Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Please enlighten us on how Legion is intended to work
    The grinds in Legion are purely optional and there for the people who want to grind. People who don't want to grind don't need to, they'll do just fine.

and why how fast I grinded the insane title is the new thread title
    It's not. It was merely a point of discussion that you're clearly not interested in.

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    The grinds in Legion are purely optional and there for the people who want to grind. People who don't want to grind don't need to, they'll do just fine.

It's not. It was merely a point of discussion that you're clearly not interested in.
    1 - Everything in WoW is purely optional
    2 - Why would you care to discuss how fast I grinded the insane title? See, I'm making your head spin and I didn't even tell you yet how fast I grinded it.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    1 - Everything in WoW is purely optional
    So is thinking, evidently. "Optional" is relative, and some content is more optional than others.

2 - Why would you care to discuss how fast I grinded the insane title? See, I'm making your head spin
    I don't, personally. But someone else did, because you raised the point. If you're not interested in talking about it, then why raise it in the first place. You're right, my head is spinning. I need to stop facepalming so much
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2017-06-19 at 10:17 AM.

Deleted
    All those people praising Vanilla over any expansion; Vanilla apparently had more zones and storylines because it was NOT an expansion.

No expansion will ever have two huge continents and various stories, that's why it's an expansion, an add-on to the basic game. An expansion isn't game 2.0 .
    The basic game obviously took more time to develop and -dare I say- areas were much simpler than say MoP's or Legion's areas.

I like the basic game so much, but you can't complain that Skyrim's Dawnguard DLC had more areas and quest lines than the basic game.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanix View Post
    Yes, Legion is basically about farming.
    Except it's all time gated, and in the case of Artifact Power, I don't really need more anymore.

You could farm Nethershards forever and eventually get a chance at getting gear that is above 880. Or PvP constantly and get a chance at getting gear that is above 880.

So is thinking, evidently. "Optional" is relative, and some content is more optional than others.

I don't, personally. But someone else did, because you raised the point. If you're not interested in talking about it, then why raise it in the first place. You're right, my head is spinning. I need to stop facepalming so much
    Go back to the first page of the thread and read the 3rd post, then keep facepalming until you pass out please

Quote Originally Posted by Ckaelir View Post
    All those people praising Vanilla over any expansion; Vanilla apparently had more zones and storylines because it was NOT an expansion.

No expansion will ever have two huge continents and various stories, that's why it's an expansion, an add-on to the basic game. An expansion isn't game 2.0 .
    The basic game obviously took more time to develop and -dare I say- areas were much simpler than say MoP's or Legion's areas.

I like the basic game so much, but you can't complain that Skyrim had more areas and quest lines than the Dawnguard DLC.
    I think what they're saying is that each expansion is very centered on a specific theme, so there isn't that much variance in the story. Plus, we've been getting into situations where we're just fighting bigger and badder enemies, we're probably going to be defeating Sargeras in this expansion even, we're at least fighting his avatar in ToS. And they've proven they *can* create a lot of very differentiating content, look at Cataclysm.

Also, you can't really call WoW expansions just expansions. They're constantly changing the base game with each expansion, it's not like vanilla is really part of WoW at all anymore. Its ghost exists as content that nobody wants to play, and can even skip by paying some extra money.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you consider fine? How do people get their gear if not grinding? People are just going to be way ahead of you if you aren't getting gear and hoping for those RNGs, and that comes in the form of Mythic+, Nethershard farming, PvP, raiding, etc.

Don't know what's your class but you can grind mobs for hidden artifact appearances.
    Demons in Faronaar for Demonology, Affliction and Holy Paladin
    Nightfallen in Suramar for Fire Mage appearance
    You can farm Inquisitors in Felsoul Hold for a BoP pet.
    Inscription, Tailoring and Enchanting have Level 3 patterns that drop from certain types of mobs in the world.
    While not in Legion zones, new tomes of polymorph were added in 7.0. Obtained by grinding mobs in Dragoblight/Jade Forest on a mage.
    There are videos of grinding hyperspawn mobs like Kobolds or Goats in Highmountain for cloth/BoEs. Those are pretty much obsolete in terms of profit right now.

That's all I have from the top of my head.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HitRefresh View Post
    What do you consider fine?
    Capable of participating adequately in the level of content you're interested in doing with an appropriate amount of effort

How do people get their gear if not grinding?
    "Grinding" or "playing"? I draw a distinction between the two.

If you're just playing the game, you do the following (PvE perspective):
    1) The campaign quests
    2) Daily emissary quests most days
    3) A few dungeons a week (heroic -> Mythic -> Mythic+ as your gear progresses)
    4) Broken Shore quests enough to do the main quest line
    5) Raiding at whatever level you are competent at, maybe dabbling a bit on one difficulty level below your current progression level

Grinding is what you do beyond that:
    1) More WQs than needed for emissary
    2) Heroic/Mythic 0 dungeons you outgear
    3) Mythic + beyond simply doing enough to get a decent chest for the week
    4) Raiding all the difficulties (eg if you're a Mythic raider, doing LFR, normal, even heroic if you're far into Mythic)
    5) Nethershard farming

People are just going to be way ahead of you if you aren't getting gear and hoping for those RNGs, and that comes in the form of Mythic+, Nethershard farming, PvP, raiding, etc.
    Depending on the level at which you wish to participate, you're obviously going to require a certain minimum time commitment to the game. For participating in LFR, that is almost nothing, maybe a few hours a week. For normal/heroic raiding, you're going to need more and so, until at the top end of mythic, going for world first etc, you're going to need to outdo your competition.

The fact is that up to Heroic Raiding, there is very little requirement to grind away, which means that for the vast majority of players in the game, there is no *need* to grind anything, you can simply focus on doing the stuff you enjoy doing in the game. Of course the most competitive players are going to need to grind something (although even there, there is choice in what you choose to grind) but that comes with the territory. How else do you distinguish yourself from those you wish to beat?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Vanilla even moreso
    Not at all. Vanilla may have been grindy, it may have been boring to some people, but you actually had to engage directly with the content yourself if you wanted it done.

In Legion you can just hitch a ride of the LFM train and fly from quest area to quest area without ever dismounting, finishing the quests within seconds.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Try leveling an alt, it is fun when you find a spec with a fun play style and just do the grind all over again for AP etc

Obliterum.

Go to the northern shore of the Broken Isles (Stormheim, specifically) and move eastward along the coast. Every bird and crab you see will be skinnable. If you have a Monk -with Ox Statue- this is particularly enjoyable. You can get away with re-rolling skinning if you don't already have it because after 10 circuits will get you to max skinning. I would advise popping a Darkmoon Faire gathering potion so you can skin twice as fast. You will easily gather 1000 leather an hour.

You can then use it to craft the LW pieces that use 2 Blood of Sargeras. Then craft the rest into the 110/150 Leather/Scale recipes. This will provide roughly 2 Obliterum an hour. Go nuts.

10+ Year Old Account
    i play havoc dh btw, any hidden skins ? i havent got any

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Legion invasions are close to no different than just world quest, saying that they are anything else is far too glorifying. So what do you need professions quests when professions are completely useless, dumbed down and forgotten in Legion anyway? Vanilla had profession quests, and at least it was used for something since professions were a thing back then. Rare hunting is again just a glorified way of finding specific enemies and kill them. Classic had -plenty- of rare mobs with rare items for all different levels. It made the economy run because you could sell those. Treasure hunting really awards absolutely nothing other than done artifact power? How can you even list that there.

Classic literally had you run as max level to different zones to gather materials for whatever it was you needed, killing mobs for profession specific parts or get the use of your mining/herb/skinning if you had either to get what you want. Professions in Legion are useless, it's dead and gone.
    So my question of what exactly does Vanilla have at 60 that isn't still in the game at 110 and not done better? basically ends with "nothing" since everything you listed is done better in every expac post Vanilla including Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Not at all. Vanilla may have been grindy, it may have been boring to some people, but you actually had to engage directly with the content yourself if you wanted it done.

