Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Projecting much? I'm upset because people do not understand economics, and how we could help people in Syria, since it would be cheaper and more effective (old/disabled people are still there they suffer and no one cares since able bodied men came here and everyone loves them).
    can you make up your fucking mind? if they're legit refugees then good luck convincing people "we need to improve their lives back home" in the midst of a god damn civil war. kinda makes your wishful thinking fall apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It actually wouldn't be 'cheaper and more effective', by virtue of the fact that you would have to build infrastructure in Syria from scratch versus using the existing systems and simply scaling them up to meet demand. There's also a tricky neo-imperialist argument surrounding nation building these days.
    I think you have no idea about Syria then. It is not country where everything burns, TVs do not exist and shops take water as currency. For Euro we would exchange there we could buy much more supplies than here in EU since prices are low there and high here. Do you get it now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you have no idea about Syria then. It is not country where everything burns, TVs do not exist and shops take water as currency. For Euro we would exchange there we could buy much more supplies than here in EU since prices are low there and high here. Do you get it now?
    No, just a country in the midst of a bloody civil war wherein no funds are being spent to maintain existing infrastructure much less replace the stuff being torn down; to say nothing of the fact the official government is in a shambolic state.

It's cheaper to bring them here and integrate them. But that ultimately doesn't speak to the ethical argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    odd to call it leftist propoganda but ok.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    I think most liberals wouldn't consider this propaganda in he same way scientologists wouldn't consider their shit propaganda either lol.
    YOu seem to think that propaganda has a negative intonation when it doesn't. Lots of things are propaganda in our daily lives, especially when it's political. Calling it propaganda has no meaning, because it's just pointing out the obvious.

Propaganda
    "information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc."
    http://www.dictionary.com/browse/propaganda?s=t

So yes, it is propaganda. And?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maruka View Post
    odd to call it leftist propoganda but ok.
    Human decency has a left-wing bias.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    can you make up your fucking mind? if they're legit refugees then good luck convincing people "we need to improve their lives back home" in the midst of a god damn civil war. kinda makes your wishful thinking fall apart.
    Another poster not knowing anything about situation in Syria. Not whole country burns, not everywhere bullets are flying. But people are starving.
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you suggesting we buy supplies FROM Syria to give TO Syria as aid? You may have phrased yourself very clumsily here, unless that's what you actually meant.
    If that's really what you're suggesting, I truly don't know where to begin responding to you, because such a suggestion is beyond absurd and completely removed from reality.

integrate them
    Well, GL with that. Sweden failed, I guess we need to wait until whole Europe will fall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, GL with that. Sweden failed, I guess we need to wait until whole Europe will fall.
    Given the attitude of just about every Swedish poster on this website it's hardly surprising they suck at integrating foreigners.

Moreover, bringing them in and letting them do whatever is not sound policy in any circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Are you suggesting we buy supplies FROM Syria to give TO Syria as aid? You may have phrased yourself very clumsily here, unless that's what you actually meant.
    If that's really what you're suggesting, I truly don't know where to begin responding to you, because such a suggestion is beyond absurd and completely removed from reality.
    This is how help works in Africa. It is easier and cheaper to feed people in need by buying food locally, than buying it for high european prices and then paying for shipment.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    And what country are you from? I'd like to see if the branch in your eye is larger than the one your pointing at in mine.

Also, would you mind responding to my earlier reply about the economics numbers?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is how help works in Africa. It is easier and cheaper to feed people in need by buying food locally, than buying it for high european prices and then paying for shipment.
    Except, as we've already seen, the help provided in Africa is generally much more effective at propping up kleptocratic regimes than actually helping people.

Another poster not knowing anything about situation in Syria. Not whole country burns, not everywhere bullets are flying. But people are starving.
    man you are really straining my will to take you seriously right now. please, share for the class the exact amount of Syria that A) isn't a hot zone or next to one. B) has the resources and infrastructure in place to not make updating it or maintaining it incredibly expensive. C) give me the exact dollar figure it will cost to fund this lil adventure of yours. if you can't answer A kindly fuck off with your condescension. can't answer B do the same, or in regards to C, get in the real world.

I always wonder why Youtube can't seem to take a hint from the reaction on this types of videos. It brings out the opposing side in a backlash, which is the majority, apparently. Really does their cause more harm than good.

Given the attitude of just about every Swedish poster on this website it's hardly surprising they suck at integrating foreigners.

Moreover, bringing them in and letting them do whatever is not sound policy in any circumstance.
    Well this is what is happening in eg. Germany. Those refuges (or not) are getting cash which they can spend on ANYTHING they want. If they really believe that helping those people have sense in Europe they should have iron rules about how to do it:
    1. Refugees camps should be closed
    2. After civil war ends, refugees are not refugees anymore so they should come back home (instead giving them citizenship as I could read somewhere)
    3. They should never give them cash
    4. If there is outbreak (like in France) police should capture violent units and send them back (as criminals).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    A kindly fuck off
    and so do you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well this is what is happening in eg. Germany. Those refuges (or not) are getting cash which they can spend on ANYTHING they want. If they really believe that helping those people have sense in Europe they should have iron rules about how to do it:
    1. Refugees camps should be closed
    Agreed. They need to be sent to subsidized housing distributed fairly evenly throughout the host country.

2. After civil war ends, refugees are not refugees anymore so they should come back home (instead giving them citizenship as I could read somewhere)
    Say the war doesn't end for another ten, twenty years. Are you really expecting people that have built a life to just pick up and leave because you don't want another kebab shop down the street?

3. They should never give them cash
    Why, exactly.

4. If there is outbreak (like in France) police should capture violent units and send them back (as criminals).
    I don't think anyone is disputing deporting refugees that commit criminal acts, provided they are convicted of such in a court of law.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Seems logical. Buying as close to the country of need as possible cuts down costs and delivery time. But it doesn't really solve the problem or stop people from fleeing, because the war is what makes them flee even if they're not hungry.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    I always wonder why Youtube can't seem to take a hint from the reaction on this types of videos. It brings out the opposing side in a backlash, which is the majority, apparently. Really does their cause more harm than good.
    No, there are groups that sit around and wait for things like these so they can react to them and get upset. Just as there are groups on the opposite side of the spectrum waiting for THEM to do the same.
    And as another poster pointed out, buying locally and storing locally isn't always a good option because government and local leaders cannot be trusted.

and so do you.
    thanks, it only makes this next bit easier for me

a lot of people don't get the fact that assad isn't the evil monster that people have lied and made him out to be.

that little boy that was used for anti-regime propaganda? he didn't flee syria, the rebels used him to push a narrative, then his family fled to the government controlled part of syria, where they live in safety.