Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by medievalman1 View Post
    You're clearly quoting, may we have a link to it?
    http://www.employmentlawhandbook.com...-laws/arizona/

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/breaks

These are what I took my info from.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Suck it up butter cup. I've had to work 13 hour shifts with no break.
    Ya..... Fuck you. Working that long with out a break is illegal. So fuck off with this shit advice.

US Department of Labor says you get breaks, if you contact them they will fix it.

If the place where you work can declare you as an independent contractor, you're screwed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    US Department of Labor says you get breaks, if you contact them they will fix it.

If the place where you work can declare you as an independent contractor, you're screwed.
    Actually they don't.

Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/breaks

The scheduling of breaks and meal periods is set by the employer by whatever state laws are in place. Arizona lacks those laws.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Actually they don't.

Federal law does not require lunch or coffee breaks. https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/breaks

The scheduling of breaks and meal periods is set by the employer by whatever state laws are in place. Arizona lacks those laws.
    Lol, never ask a libertarian for labor law advice, this is known.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post

I'm an employee, not an independent contractor, so thanks I'll look into this. Unfortunately, after looking through some of the other things on this thread it seems what my employer is doing might be legal =/

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armakus View Post
    I'm an employee, not an independent contractor, so thanks I'll look into this. Unfortunately, after looking through some of the other things on this thread it seems what my employer is doing might be legal =/
    it does not mean that he is unreasonable. Before considering any legal action, talk to him, explain your situation.

If he's an ass, consider looking for another job, or if you can endure it, then do nothing.

The state department of labor is the one to approach about this, assuming your state has break laws.

The flip side is if your employer pays an hourly wage but is deducting pay for an unpaid break you may have another means to approach the issue, if of course you're working through said break.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    it does not mean that he is unreasonable. Before considering any legal action, talk to him, explain your situation.

If he's an ass, consider looking for another job, or if you can endure it, then do nothing.
    Yeah, I go in again tomorrow, and I'll talk to her about it. They're not unreasonable people, per se, but I guess I'm afraid that since every other employee has the same "guidelines", they won't feel inclined to give me special privileges. If it doesn't work, I'll see if I can just endure it. I'm a senior in college now, and it's the only job I've found that offers a schedule that works for me and pays $14/hour. Not amazing but without a degree I couldn't find much better.

Work something out with your supervisor after providing all documentation for your condition.

If you really wanted to play hardball with your employer, the ADA protects you.

Reasonable Accommodations. As part of prohibiting discrimination, the ADA requires employers to grant reasonable accommodations (changes to a job or workplace) when necessary to help a person with a disability apply for a job, perform the duties of a job, or enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment. Reasonable accommodations include:
    allowing schedule adjustments due to medical appointments
    frequent breaks due to disability-related fatigue
    changes in work hours, location, tasks or supervisors
    allowing an employee to be assisted by a job coach
    providing a sign language interpreter, and
    providing assistive software or equipment.
    Quick warning about the ADA. Depending on the size of your employer, they may not be required to follow the hiring discrimination side of the ADA. Basically meaning, if you got into it with them and use the ADA as a basis for them giving you breaks, they could fire you for your disability as it is detrimental to your employment.
    Last edited by McFuu; 2017-06-22 at 03:33 AM.

Hey all!

I recently started a new job tutoring young children at a nationwide tutoring franchise in Arizona. I love the job (as in, I love the kids that I work with and the environment) but am not so pleased with management. In particular, during an 8-10 hour workday I do not get a single break or lunch period, which I know is against Arizona law. Is there a government department I can contact to anonymously report this to? Or what other types of steps could I take?

I probably wouldn't put up much of a fuss, as the pay is good, but I have epilepsy and not being able to eat for 8-10 hours has been giving me auras and small seizures. Please help :3
    Tell them, "I'm taking my break" if they tell you no, then take it anyway.

If they fire you for it, contact a lawyer and bring them to court. They cannot deny you 2 15's and a 30.

the state labor department, find out if what they are doing is legal or not before confronting people, you dont wanna burn them bridges if you like the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Suck it up butter cup. I've had to work 13 hour shifts with no break.
    Or... don't take it up the ass from your employer like a meek little footstool. Buttercup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    If you really wanted to play hardball with your employer, the ADA protects you.

Quick warning about the ADA. Depending on the size of your employer, they may not be required to follow the hiring discrimination side of the ADA. Basically meaning, if you got into it with them and use the ADA as a basis for them giving you breaks, they could fire you for your disability as it is detrimental to your employment.
    This is something you should look into even if you're not going to use it for this employer, as a person with a disability. Unless you're working with something super time sensitive it is extremely difficult for an employer to claim breaks are outside of reasonable accommodations. This is not something you should be ashamed of or shy to bring up after employed (never discuss disabilities until employment has been established - it's illegal for them to even ask you about them). We have laws specifically for this purpose - you have as much right to meaningful employment as anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I go in again tomorrow, and I'll talk to her about it. They're not unreasonable people, per se, but I guess I'm afraid that since every other employee has the same "guidelines", they won't feel inclined to give me special privileges. If it doesn't work, I'll see if I can just endure it. I'm a senior in college now, and it's the only job I've found that offers a schedule that works for me and pays $14/hour. Not amazing but without a degree I couldn't find much better.

Think carefully how much you like you job before contacting an authority. If you state doesn't have mandatory breaks you could end up loosing your job for trying to get someone into trouble.

Research yourself before going by what is said in here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I can't find where Belloc made that post. How did you quote that?

He most likely deleted it after he seen he was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    That's absolutely criminal. Never seen a better use of America's many guns than to wipe the smirk off the people in charge of this state.
    Have fun because only 21 states have laws about breaks for lunch or rest. The others do not require any break or lunch for any amount of hours worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Speak to your union
    Why would you think they're automatically part of a union?

- - - Updated - - -

Hey all!

I recently started a new job tutoring young children at a nationwide tutoring franchise in Arizona. I love the job (as in, I love the kids that I work with and the environment) but am not so pleased with management. In particular, during an 8-10 hour workday I do not get a single break or lunch period, which I know is against Arizona law. Is there a government department I can contact to anonymously report this to? Or what other types of steps could I take?

I probably wouldn't put up much of a fuss, as the pay is good, but I have epilepsy and not being able to eat for 8-10 hours has been giving me auras and small seizures. Please help :3
    Bring it up casually and if they're defensive or brush you off contact your state labor board. They love to deal with companies like this.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Have fun because only 21 states have laws about breaks for lunch or rest. The others do not require any break or lunch for any amount of hours worked.

I want to say though, even though not required many jobs do give breaks. Usually 15 minutes every 2-3 hours + a 30 minute lunch break.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khuros View Post
    Ya..... Fuck you. Working that long with out a break is illegal. So fuck off with this shit advice.
    It's not. Be less hostile when you don't have the proper info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Verzen View Post
    If they fire you for it, contact a lawyer and bring them to court. They cannot deny you 2 15's and a 30.
    They can, and do. Only about half of the states (northern states, mostly, west and east coast with some in the middle) have laws about it. AZ isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    ADA is usually for 15 employees or more. Also depends on public or private for Title I or II
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab