Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    So what you're saying is that the US has a Cultural Problem?
    Probably more of an urban "problem". Outside of the large metropolitan areas, I would think the US would have a pretty low crime rate.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    Do you have a counter argument? Personally, I kind of like America. I mean, sure, your current President is a human shitstain, your Political system is a fucking circus, your ideas about what qualify as a viable healthcare system are a joke, and your stance on firearms is just simply sad, but other than that, your country is a fairly decent place. You have some fairly kickass national parks too. Well, currently have. God only knows how long those are going to last under the current administration.
    See? Can't help yourself... I shall have to fall back on my mantra. Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    'considered' to be a weapon. Sorry, but I think this is where the conversation diverges.

When your argument disproves your own argument.

Just like the hockey stick and cricket bat, the pistol/rifle/shotgun is at the whims of whoever's intent is piloting it.
    You still haven't proven that any of those things are weapons. Quick. Is your keyboard a weapon? By your logic it is, because it could be used to bludgeon somebody, therefore it should be "considered" to be a weapon.

It's a fucking stupid argument to make, because literally anything sufficiently sturdy enough to cause bodily harm could be considered a weapon. My socks? Weapon. That bowl? Weapon. That can of soup? Weapon. IPhone? Weapon.

You still haven't proven that any of those things are weapons. Quick. Is your keyboard a weapon? By your logic it is, because it could be used to bludgeon somebody, therefore it should be "considered" to be a weapon.

It's a fucking stupid argument to make, because literally anything sufficiently sturdy enough to cause bodily harm could be considered a weapon. My socks? Weapon. That bowl? Weapon. That can of soup? Weapon. IPhone? Weapon.
    Strangle, actually. You'd have more luck strangling someone with the cord.
    You're not to think you are anything special. You're not to think you are as good as we are. You're not to think you are smarter than we are. You're not to convince yourself that you are better than we are. You're not to think you know more than we do. You're not to think you are more important than we are. You're not to think you are good at anything. You're not to laugh at us. You're not to think anyone cares about you. You're not to think you can teach us anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    See? Can't help yourself... I shall have to fall back on my mantra. Haters gonna hate.
    Truth hurts, hunh.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by piethepiegod View Post
    to serve and protect they should have the training to talk down a mentally ill person if possible or the training to disarm like the brits do. if neither of those are possible i'm all for shooting.
    They do have that training, but if someone comes at you with a knife, there are only so many options. Disarming someone with a knife is not easy - television makes it look like it should be, but it's not.

Probably more of an urban "problem". Outside of the large metropolitan areas, I would think the US would have a pretty low crime rate.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah outside of where all the people are we have a low crime rate, thanks genius. That's like saying there are no shark attacks in Arizona. The U.S. has an astronomical gun problem at this point, and pretending we don't while 963 people were killed by police last year and thousands were murdered by others doesn't help. Sure banning guns isn't the answer, but pretending everything is fine is absurd.
    "Small Government!" the GOP screams.
    Municipalities pass municipal legislation
    "No, not THAT SMALL!" the GOP screams, louder this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604

13,286 in 2015 out of over 300 million is not an "astronomical" number.
    I wonder what they consider "mass shootings". Ones that involve more that one?
    Of those deaths, I wonder how many involved police.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    Strangle, actually. You'd have more luck strangling someone with the cord.
    Nah, Bludgeon. Definitely Bludgeon. Never seen the movie Wanted I take it?

- - - Updated - - -
    I wonder what they consider "mass shootings". Ones that involve more that one?
    Of those deaths, I wonder how many involved police.
    Reading the article you quoted is apparently hard:

Mass shootings: There were 372 mass shootings in the US in 2015, killing 475 people and wounding 1,870, according to the Mass Shooting Tracker, which catalogues such incidents. A mass shooting is defined as a single shooting incident which kills or injures four or more people, including the assailant.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2017-06-20 at 11:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Calling the police does not make you a criminal, attacking them does. #commonsense
    We have proof she attacked them? Or are you just assuming she did.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-34996604

13,286 in 2015 out of over 300 million is not an "astronomical" number.
    When you put it into comparison with other countries on a per-capita basis, yes, yes it does.

