Page 37 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    When pseudo-intellectuals on an internet video game forum start thinking they know how they'd react to a possibly life threatening situation, you know it's going to be a good day.

If you think you can do better, suit up. I'm sure the local police department is recruiting.

Know about any other countries from where you see these kind of situations (questionable use of lethal force by the police) so often beside US? Maybe they are discussing based on their experience that this doesn't happen much in their countries.

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoJ View Post
    Know about any other countries from where you see these kind of situations (questionable use of lethal force by the police) so often beside US? Maybe they are discussing based on their experience that this doesn't happen much in their countries.
    Know any other countries where there is an 'open season' declared on LEOs? One that is not only popularized in the media but also considered 'part and parcel' of living in the urban jungle?
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Police did the right thing. Deadly force is justified in life threathening scenarios. Even police in my country would have shot her. Dont threaten people with knifes. Easy as that.
    And which country would that happen to be, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by Fibh View Post
    History with police? Check.
    Mental health problems? Check.
    Weapon? Check.

Yeah, I wonder why she was shot. Must've been race.
    /thread

Seriously. Cops show up and someone's running around with a weapon in their hand. What did we all think was going to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Fibh View Post
    History with police? Check.
    Mental health problems? Check.
    Weapon? Check.

Yeah, I wonder why she was shot. Must've been race.
    So, based on your quote, if you have mental health issues, you can be shot... Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    The only time they are trained with knives is when they are cutting a donut in half to split it.
    Mmmmm....
    Donuts

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    How are americans finding this normal and logical?
    There are ways to take her down without using a gun you know. I guess not.
    Normal and Logical are two words that should never really be used in conjunction with American and Guns, since when it comes to guns, Americans are anything but logical or normal.

I mean, what did you expect? This is a country which has literally decided that letting astronomical numbers of people die every year due to guns is an acceptable price to pay for "muh freedomz". A country which stood by and watched as shit like 20 kids in an elementary school or nearly 50 people in a nightclub get gunned down and the collective response of society is: whelp, that was aweful, and then promptly ceased to really give a fuck. You can't really expect normal or logical from any society that has come to the collective conclusion that senseless loss of life is a perfectly acceptable price to pay so that any potential psychopath with a grudge can have his right to own a firearm protected by law.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Normal and Logical are two words that should never really be used in conjunction with American and Guns, since when it comes to guns, Americans are anything but logical or normal.

I mean, what did you expect? This is a country which has literally decided that letting astronomical numbers of people die every year due to guns is an acceptable price to pay for "muh freedomz". A country which stood by and watched as shit like 20 kids in an elementary school or nearly 50 people in a nightclub get gunned down and the collective response of society is: whelp, that was aweful, and then promptly ceased to really give a fuck. You can't really expect normal or logical from any society that has come to the collective conclusion that senseless loss of life is a perfectly acceptable price to pay so that any potential psychopath with a grudge can have his right to own a firearm protected by law.
    Yeah, we do not deny someone their Constitutional rights based on possible crimes. They actually have to be guilty of such before we do.:P

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Yeah, we do not deny someone their Constitutional rights based on possible crimes. They actually have to be guilty of such before we do.:P
    Yet you will deliberately go out of your way to let people who are mentally unstable own firearms. Cause what could possibly go wrong with that. Why not just give them bombs, or chemical weapons while you are at it?

Where there is a will there is a way my friend. If those people didn't have firearms they could have easily chosen a different method to kill. One can't blame the instruments of destruction. One must choose to blame the wielder of such instruments.

Yet you will deliberately go out of your way to let people who are mentally unstable own firearms. Cause what could possibly go wrong with that. Why not just give them bombs, or chemical weapons while you are at it?
    Why not just take away -all- things that could be considered weapons? You don't need that cricket bat! A hockey stick? Sorry, no can do.

Box cutter? Forget it, you might cut yourself! Back to using your teeth, and we might even take those away if you keep smiling at people the wrong way.

I can do 'ad absurdum' too
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Those are quite easy to build with household materials believe it or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just take away -all- things that could be considered weapons? You don't need that cricket bat! A hockey stick? Sorry, no can do.

Box cutter? Forget it, you might cut yourself! Back to using your teeth, and we might even take those away if you keep smiling at people the wrong way.

Box cutters were responsible for the deaths of over 3,000 on 9/11.

- - - Updated - - -

Wheee!
    We have us a real America hater here folks!!

This doesn't phase me one bit

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Thanks for the nice reply and links.

So Finland has a very low crime rate and not really a problem such as the US with drugs/gang related high crime rate. You take out those as a major issue and dis guard the cities which are the most involved in such, you would be surprised what the US crime rate would be. We are a very large country with different culture issues than Europe faces for the most part.

And as far as firearms go, Finland does not have a Second Amendment to their Constitution guaranteeing the citizens the right to keep and bare arms. So it is easier for them to have more strict gun control. But even there, they understand the logic of police officers needing firearms for self protection.

It is not accurate to compare large areas to each other unless those areas are also almost identical in important factors. One reason we can not compare China to the US even if both had the same population. Different cultures and governments.
    So what you're saying is that the US has a Cultural Problem?

Absurdium only works if you do it right. See, those other things, the are not considered weapons. They can be used as a weapon, but they are not considered to be weapons. Do you know what is a weapon? A gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. It is not legal here to possess a firearm if you have had mental issues and are under treatment for such. Also there are other restrictions.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, what did you expect? This is a country which has literally decided that letting astronomical numbers of people die every year due to guns is an acceptable price to pay for "muh freedomz"
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604

13,286 in 2015 out of over 300 million is not an "astronomical" number.

Absurdium only works if you do it right. See, those other things, the are not considered weapons. They can be used as a weapon, but they are not considered to be weapons. Do you know what is a weapon? A gun.
    'considered' to be a weapon. Sorry, but I think this is where the conversation diverges.

When your argument disproves your own argument.

Just like the hockey stick and cricket bat, the pistol/rifle/shotgun is at the whims of whoever's intent is piloting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    So what you're saying is that the US has a Cultural Problem?
    Yes we do. Or unique ones in some aspects. Which other countries may not have.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Wheee!
    We have us a real America hater here folks!!
    Do you have a counter argument? Personally, I kind of like America. I mean, sure, your current President is a human shitstain, your Political system is a fucking circus, your ideas about what qualify as a viable healthcare system are a joke, and your stance on firearms is just simply sad, but other than that, your country is a fairly decent place. You have some fairly kickass national parks too. Well, currently have. God only knows how long those are going to last under the current administration.