Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Brubear View Post
    Unfortunately, it looks like Arizona is a state with no legal requirement for lunch or other breaks at work (yay conservative, right to work laws!) so you're pretty much SoL unless there's there's A) something in your employment contract that stipulates medical exemptions to the no breaks policy or B) you can find some major backs to kick off a lawsuit of some sort to see if you can get the law changed. But that's about it.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money...-ariz/9258251/

http://www.azleg.gov/Briefs/Senate/L...ENT%20LAWS.pdf

http://www.employmentlawhandbook.com...-laws/arizona/
    It's that for good reason. Noone should dictate how I run my business, your break is while you're working, eat lunch while working. Slacking on work would be called a break in my book. You have to work hard to get where you.want to be, that's the way it should be.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post

What are they going to do?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    It's that for good reason. Noone should dictate how I run my business, your break is while you're working, eat lunch while working. Slacking on work would be called a break in my book. You have to work hard to get where you.want to be, that's the way it should be.
    Yeah!!!! in fact, why aren't kids working while they aren't at school!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I want to say though, even though not required many jobs do give breaks. Usually 15 minutes every 2-3 hours + a 30 minute lunch break.
    Well, yeah. A rested employee and a happy employee is typically also a more productive one. It's in everyone's interest to keep their employees happy. But going to your states labor department won't do anything.

The 1800's deep south called for you
    Imagine if life really was fair, and all the bad things that happen to you happen because you deserved them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eon Drache View Post
    Well, yeah. A rested employee and a happy employee is typically also a more productive one. It's in everyone's interest to keep their employees happy.
    They're also usually a safer employee. Up until a few years ago my Company used to be able to call guys back to work five hours after their last clock-out. But due to productivity dropping and injuries occurring the carrier and union mandated a 10 hour undisturbed rest period where the carrier could not contact the employee for 10 hours after their clock out time.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Going to repeat what was already said, talk to the department of labor. They will let you know who is right and wrong (based on the law that is).
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Khuros View Post
    Ya..... Fuck you. Working that long with out a break is illegal. So fuck off with this shit advice.
    It depends on the state, in some it would be, in others like Az it isn't.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    What are they going to do?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah!!!! in fact, why aren't kids working while they aren't at school!!!
    Those were fine. It would work very well in today's society especially in unions, It would help them to get work experience to better themselves later in life, it wouldn't be anything like in the past. I know you're trying to be funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    Congratulations on being stupid and letting yourself be subject illegal working conditions?

OT: Contact your states labor department.
    It isn't illegal though. Immoral maybe, but companies are required to treat employees nicely, just to give them a safe work environment and pay them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pvrwizard View Post
    The 1800's deep south called for you
    Implementing it wouldn't be like the 1800's. Do I need to explain it to you like I did to the other dude?

10+ Year Old Account
    Those were fine. It would work very well in today's society especially in unions, It would help them to get work experience to better themselves later in life, it wouldn't be anything like in the past. I know you're trying to be funny.

I know you aren't trying to be funny, but..... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I mean, I provided the link for you to read.

http://www.blr.com/HR-Employment/Per...ge-in-Michigan

They do not need a reason.

As for unemployment in MI it only matters if you quit or were fired.
    If you quit you can't get it. If you were fired you can. (been though it myself and with my brothers)
    Unemployment isn't guaranteed if you were fired though. The cause of you being let go plays a major roll in if your are eligible for benefits. Employers also foot a portion of the bill for your unemployment benefits, so if they can make you ineligible for them, they would like to. This is why employers are required to report to the state reasons for termination of employment.
    Now if the reason for your termination is suspicious, this can be investigated, especially if it violates a protection. Which it says right in your link, they can fire at-will, as long as it doesn't violate local, state, or federal law.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Going to repeat what was already said, talk to the department of labor. They will let you know who is right and wrong (based on the law that is).

Federal law doesn't even require breaks at the workplace, So really he can't do anything.

Less that half really. Seems only 21 states have laws on them

- - - Updated - - -

It's kinda sad how many don't know how bad labor laws in the US still are.
    People normally quickly age out of shitty jobs like this and forget as they move along. You also have people with a mindset well I had to do is so they can too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    It depends on the state, in some it would be, in others like Az it isn't.
    It's just sad to see a 1st world country not having laws in place for that.
    In most of Europe it would cause an uproar... As far as i know child-care jobs around here usually also come with meals you can get at an employee's discount.

This brings up another question;
    Why don't you have breakfast/lunch at the same time the children do?
    I mean; I'm pretty sure a growing child needs at least 2 meals in the span of 10 hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    Right to work states work (no pun intended) both ways. You as an employee can quit anytime you wish. Among other rules.
    You're confusing Right to Work (which was intentionally designed to be a confusing term to disguise its downsides from employees) with At Will Employment which mostly became the default rule under the common law.

And if you want heat, bring your own coal to burn damn it!

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    Unemployment isn't guaranteed if you were fired though. The cause of you being let go plays a major roll in if your are eligible for benefits. Employers also foot a portion of the bill for your unemployment benefits, so if they can make you ineligible for them, they would like to. This is why employers are required to report to the state reasons for termination of employment.
    Now if the reason for your termination is suspicious, this can be investigated, especially if it violates a protection. Which it says right in your link, they can fire at-will, as long as it doesn't violate local, state, or federal law.

I'm telling you. I have worked in MI for about 20+ years now. I know my labor laws here.

MARVIN (MI unemployment) Does not care the specific reason you were fired. They only care if it was beyond your control. EI fired/layed off.
    The only other requirement is how many hours you worked in a quarter.

As for protections, those would only come from the federal level as state has none. Thats what "at will" employment means.

@Armakus talk to your boss. There isn't much else you can do. Most of the people here naively telling you to report them or contact different agencies don't understand your rights and assume you have ones you don't. Any employer worth their salt will take care of you the best they can.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmago View Post
    It's just sad to see a 1st world country not having laws in place for that.
    In most of Europe it would cause an uproar... As far as i know child-care jobs around here usually also come with meals you can get at an employee's discount.

This brings up another question;
    Why don't you have breakfast/lunch at the same time the children do?
    I mean; I'm pretty sure a growing child needs at least 2 meals in the span of 10 hours.
    It doesn't need those laws, I still wonder how you could even run a business with shitty laws. 30day paid vacation? It wouldn't be an issue if it was unpaid but fuck man I ain't paying just so my employees can sit on their ass at home watching anime when they don't even work hard enough to earn it, if you can't show me that you do good work and not slack off why should I give you anything?