Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Oh no people that depend on us from being conquered by other nations feels bads about us on the interwebs. Maybe they will post stuff about us and stuff. Oh no.
    Or, alternatively, it will run the risk of them considering other alignments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump is making US look bad? Well I'll be a monkeys uncle. It's almost like this wasn't an obvious outcome of Trumps presidency, that he'd alienate absolutely everyone, inside and outside the country.

Seriously, what the hell were you thinking for electing someone like him? Really makes me question the quality of schools over there, or if whatever is in the waters of Florida has spread to the rest of the country.
    Last edited by Santti; 2017-06-21 at 11:20 PM.

Our standing in the word is largely diminished, I don't think that this can really be refuted at this point. Our allies have pulled away from us, and have actually mocked our President. Now, not all of this is Trump's fault, some of it is because we managed to have Hillary and Trump as our two main choices. Other nations look at us, and see that we gave ourselves two different shit sandwiches from with to choose. At least Russia likes us a bit more. But then again, they got exactly what they had worked so very hard to achieve. As for the political discourse over the past couple years, it's clear most Americans are horribly ignorant, partisan, and really don't give a shit about being right... only winning matters to them.

I found this rather interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...election,_2016
    Last edited by Machismo; 2017-06-21 at 11:19 PM.

Heh, not only Australians, I can tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by ujx View Post
    It's a cycle. People repost mainstream media articles that are clearly biased and misleading. Go visit r/politics and take a gander. Go look at twitter trending and how they have edited pro-Trump trends. Same with facebook. How do you not see a correlation between what American's are spoon fed and what is popular on social media?
    Are you upset that people don't get their news from memes, like you want them to?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ujx View Post
    It's a cycle. People repost mainstream media articles that are clearly biased and misleading. Go visit r/politics and take a gander. Go look at twitter trending and how they have edited pro-Trump trends. Same with facebook. How do you not see a correlation between what American's are spoon fed and what is popular on social media?
    The correlation being that the articles posted tend to be lurid and sensationalist because that is what attracts public attention, sure. But that's been a thing in media since media was a thing.

And no, social media tends to be considerably less moderate than most mainstream media simply because they are niche markets; CNN and the like do not have that luxury.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Alydael View Post
    No one wants to alienate them, they alienated themselves by choice. Not only that, but if there were really great friends and staunch allies we wouldn't even be having this convo.
    Sounds like the excuse a wifebeater gives to his spouse, honestly.

Here's the thing; if the US starts enacting damaging economic policies, which it might, the fact that relations have soured due to the head of state being a screaming carrot demon will make it far less likely that the US' allies will be in a forgiving mood.

International relations is a game of capital and influence, and the US is burning through both on a daily basis.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Or, alternatively, it will run the risk of them considering other alignments.
    Sure they will. The Chinese or Russians would preserve their ideals so well. The rest of the flies shit posting getting together would be the most legendary paper tiger ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    You do know that saying about friends being the ones to tell you harsh truths?
    I always have my friend's back, always.

Afterwards, when we are relaxing on the couch- I might smack them in the head and call them an idiot for what they did- but in public, "on the street" as it were- they have my support 100%.

If Australia was really our "staunch supporter," I would expect no less.

I think it humorous that many on this forum are insulting Trump by calling him childish when:

1) It was actually the Australian PM that was childish by getting caught saying insulting things about Trump (extremely unprofessional and childish to do so)

2) The people on this forum are childish for hurling petty insults at Trump- they are right on his level.

There is no reason to insult people- you only reveal your own pettiness and immaturity by doing so. Debate ideas- not gossip/ innuendo/ etc. Rise above the muck...... (at least for once- if for nothing else- just to try something new).

10+ Year Old Account
    The best of this thread are people basically saying "yeah so Trump makes the US look like a bunch of backwards shitwads, but who cares what other countries think?!?"

Man, the mental gymnastics it must take just to try and convince yourself you don't look like a complete tool to everyone else for being snookered by a snake oil salesman must be astounding.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    What the fuck kind of nonsensical statement is this?

Seriously. Did you even think at all before posting this?
    Did you my friend?

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The correlation being that the articles posted tend to be lurid and sensationalist because that is what attracts public attention, sure. But that's been a thing in media since media was a thing.

And no, social media tends to be considerably less moderate than most mainstream media simply because they are niche markets; CNN and the like do not have that luxury.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like the excuse a wifebeater gives to his spouse, honestly.

Here's the thing; if the US starts enacting damaging economic policies, which it might, the fact that relations have soured due to the head of state being a screaming carrot demon will make it far less likely that the US' allies will be in a forgiving mood.

International relations is a game of capital and influence, and the US is burning through both on a daily basis.
    Really? When I was studying for my psych degree every psychological study mostly indicated that battered wives had a "victim syndrome," which is very different from what you are claiming. Have new studies come out (I haven't seen any)?

