Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Ive been to Mexico several times When I was in the Navy as well as Victoria British Columbia

- - - Updated - - -

5 fish sticks is a family portion???
    WTF goes to a restaurant for fishsticks?! That's what's on the Childrens menu FFS. I think it's obvious you don't do fine dining more greasy spoon

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    WTF goes to a restaurant for fishsticks?! That's what's on the Childrens menu FFS. I think it's obvious you don't do fine dining more greasy spoon
    As a complete aside, "childrens" menu items should DIAF. Kids should eat the same damn food as the adults. Fuck 'em if they're picky eaters.

Yes, I understand nobody wants to pay for a full adult size meal that the kid isn't going to eat. That's why we can change portions, like we do for the lunch menu or the Seniors' menu. Or, the adult who orders a meal can give the kid part of theirs.

/rant.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks Restaurants in the EU should be mandated to be all you can eat and drink like so many American restaurants?

I just cant believe how much European restaurants rip you off. Just within 20 miles of my home I have 12 all you can eat buffets even though some suck (Old Country Buffet, Fire Mountain, Golden Corral, Infinitos), but I also have 2 Amazing Amish buffets (Miller's Smorgasbord http://www.millerssmorgasbord.com/ , Shady Maple Smorgasbord http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord), 3 all you can Hibachi restaurants, an all you can eat Mexican food.

Nobody should ever leave a restaurant hungry nor should they have to order 2 or 3 meals to get rid of hunger pangs and loosen their belt
    Dude, I can tell you for a fact that the plate on the right does not represent the average size of a meal in European restaurants... the equivalent of 20 peas, 1 piece of fishstick and 7 fries is supposed to constitute the average meal size in a European restaurant? Oh boy..

Sigh, threads like these are pointless.

Deleted
    I went to an Italian restaurant in Germany once and ordered a medium pizza. The fucker was like 25x8 inches

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and in the OP picture every single one of those meals is fucking tiny. 5 fish fingers and a handful of fries is supposed to be a large meal? Try at least 20 and 2 pounds of fries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Only salt and pepper, not very strong seasoning, but the veal has it's own flavour. I agree that it wouldn't work with chicken (a chicken schnitzel is too dry for me, i'll eat it with ketchup). Normally you get a slice of citron to apply to the schnitzel. I cannot talk about every restaurant in the states of course, but i spent half a year in the states and tried a few times, but it was always done "wrong". I think the problem is you don't have the ingredients. This was kinda shocking as i tried to cook for the family i was staying with, but couldn't find "normal" cooking ingredients. Everything was already processed...
    This imo is one of the biggest issues in the US and why resteraunt food is in some ways cheaper and healthier depending where you are..it is REALLY backwards eating like crap is cheap here eating healthy is a premium

Quote Originally Posted by Hansworst View Post
    My point was that Americans often only eat one plate at a "restaurant". If I eat one plate somewhere it's a diner. A restaurant is a place where you spend at least two hours in. Not waiting on food but enjoying multiple courses and drinks.

If that works for you, fine. I avoid "Italian" restaurants like that. Pasta should be secondi. If I see they serve it as main dish I don't even bother to go in. Main should be saltimbocca, Ossobucco or a nice piece of vitello for example.

All those countries you mentioned should have decent Italian restaurants in stead of those Italo-American style places. Italian cuisine offers way more then pizza and pasta.
    They usually have both. I never really understood how people can eat pasta as a starter. It's hearty as fuck and even a child's portion can make me full.

10+ Year Old Account
    It would be a silly thing to make mandatory because some folk simply aren't keen on buffet-style restaurants. I like my food fresh from the kitchen to order. Not sat in a hot tray behind sneeze glass with all sorts of strangers hovering over it. Plus buffets... I'm not very eloquent at finding the words to describe the feeling, but they feel... tacky? In the way a pick and mix is a bit tacky?

There are plenty buffets in Europe but at least from my own experience they aren't especially popular. Maybe less than 1 in 50 restaurants and that's just a guesstimate pulled out of thin air. Why mandate something that isn't popular.

Besides, buffets are wasteful as fuck. Most folk here will ask for a doggy-bag if they cannot finish their meal - but with a buffet the kitchen is always estimating how much to cook and therefore a lot of it will either go to waste, or be re-used the next day (which brings me back to my original point about the food being less fresh compared to a normal restaurant)
    Last edited by Will; 2017-06-19 at 12:03 AM.