In Legion you can just hitch a ride of the LFM train and fly from quest area to quest area without ever dismounting, finishing the quests within seconds.
    YOu could just be in groups in Vanilla and have things completed for you as well, this isn't a new thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    YOu could just be in groups in Vanilla and have things completed for you as well, this isn't a new thing.
    Not to the extent that you can now, and not in the same way. If you were farming summons when they were relevant in Silithus there was no room for a carry. If you were grinding in Hearthglen in a group you were expected to be helping. I'm not talking about the mechanic of being able to have things completed for you in a group, I'm talking about the actual experience of doing so - if you hadn't noticed it's the norm for world content at the moment.

It's literally built into the game now that you can simply auto-join a group, have the quest completed for you in seconds, and then leave for another one. To argue that this is in any way similar to Vanilla is a pretty blatant lie. One has to question what you actually did in Vanilla to think that they are comparable.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Vanilla and TBC had pretty great grinds from what I remember. WotLK not as great, but at least I can't remember it being very grindy. I actually have no problem with grind as long as it's limited and has a worthwhile reward. Faction grinds aren't a problem for me, but they usually need to be meaningful (rewards that are worth it, but of course not overall essential) and varied (meaning promoting multiple opportunities for reputation gain) to avoid only doing one thing for rep grind.
    Rare (low percentage drop that is) items tied to specific types of mobs are also something I don't have anything against grinding.

Grind is usually dependent on the other systems in regards to whether or not it's enjoyable or not for me. Grinding for something I need is terrible, grinding for something good and worth it, but not necessary, can be very enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Grinding isn't always about advancing your character, and Legion's world content is boring as fuck and largely completable as an observer.
    Grinding in Legacy (Vanilla / TBC) largely involved getting cosmetics that could not be obtained anywhere else, so there was a sense of achievement, once found.

Blizzard nerfed it, so now you can pretty much pay real money to show off your Bling. IMO thanks large to people who didn't want to try very hard, or just trolls. Either way, fans lost out.

Good for Blizzard's wallet, bad for fans who actually gave a shit to farm / grind for rewards.

Cookie-cutter design won, I guess.
    Last edited by Vineri; 2017-06-20 at 03:01 AM.

So my question of what exactly does Vanilla have at 60 that isn't still in the game at 110 and not done better? basically ends with "nothing" since everything you listed is done better in every expac post Vanilla including Legion.

- - - Updated - - -

Except that it isn't. Legion got other things going for it, but certain things like professions, PvP and outdoor collecting it doesn't do good, at all. Even Vanilla is far superior over Legion in those area.

10+ Year Old Account
    all those people recommending sentinax farm, u completely dont understand what im looking for. sentinax is exactly as modern, 2nd generation WoW as it can be.
    im looking for something slower paced, where i get satisfaction from killing mobs one by one, be them elites. dont need to be anything as valuable as nethershards.

i want to enjoy playing my class on retail, without literally oneshotting everything.
    something like twilight grind in silithus back in vanilla

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    is there anything to grind/farm in legion like u could in vanilla ? winterfall firewater from furbolgs or elemental essences ? something that i could just sit for unlimited time and grind certain area/mobs.
    Winterfall firewater and TBC Resist potions became relevant again with the Sundarter pet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khatolic View Post
    all those people recommending sentinax farm, u completely dont understand what im looking for. sentinax is exactly as modern, 2nd generation WoW as it can be.
    im looking for something slower paced, where i get satisfaction from killing mobs one by one, be them elites. dont need to be anything as valuable as nethershards.

i want to enjoy playing my class on retail, without literally oneshotting everything.
    something like twilight grind in silithus back in vanilla
    You can farm firewater/primal fires/shadow/mana/life etc with a low level char with almost no gear and stop xp , and sell it for today's crazy market values, due to a newly discovered secret pet.