of the political spectrum are affirming such a fundamental American value
    Awesome, common sense prevails!
    C-C-C-Can't Stump the Trump!

Quote Originally Posted by Zormis View Post
    Awesome, common sense prevails!
    Unfortunately that needs to be celebrated in today's world

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words...I'LL SUE!
    Donald Trump, is that you?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Redskins is a slur? Slur for what? People who have spent too much time in the sun and look like lobsters due to sun burn?
    There are many sports teams that slur against the Native American population, of which I am a member of. Most of these are not as derogatory of a nature as "redskin". Most teams Native Americans take no issues with, such as the Warriors or the Braves or even the Semenoles.
    If one could only imagine other ethnicities having a major sports team with a derogatory name for their race. I won't recite any examples I am sure you all can think of some all on your own.

Ever on to topic...
    This ruling could have wide reaching implications. This could mean someone could name something anything they wanted even if it was offensive to others. People may do it just for the shock value.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Donald Trump, is that you?
    Wait, let me count to see if it is 140 characters or less.

Always seemed like a silly controversy to me.

The thing that REALLY got me is: why didn't the Redskins just change their name back to the Braves? It's a better name anyway...

- - - Updated - - -

Can hardly deny that to a man who is living proof of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Ever on to topic...
    This ruling could have wide reaching implications. This could mean someone could name something anything they wanted even if it was offensive to others. People may do it just for the shock value.
    Good. Nothing is more effective at stripping words of their power over people than overuse. Maybe when offense is everywhere, people will start to grow up and realize it doesn't mean jack.

I can hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Deamon002 View Post
    Good. Nothing is more effective at stripping words of their power over people than overuse. Maybe when offense is everywhere, people will start to grow up and realize it doesn't mean jack.

I can hope.
    I don't think any Native Americans are crying over the Redskins hurting their feelings, I think most of them are just pissed that the team is cynically abusing stereotypes to make absurd profits while they continue to languish in poverty.

I don't know why a trademark symbol wouldn't be considered speech.

Is it something you as a corporation want to say though?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

Is it something you as a corporation want to say though?
    Yeah, from what i gather, they used to be called the braves.
    What's wrong with the Washington Braves really?

The forum moderation (censorship) brigade seem mildly peeved at this victory for free speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    There are many sports teams that slur against the Native American population, of which I am a member of. Most of these are not as derogatory of a nature as "redskin". Most teams Native Americans take no issues with, such as the Warriors or the Braves or even the Semenoles.
    If one could only imagine other ethnicities having a major sports team with a derogatory name for their race. I won't recite any examples I am sure you all can think of some all on your own.
    If you don't like the team name, you have the most powerful way of making a statement against them:

Don't spend money with, or support, the organization.

If the marketplace finds the name deplorable, they'll be forced to change it. If not, well, deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    I don't think any Native Americans are crying over the Redskins hurting their feelings, I think most of them are just pissed that the team is cynically abusing stereotypes to make absurd profits while they continue to languish in poverty.
    Actually there have been protests. They just don't get a lot of TV time since it was just a bunch of Native Americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    How dare we live in a free society where people don't have to limit their speech because some white guy who has 1/64th Cherokee blood claims offense. My 23 and me results said I was .2% Native American, so as a representative of native Americans I am completely ok with the term redskins. Your position is completely negated.
    In order to claim true Native American ancestry one has to show legal tribal affiliation my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by GoblinP View Post
    yes, if only Hitler had referred to the Jews as Jews instead of Kikes, we wouldn't have had the holocaust.
    I made no such comparison. if you can't be intellectually honest here spare everyone and don't waste time on false premises.

No, Nigger has no intrinsic power over over another random word.'
    whether or not it has "intrinsic" power is irrelevant. It has real, practical power that is demonstrated by the consequences of its use.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with the actual word.
    Words are words, you choosing to react to them is on you - For nigger to have intrinsic power, it needs to have said power over everyone.
    There you go with that word intrinsic again. It's like you know that you have to qualify your argument for it to even be defensible.
    Whether or not I personally choose to be offended by a word does not fully control whether or not the utterance of that word is able to impact me negatively. Any word or statement has power insofar as someone reacts to it, and that person's reactions affect others. People literally die over words that they don't care about because a third party that heard them did. That's power whether you want to admit it or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really see the point in celebrating the use of ethnic slurs to sell junk merchandise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.