Deleted
    They also serve with children's silverware?

Fuck off...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ipaq View Post
    American food in those type restaurant is cattle feed compared to the quality of the ordinary chain in the EU.

Now there is good restaurant in the USD, but you have to pay the right price, or know the right people =D.
    Meh. I've been to shitty Euro restaurants and amazing American ones, and vice-versa From my experience travelling I can't say I've noticed any particular trend either side of the coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    The fuck are you smoking? In Finland about every lunch place has "eat as much as you want" buffet and a shitloads of other places doing that through the clock. Oh, Orlong, I get it now.
    Look at the cutlery...

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Only ever feels that way to an American Granted, too many people in a single UK house is going to make it cramped but, houses in the US are disgustingly large, imo. People really don't need all that space. I won't even go into what you guys could do with smaller housing and the homeless...
    The US' problem with homelessness are not due to space. This country is very large and we have vast areas sparsely populated.

A house in which two visitors need to stand in another room so someone can get up from the couch is... fucking tiny.

Human beings living like that may as well live in closets or tents.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2017-06-26 at 10:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    You'd have a hard time beating the US on meat dishes

And the cost would be lower too.
    This is clearly unhealthy or wasted food.

I think there is a misunderstanding of what you guys call a Restaurant, in Western Europe it would be a more fancy place not a fucking steakhouse. You are comparing things that are not in the same category.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathknightish View Post
    ???????
    I live in Sweden, and we have several restaurants where pasta is the main course. What's the problem with that?
    I know that in Italy it tends to be a starter meal and not as hearty, but I have literally never seen that anywhere else.

Sweden, Denmark, Germany, England, US, Spain, France and all other countries I've been to, 99.9% of the times the pasta courses are made with the intention to be the main course.
    Don't worry mate. No one is taking culinary lessons from the Dutch. They had 1 good 3 Michelin star chef and he fled to Belgium.
    They have notoriously bad taste when it comes to food culture or fine dining, let alone table manners.

10+ Year Old Account
    European countries still have fast food restaurant chains like McDonalds.

Portions in them simmiliar to non-european ones, but prices ofc is way different.

15+ Year Old Account
    OP you are the reason for the dumb ignorant American "stereotyp". Can't believe people like that even exist. Has to be trolling.
    I bet you never even visited Europe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    It would be a silly thing to make mandatory because some folk simply aren't keen on buffet-style restaurants. I like my food fresh from the kitchen to order. Not sat in a hot tray behind sneeze glass with all sorts of strangers hovering over it. Plus buffets... I'm not very eloquent at finding the words to describe the feeling, but they feel... tacky? In the way a pick and mix is a bit tacky?

There are plenty buffets in Europe but at least from my own experience they aren't especially popular. Maybe less than 1 in 50 restaurants and that's just a guesstimate pulled out of thin air. Why mandate something that isn't popular.

Besides, buffets are wasteful as fuck. Most folk here will ask for a doggy-bag if they cannot finish their meal - but with a buffet the kitchen is always estimating how much to cook and therefore a lot of it will either go to waste, or be re-used the next day (which brings me back to my original point about the food being less fresh compared to a normal restaurant)
    I agree, buffet is awful. This is why people like the restaurant "experience", from the setting to the service and of course the food, it is a whole thing that makes you share a good moment with your date/friends. It's not only about stuffing your face like a pig.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangg View Post
    OP you are the reason for the dumb ignorant American "stereotyp". Can't believe people like that even exist. Has to be trolling.
    I bet you never even visited Europe.
    His first mistake was suggesting he eats out for fishfingers and chips

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The US problem with homelessness are not due to space. This country is very large and we have vast areas sparsely populated.

A house in which two visitors need to stand in another room so someone can ge5t up from the couch is... fucking tiny.

Human beings living like that may as well live in closets or tents.
    In some countries loads of people live just like that. Take for example Hong Kong's 'coffin' homes.

-----

I've seen smaller rooms too...

Deleted
    This is a joke thread, right? Americans, staving? Don't be ridiculous. They have enough fat to last them at least a week without food.