Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Pug Breaker & Gear Check Bosses in ToS

Which boss in ToS is the first with mechanics complicated enough to stonewall pugs this first week? (e.g., Elethre, Spellblade...)
    Which is the hard gear check? (e.g., Ursoc, Guarm, Krosus...)
    Which boss will we see the most threads about in the next few days?

The desolate host

If you are talking about normal? Probably just KJ. If you jump into heroic; Desolate Host for sure. There is a lot of shit going on in that encounter. Raid split between 2 realms; when certain abilities happen in one realm the other realm has to counter by moving to certain areas and stack, or spread, move to different areas of the room. The fight has a lot of movement and coordination required. For pugs it's going to be a fucking gongshow.

Deleted
    Mechanics Check: Desolate Host
    Gear Check: Maiden looks like the candidate for that. If she isn't tuned to be that than she will end up as a joke.

Heroic Desolate Host will be rough for Mechanics as stated. Normal is stupid easy.
    Heroic Sisters also will be rough for Mechanics since there's a lot of them and especially the overlap in ultimates has to be handled correctly.

Sisters was faceroll on Normal for my pug, but if all the mechanics actually matter in Heroic I can tell it's going to be a rough one. Same with Desolate Host.

Gear checks, seems like both Maiden and Fallen Avatar will require pretty serious DPS. At least at first. And Hajartan hits hard enough that lower geared raids will stump on him, perhaps.

After already doing a 8/9 clear in a normal pug with 910+ ilevel people, I can tell already tell you that the Maiden of Vigilance will be a pugbreaker in mechanics 100%.

Fallen Avatar is a dps check, we barely made it with 910 ilevel raid wide.
    Pally Collector, 785+ Mounts, 1740+ Pets, 715+ Toys, 34000+ achieves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Sisters was faceroll on Normal for my pug, but if all the mechanics actually matter in Heroic I can tell it's going to be a rough one. Same with Desolate Host.

Gear checks, seems like both Maiden and Fallen Avatar will require pretty serious DPS. At least at first. And Hajartan hits hard enough that lower geared raids will stump on him, perhaps.
    Sisters was insanely easy

Desolate host heroic was pretty ezpz tbh. Our casual guild took about 3-4 pulls to figure out the whole fight with basically no planning and a few people having watched a video.

Shouldn't break up pugs unless they're terrible anyway. I'd rank it easier than spellblade was week one by a substantial margin.

Just attack Beloc and interrupt. When he starts AoE'ing, attack the other dude. Assign a spot for people to get to the edge of the room with quills so they dont hit the raid with the big cone. Receive loot when it dies.

desoalte was one shoot in normal with my pug, not so hard maiden is the pug breaker

15+ Year Old Account
    The Desolate Host was actually pretty easy. I'd say the Sisters of the Moon is the first fight that will cause real wipes in a pug. If they make it far enough, Maiden will be a pain too for pugs.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    For heroic, ssaszine will be a hard stop for pugs for awhile, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Killface1 View Post
    Desolate host heroic was pretty ezpz tbh. Our casual guild took about 3-4 pulls to figure out the whole fight with basically no planning and a few people having watched a video.

Shouldn't break up pugs unless they're terrible anyway. I'd rank it easier than spellblade was week one by a substantial margin.

Just attack Beloc and interrupt. When he starts AoE'ing, attack the other dude. Assign a spot for people to get to the edge of the room with quills so they dont hit the raid with the big cone. Receive loot when it dies.
    Are you by any chance confusing the Desolate Host with the Demonic Inquisition ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes they are..
    Ideally no one has ever hit the level cap of the last expansion, looked at their dungeon blues, and thought "I win."

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...all/chuckabear

Quote Originally Posted by Alakallanar View Post
    Are you by any chance confusing the Desolate Host with the Demonic Inquisition ?
    Explains why they thought it was ezpz

Deleted
    NHC: not a single boss

HC: the first ~2 weeks high wipe counter will start after 3/9 (sisters/mistress/reliquary of souls/maiden/avatar/kiljaeden)
    After 3 weeks high wipe counter will still be around for maiden/avatar/kiljaeden
    Kiljaeden will be the pug killer for several weeks. It will take some time until we will see HC KJ oneshots in pugs.

Only did a few today, but after my experiences in Naxx during WotLK, I've got to go with Maiden. Going thru a raid tier and stating Negative<-------++++++>Positive every pull every raid day there and watching the fail happen does not instill confidence people will handle that part of the fight correctly in an average pug. Add on that you have to tell people to not only pretend to jump to their death in the center of the room with decent timing for bombs, AND having to soak orbs (something people run away from in dungeons and a raid this whole xpac) of matching colors, I don't think your average pugs will kill this boss for a while.

Maiden. One person could run through the group and bomb everyone.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly with sometime I think most pugs will be fine on the first 6 bosses. We wiped a couple times to Desolate Host, but only because of general stupidity. You can actually make a lot of mistakes on Desolate Host that won't cause deaths, and that's true of a lot of bosses in the instance. Mistakes on Desolate host also generally don't kill a large portion of your raid. Maiden however...

We wiped several times on Maiden, literally within the first minute because people went absolute full retard. Mechanically the boss is very easy, but the entire encounter is chalk full with a massive amount of pass/fail checks being thrown at you. It's not a direct comparison to grand conjunction on Mythic Augur, but for Heroic pugs it might as well be. Looking through logs of guilds who generally finish fairly well as far as Mythic progression, and quite a few of them have quite a bit of wipes. Sure some of them are doing splits, but most peoples alts for splits are generally well geared, and numbers.. at least from my perspective of doing the encounter mattered a lot less than not fucking up the pretty straight forward mechanics and causing a wipe.

That said we went from several 80% wipes dying in the first minute, to basically killing it. Like mentioned, it's predictable, straight forward and is one of the easiest bosses to actually explain. It's just that the tuning, from a mechanics stand point is actually pretty brutal and I think this boss will be particularly rough on a lot of pugs.

Avatar mechanically feels easier to me as long as you have tanks who know what they are doing and you have the actual numbers to kill the boss. I'd call Maiden more a pug breaker boss, with Avatar being more of a gear check boss. When we killed Maiden for example, we had 2-3 people dead within the first minute of the encounter and still easily dealt with the encounter (only because the way they died didn't fuck the raid).

Normal none of the bosses should pose much of a threat, as a lot of the dangerous mechanics aren't even present. Heroic just the last three.

Quote Originally Posted by Alakallanar View Post
    Yes, yes I am.