Page 37 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nope. Nothing worse than traffic tickets/violations in his legal history.

The argument was that he was reaching for something, not the gun. He gave the officer something he was looking at; that may have been ID, but you usually need to provide registration papers too, he may keep them separate; mine are in my wallet but I know a lot of people keep them in the glove compartment or some other nook in the car. Or maybe he was scratching an itch on his back.

Fact is he clearly and calmly told Yanez he was NOT reaching for the weapon, and then Yanez shot him.
    Ok roger that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I think it could have turned out better for sure. Yet the thing which sticks in my mind is hestitation can get you killed and just one second can make a difference between life and death. He was fired, but was that more from his handling of the incident or a public image issue? *shrugs.
    I mean, he was fired literally the day the case finalized, which means they'd already made the decision well before the verdict came out. They just typically hold off on those announcements, because they can color the trial; if an officer gets fired mid-trial and the jury hears about it, it makes the officer look worse to them, which may affect their verdict. So they hold off.

As at least one expert said; if Yanez thought this guy was connected to an armed robbery, proper procedure would be to stop the car and order him out and onto the ground before cuffing him and investigating. So when Yanez said he stopped the guy because he thought he looked like a robbery suspect, that was either a lie (grounds for firing) or he didn't follow procedure (also grounds for firing). And regardless, a man died as a result of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The argument was that he was reaching for something, not the gun. He gave the officer something he was looking at; that may have been ID, but you usually need to provide registration papers too, he may keep them separate; mine are in my wallet but I know a lot of people keep them in the glove compartment or some other nook in the car. Or maybe he was scratching an itch on his back.

Fact is he clearly and calmly told Yanez he was NOT reaching for the weapon, and then Yanez shot him.
    Yeah and that would be a problem if he wasn't fucking reaching towards the weapon...

Police policy is clear.
    The officer's right to defend himself is clear.
    The board of inquiry that investigated this incident is clear.
    The jury's decision is clear.

Your opinion does not change the fucking facts.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Yeah and that would be a problem if he wasn't fucking reaching towards the weapon...

Police policy is clear.

lmaoo. everything about law is opinion. the jury's verdict is an opinion, and the whole point of the law is to interpret it as you see fit.

now stop trying to sound smart over the internet. you'll just embarrass yourself more.
    change can't wait.

Police policy is clear.

A shitty system produced a shitty result. You seem to be convinced that because it is THE system, it is infallible. It isn't. Would you take the same stance on the decisions of the North Korean government? They are infallible because they are the authorities?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I don't know if we can read anywhere, an official report of what was going on in the car. But the cop tells him 3 times, don't reach for it, don't pull it out. So I'm assuming he was doing something questionable in the car.
    And then after the shooting he had to be told again to not reach for it. So whether he was doing something else in the car that was misunderstood or he was actually reaching for the gun, it's really hard to tell what happened. Regardless the cops reaction after the shooting and the doubt surrounding why it occurred, there is plenty of reason to believe this wasn't a malicious act.
    He wasn't charged with a malicious crime. He was charged with being reckless.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Deleted

Bahahahaha........if he told him that of course he would never reach for the gun lmao.

You would last half a day as police officer. You are way too naive and uneducated about the real world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by forsake View Post
    lmaoo. everything about law is opinion. the jury's verdict is an opinion, and the whole point of the law is to interpret it as you see fit.

now stop trying to sound smart over the internet. you'll just embarrass yourself more.
    Telling a fervent SJW that thinks all cops are evil that their opinion doesn't change the facts of this case is me trying to sound smart?

The delusion is real.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Baikalsan View Post
    Bahahahaha........if he told him that of course he would never reach for the gun lmao.

You would last half a day as police officer. You are way too naive and uneducated about the real world.
    "No one lies! Apart from cops! They're all evil lying murderers!" - Endus

Good thing being a police officer isn't a particularly dangerous job. Most civilized countries don't even arm the average street cop. This authoritarian attitude you are exhibiting, where you treat the police like they are soldiers marching into Fallujah every day, is exactly the problem. The militarization and deification of the police is one of the warning signs of a republic falling.
    -ynnady

Deleted
    That's a ridiculous comparison. Did Castile steal the gun? No. He legally purchased it.

Your argument is exactly like arguing that someone who's drunk alcohol at some point in their lives shouldn't be able to own nor drive a car.
    And you are a scientist?

How he uses the gun has nothing to do whether he owns it or has a license for it. Wtf are you talking about.

Telling a fervent SJW that thinks all cops are evil that their opinion doesn't change the facts of this case is me trying to sound smart?

The delusion is real.
    Your "facts" are literally "Someone in authority agrees with me". That's not a fact. That's your authoritarianism.
    -ynnady

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Good thing being a police officer isn't a particularly dangerous job. Most civilized countries don't even arm the average street cop. This authoritarian attitude you are exhibiting, where you treat the police like they are soldiers marching into Fallujah every day, is exactly the problem. The militarization and deification of the police is one of the warning signs of a republic falling.
    You sure about that?

In Germany our police gets pistol whipped with their own weapons and almost killed by 14 year old girls.

That is much more of a danger for a republic.

7+ Year Old Account

Bahahhahaha, if he was going to ambush the cop, don't you think he would NOT have told him that he had a weapon?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Bahahhahaha, if he was going to ambush the cop, don't you think he would NOT have told him that he had a weapon?
    Tricking the officer to believe he is complient and upstanding or he just got carried away with adrenaline and decided to use the weapon.

Again. All of you here would not last a day as police officer on the streets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    A shitty system produced a shitty result. You seem to be convinced that because it is THE system, it is infallible. It isn't. Would you take the same stance on the decisions of the North Korean government? They are infallible because they are the authorities?
    Yeah because the system works for everyone that's not a fucking retard.

There are 320,000,000 people in this country... There are upwards of 800,000 police officers in the United States. Who have TENS OF MILLIONS of interactions with the public per year.

You would think if the system was as broken, if there was as much systemic racism, and police brutality, and guys on power trips as your like claim... That there would be a few more than a couple hundred to a thousand people killed by police each yeah, of which almost always the shooting was justified.

The way you and Endus cry about this shit, its as if every other citizen is getting lined up and executed by the police every day. The exaggeration you guys come up with to justify your arguments is absurd.

7+ Year Old Account
    Tricking the officer to believe he is complient and upstanding or he just got carried away with adrenaline and decided to use the weapon.

So the cop has a right to shoot anyone for any reason, because they may or may not have a weapon. You would be at home in north Korea, not a western city.

After all, if they're told not to move, and don't, they're just tricking the cop into thinking they're compliant right? If they're told to get their ID, they're just tricking the cop into thinking they're compliant right?

You don't get to say how long I'd last on the street as a cop. I have met and spoken with cops who are not trigger fingered or scared or panicky at all. I depend on them every day where I work, which is a hospital in one of the high crime areas of my city. I speak with them every day. They would laugh at you. The worst enemy of a cop is NOT a bad guy, it's a bad COP that is defended and martyred simply because he is a cop.
    Last edited by Noxx79; 2017-06-20 at 09:19 PM.

You sure about that?

In Germany our police gets pistol whipped with their own weapons and almost killed by 14 year old girls.

That is much more of a danger for a republic.
    Yet, somehow, Germany has fewer police deaths and way fewer police killings.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, I've literally been to warzones before, and I lived to talk about it, and you are wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah because the system works for everyone that's not a fucking retard.

There are 320,000,000 people in this country... There are upwards of 800,000 police officers in the United States. Who have TENS OF MILLIONS of interactions with the public per year.

You would think if the system was as broken, if there was as much systemic racism, and police brutality, and guys on power trips as your like claim... That there would be a few more than a couple hundred to a thousand people killed by police each yeah, of which almost always the shooting was justified.

The way you and Endus cry about this shit, its as if every other citizen is getting lined up and executed by the police every day. The exaggeration you guys come up with to justify your arguments is absurd.
    The fact that you don't care isn't really an argument for anything. Ok, you don't care. Good for you.
    -ynnady

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, he was fired literally the day the case finalized, which means they'd already made the decision well before the verdict came out. They just typically hold off on those announcements, because they can color the trial; if an officer gets fired mid-trial and the jury hears about it, it makes the officer look worse to them, which may affect their verdict. So they hold off.

As at least one expert said; if Yanez thought this guy was connected to an armed robbery, proper procedure would be to stop the car and order him out and onto the ground before cuffing him and investigating. So when Yanez said he stopped the guy because he thought he looked like a robbery suspect, that was either a lie (grounds for firing) or he didn't follow procedure (also grounds for firing). And regardless, a man died as a result of that.
    Oh I can believe that. And he was going to be fired had already been decided on. I am just not convinced of any specific reasons. Did the police department issue reasons why he was fired?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, silly me, I don't think cops should be killing innocent civilians. That's such an objectionable viewpoint to hold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, silly me, I don't think cops should be killing innocent civilians. That's such an objectionable viewpoint to hold.
    The guy wasn't innocent. He was violating traffic laws to precipitate the stop. He was doing drugs at the time of the stop. He ignored lawful commands to stop what he was doing.

Now your reply "wahhhhh police can hand out death sentences for petty crimes now!?!?!?!?"

To which I respond, yes when they perceive their life is in danger.

To which you then reply, they have no right to defend themselves until the bullets are already flying because they are cops and they signed up to put themselves in those positions.

Then I reply peoples' professions don't somehow give them less right to defend themselves.

We've had this conversation 20 times before Endus.

Watched the dashcam, shooting was justified, officer shouldn't be fired. End of tale.