As for "damaging economic policies": What damaging economic policies have we enacted on Australia?

I haven't seen a "carrot demon" yet, so I can't answer that one. (Seemed a bit of an odd statement all around, not really sure what you were going for.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure they will. The Chinese or Russians would preserve their ideals so well. The rest of the flies shit posting getting together would be the most legendary paper tiger ever seen.
    I'm not sure how long you think the US can maintain its lead over China with a series of highly incompetent governments, but the answer is; not very long.

I'm also not sure why you think countries have to share political values to be aligned.

- - - Updated - - -

Really? When I was studying for my psych degree every psychological study mostly indicated that battered wives had a "victim syndrome," which is very different from what you are claiming. Have new studies come out (I haven't seen any)?
    I was not being literal.

As for "damaging economic policies": What damaging economic policies have we enacted on Australia?
    Starting transoceanic trade wars was a part of this regime's campaign platform.

I haven't seen a "carrot demon" yet, so I can't answer that one. (Seemed a bit of an odd statement all around, not really sure what you were going for.)
    In reference to Herr Drumpf.

Afterwards, when we are relaxing on the couch- I might smack them in the head and call them an idiot for what they did- but in public, "on the street" as it were- they have my support 100%.

I think it humorous that many on this forum are insulting Trump by calling him childish when:

1) It was actually the Australian PM that was childish by getting caught saying insulting things about Trump (extremely unprofessional and childish to do so)

2) The people on this forum are childish for hurling petty insults at Trump- they are right on his level.

There is no reason to insult people- you only reveal your own pettiness and immaturity by doing so. Debate ideas- not gossip/ innuendo/ etc. Rise above the muck...... (at least for once- if for nothing else- just to try something new).
    So, if your friend raped a girl, and asked you to lie about an alibi, you'd do it?

After all, you said you would do anything for a friend.

Personally, I would want a friend to try and stop me when I'm about to do something that is beyond stupid.

10+ Year Old Account

How does what he says stack up to "I grab them by the pussy?" and calling mexicans rapists?

No, they aren't. That you hold the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES to the same standard as some random person on the internet only shows that you've let those standards slide.

Why? Probably because you don't want to face up to the fact that you have to tacitly support what he says to save face.

And what ideas has Trump proffered, exactly? His campaign was entirely gossip and innuendo.

I mean ideas that HAVEN'T been shot down in courts of law for being unconstitutional.

But hey, if you want a quick break down:

1) The Muslim ban is religious discrimination that absolves Muslim countries with major economic ties and punishes those that aren't and is entirely a token gesture to convince people not paying attention that "Trump is doing something about terrorists"

2) The wall is a complete farce of an election promise and would cost tens of billions of dollars to NOT fix a problem he's blowing way out of proportion anyway

3) Trump's healthcare law would kick millions of people off of insurance and provide no alternative and is done entirely as a measure to spite Obamacare

4) Trump's behavior on twitter and in speaking, both in his constant flip-flopping of what he says and rejection of facts (how many people were at his inauguration, again, hmmm?) and in sheer attitude, is complete unbecoming of someone who wants respect for anything they say or think, let alone someone who's the president of the united states

How's that for a brakedown?

And you know what? Anyone paying an IOTA of attention isn't even remotely surprised by ANY of this.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2017-06-21 at 11:32 PM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Oh no people that depend on us from being conquered by other nations feels bads about us on the interwebs. Maybe they will post stuff about us and stuff. Oh no.
    You do realize that most other nations would be just fine, right?

Deleted
    Why? I am sorry to inform you, but this pretending to grand stand wins absolutely no battles, it is weak and stupid. Especially when it comes to doing towards people that started off on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    In talks with friends and coworkers from other countries, I can attest that every single foreigner thinks less of our country at least in a superficial way due to his election and how he's acted since inauguration yet still has around 40% approval ratings. Every single one.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Trump is a great man, he is making the ultimate sacrafice for humanity by uniting the entire world in hatred against America.
    Soooo he's kinda like Lelouch vi Britannia?

OT: I dislike Trump and he's an asshole, an idiot and fails to get some basic concepts despite supposedly being a businessman, but at this point it feels like he's the scapegoat of the world. Why now of all times people have a negative view of the U.S. government? While this may be a very low point, that government has been pulling a lot of crap over the last like 100 years no matter which side is in control. It is still a nice country, but its politics have been shit for so long that it feels weird that the rest of the world still has a somewhat positive view of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah they probably polled Melbourne which needs a wall around it for the good of the country.

Up here in queensland where we have less than a fraction of the problems that Sydney and Melbourne have, most people are mostly for Trump. Our media shits all over him of course since much of it is 'partnered' with their American counterparts for news sources.
    I may not agree with what you say but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Is Trump giving Australians a negative view of the US or of Trump? Do Australians differentiate between the two?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland