Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    fully, unequivocally believe in the freedom of speech.

i believe in not just freedom of speech, but total anarchy of speech. you should be able to say whatever the fuck you want.
    Welcome to a society where people are at each others throats all the time.

Why did you capitalise BELIEVE in the title? How can you believe in freedom of speech? It's not a religion based on non-provable statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    So, legal death threats? Legal bomb scares?
    death threats. maybe not bomb scares, that's a little more serious.

but i've seen rednecks say "i'll kill you" to each other and just mean "i'll kick your ass".

Freedom of speech has 2 components

1. Freedom from government punishing for speech
    2. Freedom of expression in the private world

What I have noticed from the left in America is that they use terms like racism and hate speech so they can form mobs of lemmings to go and intimidate people into not speaking that they disagree with. I believe this is also a form of speech, but it is essentially a rallying cry of being an authoritarian.

If you don't like Milo, then don't go to his event. Don't form a mob to enforce your beliefs. That's my thought at least

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Fundamentally, no speech is "free".

I believe in de-regulated speech, though.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Even in limited free speech such as is in the U.S., people are at each other's throats. But to be fair, it is mostly on the internet, or in forums where there is no threat of physical violence.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dkwhyevernot View Post
    Sadly, FoS in the us is only protected against interference by the government, though?
    It is the only thing it should be protected from, since governments are the only ones who have a monopoly on legitimate coercion.

Having said that, I think this thread is somewhat stupid since I highly doubt that anyone here will say that they don't believe in free speech however I think the 2 things are to be kept in mind:
    1. Harassment, inciting violence etc etc should still be illegal
    2. Calling other people out on the stupid things they say and businesses acting upon them disagreeing with certain things should be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    i highly doubt that's what'd happen.

you can still say some violent, hateful shit to people right now. people aren't constantly at each other's throats now.

I think it doesn't actually exist in its purest absolute form, and probably can't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post

What I have noticed from the left in America is that they use terms like racism and hate speech so they can form mobs of lemmings to go and intimidate people into not speaking that they disagree with. I believe this is also a form of speech, but it is essentially a rallying cry of being an authoritarian.

If you don't like Milo, then don't go to his event. Don't form a mob to enforce your beliefs. That's my thought at least
    So you're opposed to their freedom of speech, and their right to assembly? And you're trying to claim they are "authoritarian"?

10+ Year Old Account
    i highly doubt that's what'd happen.

you can still say some violent, hateful shit to people right now. people aren't constantly at each other's throats now.
    Remove moderation from MMO-Champion for 1 week. I bet you it would be complete and total chaos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post

I mean, when you say "the left" do you mean private citizens that are not apart of the government and therefor do not have to comply to freedom of speech rights, or do you mean politicians and other forms of leftist government that most certainly must comply with freedom of speech rights?

When you say things as meaninglessly vague as "the left", you lose all context in your argument because those laws are applied differently between private citizens and public servants, both of whom can be considered "the left".

Edit: And people that don't like Milo won't go to his event. But they are also going to protest his free speech, as is their free speech rights. Stop acting like the right didn't just spend 8 years protesting a black "librlul" president and his awfully republican health care plan or crucifying a secretary of state for using the same type of email server our sitting vice president uses.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2017-06-21 at 07:34 PM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

15+ Year Old Account
    I do. Feelings dont matter to me.

but i've seen rednecks say "i'll kill you" to each other and just mean "i'll kick your ass".
    They have a "gentleman's agreement" that they're not serious. Say that to any passer by and they are well within their rights to take that as a valid death threat and call the cops on you or SHOOT you (if you're in a castle doctrine state).

15+ Year Old Account
    Remove moderation from MMO-Champion for 1 week. I bet you it would be complete and total chaos.
    Bring me your finest bean. and make it perfect!

10+ Year Old Account

Well, they are red necks after all. I wouldn't put much faith in the linguistic accuracy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Miseration View Post
    Bring me your finest bean. and make it perfect!
    Fooy! Feted!

Yes you can say the most ignorant vile shit as long as you are not advocating violence,

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, they are red necks after all. I wouldn't put much faith in the linguistic accuracy.

- - - Updated - - -

Fooy! Feted!
    Haha. I love ziltoid.. btw... does this truck make my neck look red?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironhorn View Post
    Yes you can say the most ignorant vile shit as long as you are not advocating violence,
    This seems to be the most sensible direction. One which most would agree with.

Say what you wish, but not threats of violence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I believe in both the Constitutional sense of "Freedom of Speech" and the personal aspect of it - that being the right to speak the content of your thoughts, emotions, or biases. I believe that almost anything should be able to be said, the exception being speech that directly exhorts people to violence or calls for the deaths of others. I also believe that a person is *responsible* for the content of their words. If you speak you have to own what you've said, and accept the ramifications of it should people disagree or even decide that they no longer with to associate with you because of it.

In that light I see almost anything as worthy of discussion, dialectic, and/or debate.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead