Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Whats the deal with people that live in caravans and set up camp on public land?

So there was a story on my local news recently about a group of travelers that had rocked up top a school field and set up their own personal camp site, they were promptly moved on by the police as they were disruptive to the school children, their response was "where else are we supposed to go?" as if it was the public's problem. This isn't the first instance of this I have seen but on my way home from work today I noticed that a group had set up on my local recreation ground, I wouldn't have an issue with it if they had just set up in a corner but they have spread themselves out over the whole field which I find kind of selfish because it means there is less space for people play football and other games or generally use the field for what its supposed to be used for.

So whats the deal with these people? How do they fund this lifestyle? Some of them seem to have fairly decent cars and caravans but I imagine they cant have full time jobs that allow them to come and go as they please. Why cant they just pay for a campsite? The rest of the population has to pay rent/mortgage.

I'm in the UK and I don't know if this is a global thing but I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Gypsies/Trailer park trash.
    /puke

Deleted
    Drive them off with pitchforks and torches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people just prefer the vagabond lifestyle and do odd jobs here and there to support it. I'd never do it but so long as they're not bothering anyone I don't really see the big deal. The vast majority of people will not want to live like that so a couple of people living "off the grid" and not contributing to the system isn't too bad imo.

Quote Originally Posted by LaserChild9 View Post
    So there was a story on my local news recently about a group of travelers that had rocked up top a school field and set up their own personal camp site, they were promptly moved on by the police as they were disruptive to the school children, their response was "where else are we supposed to go?" as if it was the public's problem. This isn't the first instance of this I have seen but on my way home from work today I noticed that a group had set up on my local recreation ground, I wouldn't have an issue with it if they had just set up in a corner but they have spread themselves out over the whole field which I find kind of selfish because it means there is less space for people play football and other games or generally use the field for what its supposed to be used for.

So whats the deal with these people? How do they fund this lifestyle? Some of them seem to have fairly decent cars and caravans but I imagine they cant have full time jobs that allow them to come and go as they please. Why cant they just pay for a campsite? The rest of the population has to pay rent/mortgage.

I'm in the UK and I don't know if this is a global thing but I don't see why it wouldn't be.
    There's only two kinds of land in this country. Public and private. You don't think they're going to get away with camping out on someone else's private property do ya?

10+ Year Old Account
    You just have to be accepting of their culture or you're a bigot.

Reported to the thought police.

I don't know about the UK, but in the US a lot of people on permanent disability live that way, or are homeless. Disability pays out something like $700/month, by definition if you are disabled you can't work full-time and I think most states actually forbid you from working part-time, even if you can manage it? Or they drop your disability check down to nothing. $700 month doesn't get you far, there's often a very long wait list for subsidized housing.

Deleted
    At least in this part of Europe we have a ton of gypsies who just move in, find a piece of land they like and set up shop. No questions, nothing. "We live here now." They'll then proceed to rob and scam in the area, litter like an entire fucking music festival and then bitch and moan if anyone opposes them. The worst is the bleeding heart liberal tards who rush to their defense crying about culture and acceptance. Fuck that. You don't get to just claim land that's not yours and you're responsible for the fucking mess and crimes you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Some people just prefer the vagabond lifestyle and do odd jobs here and there to support it. I'd never do it but so long as they're not bothering anyone I don't really see the big deal. The vast majority of people will not want to live like that so a couple of people living "off the grid" and not contributing to the system isn't too bad imo.
    Sure. And more power to them. But if you don't own the land, you don't get to camp there unless you either have a permit or the land is specifically used for that purpose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by manbeartruck View Post
    Sure. And more power to them. But if you don't own the land, you don't get to camp there unless you either have a permit or the land is specifically used for that purpose.
    Fully in agreement with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwal View Post
    There's only two kinds of land in this country. Public and private. You don't think they're going to get away with camping out on someone else's private property do ya?
    Again I ask, why cant they just go to campsites? Aren't those places literally for that? It also wouldn't bother me if they just found a random empty field, but it's taking the piss a bit when you move into a public park or a school field and take over the entire field.

Do you seriously not know what a gypsy is? You've never had someone knock at your door asking for your scrap metal, or trying to sell you some bullshit products they made?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThanksForTheMemories View Post
    Do you seriously not know what a gypsy is? You've never had someone knock at your door asking for your scrap metal, or trying to sell you some bullshit products they made?
    Not in the last 20 years lol. I remember it when I was a kid, but I did grow up on a council estate in quite a rough and poor area where people would regularly try to sell bootleg crap. Like I said, some of the cars pulling these caravans are fairly new and I doubt they are on credit/finance due to the whole not having a fixed address thing. I didn't wanna use the word Gypsy coz I didn't wanna offend anyone.

Deleted
    Not in the last 20 years lol. I remember it when I was a kid, but I did grow up on a council estate in quite a rough and poor area where people would regularly try to sell bootleg crap. Like I said, some of the cars pulling these caravans are fairly new and I doubt they are on credit/finance due to the whole not having a fixed address thing. I didn't wanna use the word Gypsy coz I didn't wanna offend anyone.
    Most are 'builders' who do everything cash in hand. Then obviously pay 0 tax.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I don't know about the UK, but in the US a lot of people on permanent disability live that way, or are homeless. Disability pays out something like $700/month, by definition if you are disabled you can't work full-time and I think most states actually forbid you from working part-time, even if you can manage it? Or they drop your disability check down to nothing. $700 month doesn't get you far, there's often a very long wait list for subsidized housing.
    In the UK they would be pikeys, not disabled people.

Obviously some might be disabled pikeys, but they are an Irish traveller community. They might also be proper gypsies, however most are travellers/tinkers/pikeys/whatever.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again I ask, why cant they just go to campsites? Aren't those places literally for that? It also wouldn't bother me if they just found a random empty field, but it's taking the piss a bit when you move into a public park or a school field and take over the entire field.
    Most campsites nowadays charge a nightly fee, or at least many of them do. I think there's a wide range of them though. It's a mix of essentially homeless people living in campers or their cars, people moving around that are on disability "working the system" stealing or working jobs for cash and moving on when they've worn out their welcome, some far right or far left folks that are very anti-government control who want to live "free", and lastly you've got legit people (often retired) who are simply spending their retirement travelling the country. I know quite a few people who after they retired sold their home and bought an RV and just traveled around everywhere. And since campsites often charge $30 a night or more to park an RV, they look for free spots to land and setup.

In the US, especially out here in the west there is a boat load of government land. Not much water though. Not much smartphone access either. You can park on a place like this for a long time. It might be leased by a local rancher who might give you hell though.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

In the US, especially out here in the west there is a boat load of government land. Not much water though. Not much smartphone access either. You can park on a place like this for a long time. It might be leased by a local rancher who might give you hell though.
    Dispersed camping is legal in many state parks, too. At least out here in Oregon.

http://www.powells.com/book/camp-fre...-9780988907003 this guy wrote a couple of books on the subject, I'm sure there are similar books in other states.

7+ Year Old Account
    The deal is that its very cheap. I live in a caravan. I switch neighborhoods every couple nights. Little over 10 years and haven't been harassed once.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Not far as in cannot live on it at all in some states...not really. Food prices and all that.