Taken directly from your article:

The number of gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 - the most recent year for comparable statistics - was nearly 30 times that in the UK, at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1.
    I suppose 30 times the number of gun murders as compared to the UK is just "normal" to you then? Remember, this is per-capita.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    We have proof she attacked them? Or are you just assuming she did.
    No, we just have audio recording of her threatening the cops, and them telling her to repeatedly back away and drop the knife for nearly 15+ seconds before they finally shoot her. I guess she was just trying to give them muffins, or maybe a hug for clearing up the whole burgler thing.
    Last edited by Surfd; 2017-06-20 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grauk View Post
    Yeah outside of where all the people are we have a low crime rate, thanks genius. That's like saying there are no shark attacks in Arizona. The U.S. has an astronomical gun problem at this point, and pretending we don't while 936 people were killed by police last year and thousands were murdered doesn't help. Sure banning guns isn't the answer, but pretending everything is fine is absurd.
    Thanks for the compliment.
    I suppose there weren't any shark attack in AZ since they don't have oceanic salt water. Although I do remember reading something about someone finding a dead shark in a canal in AZ one time.

- - - Updated - - -

When you put it into comparison with other countries on a per-capita basis, yes, yes it does.

Taken directly from your article:

I suppose 30 times the number of gun murders as compared to the UK is just "normal" to you then? Remember, this is per-capita.

- - - Updated - - -

No, we just have audio recording of her threatening the cops, and them telling her to repeatedly back away and drop the knife for nearly 15+ seconds before they finally shoot her. I guess she was just trying to give them muffins, or maybe a hug for clearing up the whole burgler thing.
    How about per murders? As we don't know if those are murders. It just states gun deaths. There is a difference.
    May I suggest you take your anti-gun crusade to the gun control megathread.

How about per murders? As we don't know if those are murders. It just states gun deaths. There is a difference.
    Since reading comprehension is apparently difficult for you, I will provide the quote again:
    The number of gun murders per capita in the US in 2012 - the most recent year for comparable statistics - was nearly 30 times that in the UK, at 2.9 per 100,000 compared with just 0.1.
    also relevant, also from the same article (perhaps you should read it):
    Of all the murders in the US in 2012, 60% were by firearm compared with 31% in Canada, 18.2% in Australia, and just 10% in the UK
    Last edited by Surfd; 2017-06-20 at 11:21 PM.

What's wrong with a bullet to the leg and pacify the assailant, instead of shooting them dead? Although I guess it is cheaper long term to shoot people dead right away.

Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    What's wrong with a bullet to the leg and pacify the assailant, instead of shooting them dead? Although I guess it is cheaper long term to shoot people dead right away.
    This is the problem:
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Using a less lethal weapon would be a perfectly good choice, but the "shoot them in the leg!" thing comes pretty much only from people who have no idea at all what they're talking about. No, police are not trained to shoot at legs, for a number of fairly obvious reasons:

1) Hitting a leg on a moving target is much harder than hitting center mass
    2) Shooting someone in the leg is frequently fatal anyways - bleeding out from a femoral wound is common
    3) Shooting someone in the leg will not necessarily stop their advance

Nah, Bludgeon. Definitely Bludgeon. Never seen the movie Wanted I take it?

- - - Updated - - -
    Reading the article you quoted is apparently hard:

Mass shootings: There were 372 mass shootings in the US in 2015, killing 475 people and wounding 1,870, according to the Mass Shooting Tracker, which catalogues such incidents. A mass shooting is defined as a single shooting incident which kills or injures four or more people, including the assailant.
    I missed that part. However it does not not mention how many were committed by police.

I missed that part. However it does not not mention how many were committed by police.
    Which is completely irrelevant. Nice try with the red herring strawman tho.

Since reading comprehension is apparently difficult for you, I will provide the quote again:

also relevant, also from the same article (perhaps you should read it):
    As I stated, perhaps you should take your anti-gun crusade to the gun control mega thread.
    Have a wonderful day.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is completely irrelevant. Nice try with the red herring strawman tho.
    Try the gun control mega thread my friend.
    Have a wonderful day.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Are you saying it is still a astronomical number? IF you are, then you would still count 100 murders per year out of 320 million a astronomical number of murders when you compare it to UK's 10. :P See how ridiculous that sounds? There are more fatal car accidents than the gun deaths from homicides here. And we do not think we have a epidemic of car accident deaths.

What is wrong with the assailant doing what they are told?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. These police officers spend time in training and yet when it comes time to respond to a situation, the response is to gun someone down? Surely, they can do better.